Author Topic: 1952 Flash in India  (Read 2205 times)

Offline anjimehra

• Valued Contributor
    • venture on wheels
1952 Flash in India
« on: 21.11. 2011 07:42 »
Hi guys
Took the Flash out for her first x country run post monsoons yesterday & she behaved beautifully for the full 180 kms run through the back roads near Pune.

On the way back unfortunately hit a very deep pot hole at around 40 mph & the top & bottom shrouds of the TOP spring jammed together in the compressed position. Any thoughts on how I can free up the top spring other than dismantling the rear end. They are locked really tight together.

Attaching a few photos of the ride.

Thanks
Anji

Offline anjimehra

• Valued Contributor
    • venture on wheels
Re: 1952 Flash in India
« Reply #1 on: 21.11. 2011 07:57 »
Heres another taken at a nearby dam
Anji

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 21.11. 2011 10:13 »
Heya Bloke,
                Um, I'm guessing but maybe the bottom(rebound )springs are causing the problem, in that the only reason I can think of in 4 seconds is that when you've hit the hole the bottom shrouds have 'overlocked if you know what I mean'-I s'pose that's how it'd go?? Possible remedy, go find the fattest heaviest dudes you can find to sit on it(or similar) and jiggle the shrouds till they untangle themselves.??  know this might sound a bit unconventional but can't see any other way they'd get tangled,and it seems no-one else's come up with anything?? And another odd thing- I ain't kiddin'- Good luck, duTch

ps The only other way is maybe go hit the hole again
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #3 on: 21.11. 2011 10:17 »
G'day Anji,
              You should be PROUD of the job you have done on her, she looks GREAT.
Try loosening the pinch bolt through the spindle clamp lug (middle bit for axle). You could try taking out the bottom bolt and top screw out and give the shaft a tap or two.
Never seen that before.
Cheers
 Dutch beat me, give that a try too.
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline Goldy

• Warwickshire, England
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #4 on: 21.11. 2011 18:02 »
Fantastic anji apparently your model was the origin of the name "golden" flash
56 A10 Golden Flash - Restore, ride, relive.                                          
56 C12 BSA project ongoing

Online Brian

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Mt Gambier, South Australia.
« Reply #5 on: 21.11. 2011 23:22 »
Thats a bit unusual Anji, the inner sleeve has somehow jammed on the shaft. You may well have to dismantle them to see what has happened.

If you do dismantle them be very carefull as the top spring is the big one, if its fully compressed it will have a lot of force behind it when it lets go.

Offline anjimehra

• Valued Contributor
    • venture on wheels
« Reply #6 on: 22.11. 2011 05:58 »
G'day Anji,
              You should be PROUD of the job you have done on her, she looks GREAT.
Try loosening the pinch bolt through the spindle clamp lug (middle bit for axle). You could try taking out the bottom bolt and top screw out and give the shaft a tap or two.
Never seen that before.
Cheers
 Dutch beat me, give that a try too.

G'day Muskrat

Thanks for your appreciation of the Flash. It was helped along  by useful tips from friends like you  on the forum . As a comparison, attaching a few snaps of pre restoration
Regarding the plunger, the compressed top spring assbly is free on the shaft & slides up & down. Its just that the top & bottom spring shrouds  have locked into each other with the top spring fully compressed. Iam reluctant to take it off in the compressed state as it would be safer to have the spring open on the spindle thereby eliminating possibility of smashed fingers & faces!!!!!!!!!
Since its free on the shaft , bouncing the suspension is not really an option
Anji

Offline anjimehra

• Valued Contributor
    • venture on wheels
« Reply #7 on: 22.11. 2011 06:05 »
Thats a bit unusual Anji, the inner sleeve has somehow jammed on the shaft. You may well have to dismantle them to see what has happened.

If you do dismantle them be very carefull as the top spring is the big one, if its fully compressed it will have a lot of force behind it when it lets go.

Hi Brian

Agree its a bit unusual . Actually, the inner sleeve hasn't jammed on the shaft. Whats happened is that the inner & outer shrouds have jammed in each other & got stuck with the spring fully compressed. The whole assembly is free on the shaft. In view of the dangers involved I would prefer to separate the 2 shrouds in situ & then rwemove the plunger assbly as a whole to check out the problem.

Thanks for your advise Brian
Anji

Offline anjimehra

• Valued Contributor
    • venture on wheels
« Reply #8 on: 22.11. 2011 06:16 »
Fantastic anji apparently your model was the origin of the name "golden" flash

Thanks Goldy. Yes, I think these were the few plunger Flashes which were suopplied in gold. Attaching a few WIP photos

Ride safe
Anji

Offline anjimehra

• Valued Contributor
    • venture on wheels
« Reply #9 on: 22.11. 2011 06:20 »
Heya Bloke,
                Um, I'm guessing but maybe the bottom(rebound )springs are causing the problem, in that the only reason I can think of in 4 seconds is that when you've hit the hole the bottom shrouds have 'overlocked if you know what I mean'-I s'pose that's how it'd go?? Possible remedy, go find the fattest heaviest dudes you can find to sit on it(or similar) and jiggle the shrouds till they untangle themselves.??  know this might sound a bit unconventional but can't see any other way they'd get tangled,and it seems no-one else's come up with anything?? And another odd thing- I ain't kiddin'- Good luck, duTch

ps The only other way is maybe go hit the hole again

Hi Dutch
Tried bouncing the rear over potholes. Didnt work as the top & bottom shrouds have locked into each other  & just slide up & down on the shaft as an assbly. Thanks for the suggestion Dutch
Anji

Offline a10 gf

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF
« Reply #10 on: 22.11. 2011 14:33 »
Excellent to see story & photos about the bike, thanks for posting. Maybe present one of your pictures in the 'best picture' board?

ps, may be better to not mix post content, just make new topics as needed, f.ex. the plunger spring problem would find a better home in the 'frame' board.

Stand with
A10 GF '53 My A10 website
"Success only gets you a ticket to a much more difficult task"

Offline anjimehra

• Valued Contributor
    • venture on wheels
« Reply #11 on: 22.11. 2011 17:47 »
Excellent to see story & photos about the bike, thanks for posting. Maybe present one of your pictures in the 'best picture' board?

ps, may be better to not mix post content, just make new topics as needed, f.ex. the plunger spring problem would find a better home in the 'frame' board.

Hi A10 GF

Thanks. The bike is running thanks to your kindness in sending me the rocker shaft. I would love to meet you & host you here in india as & when you decide to come
I will take your advice & trey & post the querie on the FRAME board, but you will have to advise me how to do this
Thanks once again
Anji

Offline a10 gf

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF
« Reply #12 on: 22.11. 2011 18:06 »
thanks to your kindness in sending me the rocker shaft
Very nice to read it was useful in helping getting a bike running.

& host you here in india
That'd be great indeed. I was in India many, many (30?) years ago, a 1 month holiday visiting several places. Would be nice to do that again, but sadly, health is not at it's best ftm, but your invitation made me think...

post the querie on the FRAME board
A little late now, as the plunger content is well embedded inside the bike presentation post. And you get help with the problem, that's the important.

And you've done a fantastic job with the A10.
e

Stand with
A10 GF '53 My A10 website
"Success only gets you a ticket to a much more difficult task"

Offline mike667

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #13 on: 23.11. 2011 01:54 »
beautiful bike!

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #14 on: 23.11. 2011 16:02 »
Hey Anji,
             As the others say, it is a nice looking job you've done, good competition for a10gf...! You've probably already figured this, but a suggestion for when you dismantle the units (if not already done?),to contain springs from exploding, as you slide out the main column/shaft, replace it with a length(needs to be ~350mm,to exceed free spring length)  of threaded rod and BIG 1" +hole washers on each end to contain spring assembly. Maybe slide the shaft up first and put bottom washer in, then the T.rod can go down inside the shaft as it goes out the bottom, then wrestle unit out of frame and unscrew the nuts to slowly release the Sp. tension....something along those lines anyway,but keeping one nut close to(bottom?) end of T.rod , I hope you get the drift. good luck, duTch
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia