Author Topic: Hello from Maine  (Read 682 times)

Offline mfhutchins

• Moving Up
Hello from Maine
« on: 31.01. 2012 22:51 »
My name is Mike Hutchins and I am getting ready to reassemble my A10SR engine.
I previously had an A50 Royal Star.  In fact, if you go to the BSA wikipedia page the Royal Star halfway down the page on the right is mine.
I sold it to a guy who owns a chain of restaurants called British Beer Company.  He hung it on the wall of one of his new restaurants in Massachusetts.
I've always dreamed of having a Super Rocket, especially the better ones produced between '61-'63.  Mine is a '63.  It has all the bells and whistles.  Larger tank, luggage rack, crash bars, etc.
I bought it complete and half-restored from some guys in Rhode Island.  Their friend owned it and was in the middle of restoring it when he got cancer and died.
I got a great deal on it.  Thing is, i had to make a deal with the devil (wife) to sell both of my bikes (the A50 and a '76 Honda CB550 cafe) in order to buy it.
Since i really wanted the pre-unit A10 and knew that i could always get another 550F, i bought it.
Don Hutchinson in Wakefield, Mass. has just finished boring the cylinders a few thousandths, honing and getting me some new pistons.  From what they told me, the cylinders were different sizes and it would only be a matter of time before the larger one started smoking.  i guess there is an allowable difference between the two but mine was too great.
The reason i pulled the engine apart and split the cases was to check the sludge trap.  I've learned its always best to go through a new bike.  It can save a lot of agony down the line.  It happened to be very clean.  The engine looks brand new inside and out and i expect it to take me a few weeks of putting it back together carefully, getting my new Avon tires put on and installing all new cables before i'm finished with her.
I will undoubtedly have some questions during the assembly process.

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
Re: Hello from Maine
« Reply #1 on: 01.02. 2012 05:59 »
 G'day Mike, welcome to the forum.
                                               Looks like a fairly easy resto for you. Nice score.
 Looks like you parked it over the spot where the 550 was, as a BSA garage floor would be a lot cleaner. LOL. ;)
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Online trevinoz

• Newcastle, N.S.W. Australia.
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: Hello from Maine
« Reply #2 on: 01.02. 2012 20:19 »
Hi Mike,
                 Looks like you have one of these.

Trev.