Author Topic: New member in Dorset UK  (Read 1004 times)

Offline cosmikdebriis

• Moving Up
New member in Dorset UK
« on: 07.03. 2012 00:12 »
Hi...

Just joined the forum having just bought (most of) a plunger A10. Last owned an A10 25 years or so ago so it should be interesting to see if it lives up to my memories.

Bike has an strange history as the guy I bought it from told me the previous owner had a chair on it. Nothing too strange about that but apparently he didn't ride the bike but drove it from the chair *eek*

Bike still has a gearbox sprocket bolted underneath the bottom yoke that used to be part of some weird chain driven steering mechanism ;)

Unfortunately the chair no longer exists so I doubt I'll ever really know how it worked.

Anyway, looking forward to learning a few things from you guys.

I'm not going for a complete restoration, just an engine re build then a sort of flat tracker look.

Out of interest I also own two Kawasaki W2 Commanders so that should make an interesting comparison.

http://home.freeuk.com/klawsuc/

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
Re: New member in Dorset UK
« Reply #1 on: 07.03. 2012 06:12 »
 G'day cosmikdebriis,
                            welcome to the forum. That's a mouthful of a name. Is it from a W bomb? *smile*
 I remember seeing a rig like that about 30 years ago at Bathurst bike races. The amount of double takes as he rode (drove) along was constant. *yeah*
 Good luck with your build.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline cosmikdebriis

• Moving Up
« Reply #2 on: 07.03. 2012 14:11 »
Thanks for the welcome.

No, "cosmikdebriis" is a reference to a track by Frank Zappa. I've been using it on forums for so long now it's just stuck *conf*

Anyway, top is off the engine now and so far, so good. Not the usual mess of metric bolts and Red Hermetite  *roll*

Can't find my mag puller which is a bit frustrating, but I'm sure it will turn up when I'm looking for something else *smile*

Offline tombeau

• Resident Legend
« Reply #3 on: 07.03. 2012 16:49 »
Hi,
BSA twins and triples by Roy Bacon shows a picture on p52 of a
Plunger BSA twin outfit being "driven" by a chimp. It was built by the Army Mechanical Transport School. Wonder if it could be yours?

Offline cosmikdebriis

• Moving Up
« Reply #4 on: 07.03. 2012 20:15 »
Looking at the only real evidence I have, it's quite difficult to be sure what has happened in the bikes past.

Picture below shows the bike as I bought it. The seat, tank and rear mudguard are not attached.

Front ally plate seems to show it's been raced but engine is bog standard low compression pistons etc.

The tyre profiles are square so definite signs of sidecar use. Tread pattern is road style so probably not on the dirt?

Plenty of extended cables etc to show it was modified to be driven from the chair but the throttle clutch etc are also connected for normal use.

I'm assuming it was raced with the chair on because I find it hard to believe someone would remove the chair and then race it with square edged tyres. *eek*

It's all very confusing  *conf*

Offline Backbeat

• Moving Up
« Reply #5 on: 07.03. 2012 23:55 »
G'day cosmikdebriis,
Welcome to the forum from another newbie *smile*   Lots of knowledge on here to tap into.
Looks like an interesting project you have there, good luck with it.

Cheers
Dunc
1960 A10 SR

Offline a10 gf

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF
« Reply #6 on: 11.03. 2012 19:16 »
And a welcome to you, am hoping you will find the forum useful.

Stand with
A10 GF '53 My A10 website
"Success only gets you a ticket to a much more difficult task"

Offline WozzA

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Melbourne Australia
« Reply #7 on: 11.03. 2012 22:24 »
Welcome...  *smile*   I had one of those W models many years ago... 
'51 Golden Flash Plunger
'57 Golden Flash Swingarm

Melbourne
The biggest lie I tell myself is
"I don't need to write that down, I'll remember it"