Author Topic: 1952 Flash in India  (Read 2201 times)

Offline fido

• Ferdinandovac, Croatia
  • Resident Legend
Re: 1952 Flash in India
« Reply #15 on: 23.11. 2011 19:01 »
Hi Anji,
I used to exchange emails with a BSA enthusiast in India called Joji, I think he lived in the Pune area. I wondered if you might have met him:

Offline anjimehra

• Valued Contributor
    • venture on wheels
« Reply #16 on: 25.11. 2011 11:43 »
Hi Anji,
I used to exchange emails with a BSA enthusiast in India called Joji, I think he lived in the Pune area. I wondered if you might have met him:

Hi Fido
Cant recall meeting anybody by that name in Pune, Fido. Judging by the umber on the bike, Jojis probably from Hyderabad. how long back was this. Have you been to India?
Anji

Offline Gavin

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #17 on: 26.11. 2011 05:45 »
Not sure if you have resolved the problem yet, but I'd be inclined to "seal" the compressed plunger with what we call cable ties, or electrical ties. I'd use a few of them, keep the compressed assembly compressed, remove it, knowing it can't escape and "explode" on you. Then manage the "uncompressing" in your vice or similar.

Offline anjimehra

• Valued Contributor
    • venture on wheels
« Reply #18 on: 27.11. 2011 15:46 »
Not sure if you have resolved the problem yet, but I'd be inclined to "seal" the compressed plunger with what we call cable ties, or electrical ties. I'd use a few of them, keep the compressed assembly compressed, remove it, knowing it can't escape and "explode" on you. Then manage the "uncompressing" in your vice or similar.

Hi Gavin

Thanks for the advice. I finally decided to strip the plunger assbly & now have the offending member off the bike. I cant figure how it could have jammed so tight. Its refusing to budge. The spring is locked solid fully compressed. Will let you know how I get on
Anji

Offline fido

• Ferdinandovac, Croatia
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #19 on: 28.11. 2011 19:47 »

Hi Fido
Cant recall meeting anybody by that name in Pune, Fido. Judging by the number on the bike, Jojis probably from Hyderabad. how long back was this. Have you been to India?
Anji

No, I have always wanted to visit India but have never managed it so far. It is some years since I lost  contact with Joji, the usual story, hard disc failure and email address book lost.

Offline Gavin

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #20 on: 29.11. 2011 11:47 »
Let's know how you get on.... I imagine a replacement spring, or set of them, may be worth considering.

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #21 on: 30.11. 2011 10:10 »
Hey Anji, Any chance to post pictures of the offender, in all guises,before and when you get it apart I'd be interested in the spring specs (#coils,wire size,O.D.,free length) to compare with what Peter gave me a while back-thanks again Pete!
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #22 on: 05.12. 2011 12:20 »
Hey Anji I had another think(because I've been playing with my units) that I wonder if because the springs expand as they compress, are larger O.D. than they should be and have stretched the inner shroud so that it has blown out and engaged the outer?? I know that even though these units are simple, it's necessary to think backwards,sideways and upside-down at the same time to understand them fully. I  lost track of my shrouds long ago, and have lately been creating 'internal dust covers' and exposed springs. cheers duTch
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia