Author Topic: New Member, New Project.  (Read 2837 times)

Offline Bronco-BSA

• Active
New Member, New Project.
« on: 10.11. 2011 17:22 »
Hello All,

Found you on a google search and had to join up although I have not got a BSA yet. I started riding in 1976 but gave up in 1982 when I got married, I finally got back to bikes 12 years ago and now own a Yamaha FJR. I've always done my own maintainance and have wanted a classic british bike for years. My dad told me many stories of when he had a Douglas 350 in the 1950's.

Anyway I've think I've finaly found what I've been looking for, I've been offered a 1960 A10 in bits and not complete.
Here's what there is:

Engine & gearbox (no barrel's or pistons)
Frame & Swing arm (no shocks or forks)
Oil tank
A front wheel with a 4 leading shoe set up and alloy rim. (unknown origin, possible Japanese)
A box full of bits including; Levers, headlight shell, lots of different bearings (new), Boyer ignition, Magneto and lots of nuts and bolts
2 alloy mudguards (no stays that I can see)
Seat base.

Can someone tell me what a fair price is for the above 'BitSA'.

I also need to add to my tool box as I've got all metric. Do I need AF or whitworth? and what are the most common size's needed.

I look forward to picking your brains,

Regards,

Richard. *dunno*

Offline Butch (cb)

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: New Member, New Project.
« Reply #1 on: 10.11. 2011 18:05 »
My view would be no more than a grand. For spanners you'll want BSF/BSW. Good luck.
Warning - observations made by this member have a 93% unreliability rating.

Of Bikes; various, including ...
'58 S/Arm Iron Head Flash Bitza

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #2 on: 10.11. 2011 19:14 »
G'day Richard, welcome to the forum.
                                                  1/4", 5/16", 3/8", 7/16" ring/open end spanners and same in sockets BS/Whit.
A grand should be tops for that. I just paid $1000 AU for a going A65 minus a tank, mudguard and side covers. Just spent another grand on bits.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline Goldy

• Warwickshire, England
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #3 on: 10.11. 2011 19:32 »
I would say no more than a grand. barrels you will find difficult to obtain.
56 A10 Golden Flash - Restore, ride, relive.                                          
56 C12 BSA project ongoing

Offline Bronco-BSA

• Active
« Reply #4 on: 10.11. 2011 19:43 »
The asking price for the bike is 700 so It looks like I'm going to have a BSA to work on.

I looked on the internet for spanners and sockets and I'm totally confused, is BSF the same as BSW? and where does Whitworth fit in?

Cyclobutch,
I see you have a Griso, nice. I had a Breva for the last 3 years and loved every minute of it, only just changed to the FJR as it's more comfortable for touring, especially for the wife on the back. I'm missing it so much.

Richard.

Offline Pilgrim

• North Kent. U.K.
  • A's Good Friend
« Reply #5 on: 10.11. 2011 20:52 »
Hiya, welcome to the forum,
BSW is British Standard Whitworth.
Don't be surprised if you find a mixture of threads though, after 50 years
anything could have been used to put it together!
Try www.stainlessmiddleton.co.uk, clicking on 'Which Thread', shows a useful thread comparison chart.
Regards, Geoff.
1962 R.G.S.
1963 R.G.S.
2004 Bonnie. T100.

Offline Bronco-BSA

• Active
« Reply #6 on: 13.11. 2011 16:58 »
Thanks for that Pilgrim, I think I understand the spanner size's now. I was expecting to find a mixture of threads and a bit of metric thrown in especially with the Japanese front wheel.

All being well I pick the bike up next Sunday, I'm looking forward to muching  through everything and seeing exactly what's there and  what's missing.

Richard.

Offline a10 gf

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF
« Reply #7 on: 13.11. 2011 17:59 »
Welcome aboard, and hoping the forum will be of help.

Stand with
A10 GF '53 My A10 website
"Success only gets you a ticket to a much more difficult task"

Offline Goldy

• Warwickshire, England
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #8 on: 14.11. 2011 16:52 »
Richard welcome to British Bikes. The thread situation is a bit confusing. Whitworth or BSW is British Standard Whitworth which is a course thread. BSF British Standard Fine is a fine thread. BSA in the A10 era also used BSC which is British Standard Cycle which is even more of a fine thread. This was because the bikes vibrated so much and it was to prevent bolts shaking loose. You will find BSW threads used where there are tapped holes in the engine casing such as the cylinder base bolts. This is because the course thread is better in the soft material. Most bolts will be BSC and will be 1/4",  5/16" and 3/8".
They all use the same spanner size but this gets a bit more confusing because although they are all the same spanners the BSW is designated as 1/16" less so for example a 3/8" bolt will require a spanner marked 5/16W 3/8 BSF. All my spanners are 45 year old and if you buy them from autojumbles or car boots they will be marked as such. Don,t know about the modern versions.
All the best Goldy
56 A10 Golden Flash - Restore, ride, relive.                                          
56 C12 BSA project ongoing

Offline Pete Gray

• A's Good Friend
    • Scuppered Folk Band
« Reply #9 on: 15.11. 2011 12:55 »
I wonder if you'll also get a photo of your A10 at the top of the Grossglockner pass ?

Pete

1961 Swinging arm A7
2000 BMW R1100R

Online Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #10 on: 15.11. 2011 16:26 »
Welcome Richard, Hope you enjoy your new toy, the knowledge the people who post on this forum have  is quite unbelieveable and they are so helpful and friendly. Re the spanner/sockets there are socket sets x bsw (8) on evilbay at present at about £10 which I've found to be very good value only 3/8 drive but adequate. best wishes BobH.
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Offline RoadRunner

• A's Good Friend
  • Thinking Time
« Reply #11 on: 15.11. 2011 21:12 »
Welocme Richard,
Not a bad price - I've just rebuilt my A7 plunger after x number of years as a project in progress; hence I have a bit experience of who I consider good to use and some on those I wouldn't touch again; including purchasing of essential tools! I see you're in Birmingham - me, slightly north near Burton upon Trent. If I can be of any help just give me a mail.
Good Luck..
RoadRunner

Offline Bronco-BSA

• Active
« Reply #12 on: 16.11. 2011 20:37 »
Richard welcome to British Bikes. The thread situation is a bit confusing. Whitworth or BSW is British Standard Whitworth which is a course thread. BSF British Standard Fine is a fine thread. BSA in the A10 era also used BSC which is British Standard Cycle which is even more of a fine thread. This was because the bikes vibrated so much and it was to prevent bolts shaking loose. You will find BSW threads used where there are tapped holes in the engine casing such as the cylinder base bolts. This is because the course thread is better in the soft material. Most bolts will be BSC and will be 1/4",  5/16" and 3/8".
They all use the same spanner size but this gets a bit more confusing because although they are all the same spanners the BSW is designated as 1/16" less so for example a 3/8" bolt will require a spanner marked 5/16W 3/8 BSF. All my spanners are 45 year old and if you buy them from autojumbles or car boots they will be marked as such. Don,t know about the modern versions.
All the best Goldy

I think I'm getting it, once the bike is safely in my shed I will be onto ebay where there seems to be a reasonable selection of spanners and sockets.

Offline Bronco-BSA

• Active
« Reply #13 on: 16.11. 2011 20:42 »
I wonder if you'll also get a photo of your A10 at the top of the Grossglockner pass ?

I don't see why not, just depends how good a rebuild I make, but I think it may be a couple of years.

Offline Bronco-BSA

• Active
« Reply #14 on: 16.11. 2011 20:52 »
Welocme Richard,
Not a bad price - I've just rebuilt my A7 plunger after x number of years as a project in progress; hence I have a bit experience of who I consider good to use and some on those I wouldn't touch again; including purchasing of essential tools! I see you're in Birmingham - me, slightly north near Burton upon Trent. If I can be of any help just give me a mail.
Good Luck..
RoadRunner

Many thanks for the offer of help, it's nice to find someone local with local knowledge. I've found a British bike dealers on the internet that's by you, are they worth a visit.
Cheers, Richard.