Author Topic: A new member  (Read 707 times)

Offline flaboy

• Active
A new member
« on: 28.09. 2011 01:45 »
Hello All,
Back in 73 I bought a BSA motorcycle used, road it for most the year and then the kick start return spring broke,so I took it apart to fix and decided to repaint the whole thing.  Its been a basket ever since.  Draged it with me where ever I lived(3 states).  Now i'm reddy and going to put it back together.  I find that it is by the Florida title a 55 A10 (CA714073)  and has a 58 motor.  It has a lot of the parts cromed thats what cought my eye.  Got about 2 grand in that and not finished yet!  So now comes the painting.  Only lost a few things over the years.  I am hoping to find some help from you guys to help me with finding parts and the does and don'ts.  I live in Florida,USA.  One Question about the oil pump, the housing has a case of cancer, i never saw metal do that, looks like pot metal, commets please  Thanks Murray

Offline RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: A new member
« Reply #1 on: 28.09. 2011 08:01 »
Murray,

Welcome to the forum. Very interesting story, yours is to me, because I bought my '55 in '73 as well. Accident in '79 made it sit out until 2003, when a 3-year rebuild began. I suppose the oil pump housing and, maybe, some of the inner and/or outer timing cover, has corroded away. Not that difficult to get water in there when it sits for years. If the water was salty (what, in Florida?), the corrosion would really accelerate. The general opinion here is that the oil pumps are made of lousy metal. My original seems to be working fine, but if the money is there, an SRM Engineering high-delivery aluminum-billet-made pump is the hot ticket.

Do you think you can post some photos here, like of the whole project and of the oil pump? I've now forgotten the number of posts you need to have before you can put up photos.

Anyway, let us know how it goes. By the way, I'm in the Chicago area.

Richard L.

Offline KiwiGF

• Last had an A10 in 1976, in 2011 it was time for my 2nd one. It was the project from HELL (but I learned a lot....)
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 28.09. 2011 10:40 »
You may have a 54 depending on how you look at it!  See this post ....

http://www.a7a10.net/forum/index.php/topic,4659.0.html
New Zealand

1956 A10 Golden Flash  (1st finished project)
1949 B31 rigid “400cc”  (2nd finished project)
1968 B44 Victor Special (3rd finished project)
2001 GL1800 Goldwing, well, the wife likes it
2009 KTM 990 Adventure, cos it’s 100% nuts

Offline flaboy

• Active
« Reply #3 on: 05.10. 2011 04:14 »
Thank you Richard
Being a newbie I have been reading the posts and trying to learn this site.  great questions and answers.  I only remember that I got in Tampa,Fl.  While living in Birmingham Ala I was having the cases beed blasted and the guy i took it to said that he had built the motor in tampa, small world.  I will put some pixs up when I can.  the guy also said that he did it for a guy that wanted to take it to bonneville racing.  The motor has an alloy head thats been changed for twin carbs. I thought that was special but after reading some of the posts I find a lot of them have done that. No telling what else I'll find.
Murray