Author Topic: New Member, New Project.  (Read 2838 times)

Offline RoadRunner

• A's Good Friend
  • Thinking Time
Re: New Member, New Project.
« Reply #15 on: 16.11. 2011 23:00 »
Hi Richard, All depends which dealer you mean, there's one or two around, only one dealer nearby deals only on the web which is a shame.

As for tools I bought just two really decent spanners since I replaced 90% of fixings with stainless being as I didn't have the originals - not sure of the quality off ebay?

If you need tinware/tanks fixing know of a great guy in north Notts if you can put up with the abuse!

Get cracking before the temp drops!

Roadrunner

Offline Goldy

• Warwickshire, England
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #16 on: 18.11. 2011 16:28 »
C and d used to be in Acocks Green, Birmingham but have moved to Henley in Arden, but not far away http://www.canddautos.co.uk/
56 A10 Golden Flash - Restore, ride, relive.                                          
56 C12 BSA project ongoing

Offline Bronco-BSA

• Active
« Reply #17 on: 20.11. 2011 13:39 »
Finally picked the bike up yesterday, looks like I've got my work cut out. Due to the bits I've got or haven't this is going to be a cafe racer project. My first job is to go through everything and see exactly what parts I've got and also check the engine and frame numbers out. Which brings me to my first question? The front wheel hub appears to be from a Suzuki GT750, what forks will fit both frame and hub and what modifications am I going to have to make?

Offline Pilgrim

• North Kent. U.K.
  • A's Good Friend
« Reply #18 on: 20.11. 2011 14:19 »
Hi Richard,
Looks like you're going to be kept out of mischief for some time with that project!
Do you think I should warn e-bay? At least being on this forum you're in the right place
for plenty of help and info.   
Don't forget to keep us in touch with your progress.
Cheers.
Regards, Geoff.
1962 R.G.S.
1963 R.G.S.
2004 Bonnie. T100.

Online bl**dydrivers

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #19 on: 20.11. 2011 21:55 »
Hi Richard, welcome to the forum and Im Tony

You sure have got allot of work with that project, if you want it back to a standard machine. It doesnt look much different from how myn looks, at least myn came with BSA forks and hubs.

Post some progress pictures, Im sure everyone would like to keep upto date with it and will keep us motivated.

*work*

Online chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #20 on: 25.11. 2011 21:10 »
Hi Richard,
Search on the forum for "t20racerman" 's posts , he has the Suzuki wheel fitted to A10 forks !!

HTH
John O R
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Offline Bronco-BSA

• Active
« Reply #21 on: 06.12. 2011 20:02 »
I sanded down through the thick powder coating today and found the frame number, I have a 1960 A7 frame and the engine number is a 1957 A10.

Now I have the numbers can I apply for a registration document or do I need to present a complete bike to the DVLA.

Offline Goldy

• Warwickshire, England
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #22 on: 06.12. 2011 20:20 »
I think you need a dating certificate first, the BSA owners club do them.          All the best
56 A10 Golden Flash - Restore, ride, relive.                                          
56 C12 BSA project ongoing

Offline Pilgrim

• North Kent. U.K.
  • A's Good Friend
« Reply #23 on: 06.12. 2011 20:28 »
Hiya,
I think Goldy is right, go to www.bsaownersclub.co.uk for info.
(Machine Registering & Dating). If you have not got the original Reg. No.
I think you have to apply for an age related Number.
Cheers.
Regards, Geoff.
1962 R.G.S.
1963 R.G.S.
2004 Bonnie. T100.

Offline Bronco-BSA

• Active
« Reply #24 on: 11.12. 2011 23:44 »
I've checked out http://www.bsaownersclub.co.uk/ and as you say I need to get a dating certificate, I then need to get an MOT before I can apply for a registration and number plate, so it's time to get rebuilding.

I've identified the front wheel, it is a Suzuki 4 leading drum from 1971 with an alloy rim. (apparently as rare as rocking horse droppings) Getting this fitted to the bike is not going to be easy, but its going to be worth it.

Richard.

Online Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #25 on: 12.12. 2011 14:44 »
Hi Richard, I went down the route you're just about to embark on some 8 yrs ago. You will need to supply the BSAOC dating officer ,mr Steve Fodden, 113, Holmville Rd, Bebington,Wirral,CH63 2PX. you need to enclose a SAE and cheque with a rubbing of the frame and engine number and I believe ,now pictures of the number ,it will cost £10 o£5 if you join ,the fee is £23 membership then £18 renewal ,well worth it .He will tell you when the frame was dispatched and where to but won't know registration numbers . Keep all receipts but remember it's supposed to be an old bike so use the receipts to prove as much as poss is refurbished ie engine work /gearbox wheels ,keep pictures of it all as a mess then you show 'em the completed bike. you have to have a mot before you register it so you use the frame number to ride it to the MOT station ,when it passes the guy there uses that number to issue the certificate and they you make an appointment with dvla to take the bike to one of the regional offices. I can't remember if I had to post the paperwork first but they were quite helpful and will tell you clearly how to do it .It's worth being very accurate with the receipts and all paper work as you want an age related number ( unless you've got anything with the old number on ,an old tax disc log book even a faded reg plate there a guy in the club who can help with retention or old bike thingy.... ) not a "Q" plate. The actual chap who inspected my bike was a young guy who didn't know a BSA from a scooter which surprised me I was expecting a technical type with mechanical experinece but what the heck He was happy and the new registration doc and disc arrived as promised within 7 days. Once i got the reg I remot'ed the bike to get the correct numbers on the system but I don't think I had to do that, more for my own peace of mind .By the way I think that the frame numbers for all A10'S except the RGS's were A7 numbered ,just think i read that somewhere if I'm wrong I'm sure someone on the forum will tell us. Membership guy is Rob Jones, e-mail membership@bsaownersclub.co.uk. Hope that helps best wishes BobH
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Offline Bronco-BSA

• Active
« Reply #26 on: 05.01. 2012 17:40 »
Hi Topdad, thanks for all the info, I now understand the process. I haven't had chance to start work on the bike yet but at least I know what I have to do to register it. So far I've got some Whitworth spanners and sockets, also I've got an oil pump. Just need some spare time now and I'll be off down the shed. Regards, Richard.