Author Topic: Rusty  (Read 14434 times)

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
  • A kiwi with a racing A10 rig and too many projects
    • NZ Classic Sidecar Racing
Re: Rusty
« Reply #30 on: 03.10. 2013 21:11 »
very pleased with how the bearing conversions coming together, have masked and primed the tank, but need to focus on Bender for the coming Barry Sheene meeting at Hampton Downs for the next few weeks.
thought a progress picture was in order
A good rider periodically checks all nuts and bolts with a spanner to see that they are tight - Instruction Manual for BSA B series, p46, para 2.
New Zealand

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #31 on: 04.10. 2013 14:03 »
Lookin' good mate.
Your oil way outrigger looks a lot more professional than mine. The front screw head on mine needed to be thinned, just rubbed the cover.
You must live in a dodgy area. A padlock on a bike on the bench with no innards!
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #32 on: 06.10. 2013 21:10 »
Lookin' good mate.
Your oil way outrigger looks a lot more professional than mine. The front screw head on mine needed to be thinned, just rubbed the cover.
You must live in a dodgy area. A padlock on a bike on the bench with no innards!
Cheers

more a matter of too much time and money invested, but not yet insured  *eek*
And don't want to tempt fate.
An A10 got stolen off a trailer not long ago down country whilst in transit, so scumbags are always a possibility.
The motor with the conversion is actually my race one. spent most of the weekend on it, one of the cam followers kept tightening up when the barrel was tightened down, turned out to be the locator pin needed to be loosened and retightened.
A good rider periodically checks all nuts and bolts with a spanner to see that they are tight - Instruction Manual for BSA B series, p46, para 2.
New Zealand

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #33 on: 16.10. 2013 08:43 »
although rusty is quietly awaiting the Barry Sheene meeting to pass before getting more attention, was at a mates today running up the sidecar motor in its new format for the first time (which was surprisingly uneventful) and over other discussion, my carb direction has progressed from fitting a mono block to going 10TT9   *smile* woo hoo!
I don't need that kidney  ;)
Looking forward to getting back into the road bike, but my barn time is going to be challenged as my 16 year old son has just bought himself a mk2 riley elf project !

New Zealand

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #34 on: 16.10. 2013 10:20 »
my 16 year old son has just bought himself a mk2 riley elf project !

Magic Magic Magic

I had three mini 's fantastic fun cars, never had any of the posh variants though, now see if you can keep your hands off it *smiley4*
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #35 on: 16.10. 2013 21:32 »
my 16 year old son has just bought himself a mk2 riley elf project !

Magic Magic Magic

I had three mini 's fantastic fun cars, never had any of the posh variants though, now see if you can keep your hands off it *smiley4*

It'll be joining his big sisters '64 mk1 morris mini in the barn. At least I will only be directing effort on his car. His sisters Mk1 is a whole different story and I appear to have gained responsibility for that one  *eek*
Two should be enough I hope...
New Zealand

Offline Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #36 on: 17.10. 2013 11:34 »
I agree wholeheartedly ,first car owned owned jointly with my Bro was a '59 morris mini ,stright gear stick, starter on the floor and just 2 switches and the ing key plus rubber mats complete with a first gear that whinned worse than a bsa's 3rd and no floor in the boot, it had rotted almost completely away but everywhere else was solid , I transfered to the car sales dept so at 17 got a car ,more mini's so he drove it for 2 yrs without a hitch then traded in to me and I sold him a 997 mini cooper which must admit was a dog by comparision ,saw that car around for years after , thanks for the happy memories that revived for me RR and Bill ,cheers BobH Ps anyone remember the "vandem plas" mini ,really strange front end if memory serves.
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #37 on: 01.12. 2013 19:56 »
Slightly off topic for this thread, but over the weekend the local BSAOC had its annual rods of bullen run out to Port Albert.
Had a reasonable turn out of twins. Lovely sunny day and nice roads
Sadly one A10 didnt make the start, dropping a rod on the motorway and a Goldie dropped out mid run having lost 3 engine bolts which sounds a little careless.
Rode my B33 as Rusty isnt ready for the road yet.
Many thanks to the organisers!

also a picture of Greg's plunger A10 engine up close
New Zealand

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #38 on: 03.01. 2014 00:38 »
Progress update, apologies for the blurry photo.
bottom ends together although not timing side.
head's away, has a loose guide: the one shown is just offered up to hang the carbie off and is bare.
brakes at both end need doing
need to find various missing parts (levers, electrics, quite a list) and the zorsts are pretty badly shot.
I suspect may be a few weeks till I can organise parts this time of year and need bender reassembled for racing early Feb, but the plan is still to have it running for the autumn (mar/april)

Ended up using a dual pin lining tape on the tank -easy and cheap and have enough to do 10 tanks.
New Zealand

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
« Reply #39 on: 03.01. 2014 09:57 »
So by June you'll have clip ons, rearsets, loose the lights, instruments and guards, add a # plate and go solo racing *idea*.
Lookin' great, mate.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #40 on: 03.01. 2014 19:18 »
you know me too well. having both bikes running on castor does mean I can interchange motors.
The tt carb sure looks nice, well worth hunting for.
Bender runs rod rear brakes on a crossover shaft (using the ariel hub) and I suspect Rusty (might need to change that name now) might need either a shortened cable or rod mod too. So lots of details to work through.
 The front hub is the '69 full width type and still working towards a low key TLS plate in the '60 shape
I've already got one special, so will try and keep this one looking stock.

I've just about got enough parts left over to build another A10 hmm...   but not this year.  ;)

New Zealand

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #41 on: 31.03. 2014 08:29 »
Progress very slow, someone offered me this very late model A7 (Tee five) and I had to borrow more money off the bank  ;)
hope to get the head assembled on the super rocket this weekend. With the amount of things coming together for the first time, I think my new acquisition might be running first.
New Zealand

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
« Reply #42 on: 31.03. 2014 11:43 »
Yum yum, I always wanted one of them. Later Triumph front end???
Cheers
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #43 on: 31.03. 2014 20:32 »
Yum yum, I always wanted one of them. Later Triumph front end???
Cheers

well spotted! the previous owner bought it in 75 and repainted the bike his favourite color when the tank chrome got too daggy, It went into storage 15 years ago and the owner passed away. His son has a very tasty and rare speedway V twin J.A.P.  *respect* and we were chatting and ...
I can't believe how straight it is  *loveit*, unlike the super rocket which wasn't  *work* and is still absorbing much effort and money.
New Zealand

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #44 on: 31.03. 2015 21:34 »
Back to the a10... progress has been very slow, too many distractions. However finally making some progress on the front wheel.
I want the look of a stock super rocket but also want better brakes and my compromise is using the later '69 type  full width hub (as most people do) but using a stock looking 60/61 type brake plate.
This will contain TLS internals and linkages but be very low key unlike the '69 type plate which isnt.
Here is a progress shot taken this week  of the inside mods to a stock brake plate

Next big thing is the exhausts...bought some ex UK from a reputable supplier and they dont quite fit  *problem* so will probably get some made that do.

Oh and the triple has a number of things that were not quite right (and those engines need to be right) so that has swallowed quite a lot of money (what a surprise) and isnt going either yet.
New Zealand