Author Topic: Quality Parts suppliers  (Read 2490 times)

Offline Jules

• Resident Legend
  • 1956 A10 s/arm Golden Flash
Quality Parts suppliers
« on: 13.06. 2011 15:47 »
I know that you guys have all been talking about a suppliers listing, I've tried searching the forum a few times but couldn't find anything explicitly what I wanted. I have noticed though many many posts talk about poor quality parts, not necessarily cheap parts either! So now I'm in the market for quite a few new parts and have been enquiring from a no. of suppliers that you have mentioned from time to time. Hence is there any consensus on the quality of parts from the following suppliers before I place an (expensive) order please (I need some good quality reliable mechanical parts eg kickstart pinion/bearings, as well as cosmetic parts, in case there is a difference) ?
British Spares in NZ
Barleycorn Eng'g
Degroot in NL
Domiracer in USA
Walridge Motors in USA
Leigh Classic
SRM Eng'g
C&D Autos
Lyford Classics
Lightning Spares
Armour Motor Products
Draganfly
thanks........... *smiley4*

Offline Goldy

• Warwickshire, England
  • Resident Legend
Re: Quality Parts suppliers
« Reply #1 on: 13.06. 2011 17:19 »
Hi Jules. In my experience  C and D are ok and they have been going many many years, the two sons having taken over from their father so they seem to have a good BSA knowledege.  SRM I have found to be of good quality, but they are expensive.  I am sure you will get many posts on this one. All the best. Goldy
56 A10 Golden Flash - Restore, ride, relive.                                          
56 C12 BSA project ongoing

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #2 on: 13.06. 2011 21:10 »
G'day Jules,
                try Modak in Melb first. If he's in a good mood! Got a fair bit of him years ago, but haven't been back since he said I was using him!! With our $ good at the moment BS in NZ are good & quick. Postage often kills any saving from OS.
I have had bit's from most of your list and can't fault any. Add Burton Bike Bits, Len Haggis.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline RoadRunner

• A's Good Friend
  • Thinking Time
« Reply #3 on: 13.06. 2011 21:30 »
Hi Jules,
I purchased my exhaust/down pipes from Wassels of Cannock *smiley4* and they fitted reasonably well (not to be confused with Wassels of Lincoln) after falling out with Armours *problem* which cost me dearly - however others have had good results from the latter so I gather.
For 2nd hand parts - Eldon Owen of North Wales has been pretty good so far and reasonable. (www.owensmotorcycles.co.uk)

RoadRunner

Offline Jules

• Resident Legend
  • 1956 A10 s/arm Golden Flash
« Reply #4 on: 16.06. 2011 14:15 »
any other thoughts or other suppliers that people know/used I'd be happy to add and survey -- I've given up with Modak Muskrat, he is such a misery and unhelpful its like pulling teeth to get anything from him. I've found De Groot in NL very helpful so far and they have a great and varied range of parts. Quality/durability comments I'd really like to hear about from people who have recently used stuff. I'm building a spreadsheet using my parts list for reference and am happy to put onto the forum when I've got a decent level of responses, cheers

Offline Pete Gray

• A's Good Friend
    • Scuppered Folk Band
« Reply #5 on: 16.06. 2011 14:54 »
I've used Lyford Classics for a variety of parts over the years without much trouble.
I had my motor rebuilt with many parts sourced from them including big/small ends, pistons, clutch parts, chain, gaskets. I've also had a saddle, cables, brake linings etc. etc.
The only problems I can recall were a dodgy taper on the clutch hub and an incorrect length cable. I've also had trouble with valve guides seizing but I think they were old stock original BSA parts and I'm not sure if Lyford supplied them.

Armour supplied new pipes and silencers which still look, and sound, superb after 5 years use but on receipt one of the down pipe engine bolt mounting brackets was miles out of alignment. They did replace it but not until after they'd queried my ability to judge as "we've never had problems before"

Pete

1961 Swinging arm A7
2000 BMW R1100R

Offline bonny

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #6 on: 16.06. 2011 15:54 »
I've used peters classic bike spares a few times and have to say he is very decent and straightforward to deal with.

http://www.petersclassicbikeparts.nl/

Offline sinbad

• Uk north west coast
  • A's Good Friend
« Reply #7 on: 16.06. 2011 22:54 »
Hi Jules,I had a reconditioned oil pump from Dragonfly I am happy with, new body, new worm drive/ end plate machined flat, ready to go,cost £141 including pp and vat.Had a few bits and pieces all ok,cheers.
Rod
1960 A10                             1998 Honda Cb 500
1953 sunbeam s7                   1988 Mz 250
1953 Nsu Consul 500 single        Jzr cx 500 Trike

Offline Gripperod

• Moving Up
« Reply #8 on: 17.06. 2011 07:50 »
I am a bit suprised nobody has mentioned Burton Bike Bits, am I missing something? I have always found them very helpful but have not had the A7 long enough and am not enough of an expert to comment on Product Quality.

bp
1959 A7SS
1970 Yamaha AT1B
1976ish Honda CB750 Cafe Racer

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #9 on: 17.06. 2011 10:12 »
I did. *smile*
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline Gripperod

• Moving Up
« Reply #10 on: 17.06. 2011 10:45 »
Oh yes, sorry I missed it - you can put it down to my usual ability to look completely incompetent in front of other people........ *smile*

Makes me feel better though that they are rated by the Forum's cognoscenti, I have just bought a sprocket and chain set from them.

Cheers

bp
1959 A7SS
1970 Yamaha AT1B
1976ish Honda CB750 Cafe Racer

Offline RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #11 on: 11.03. 2015 11:38 »
A long time since any posts in this thread, but the title seemed to fit.

So, I'm at the local bookstore yesterday thumbing through Classic Bike Guide and "Own a BSA Business" jumps off the page. It looks like the folks at Lightning Spares are looking to sell their business, lock, stock and barrel, to someone who will continue the operation. It said they intend to keep going for some time until a buyer is found. Any of our UK members contemplating this? (Understood if you're keeping it close to the vest *smile*.) Being over here in the U.S., I haven't had the pleasure of dealing with Lightning, but comments here on the forum lead me to believe they are nearly indispensable as a source of parts and as people in the trade.

Richard L.

Offline Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #12 on: 11.03. 2015 14:18 »
Richard, I haven't read the mags lately with whats going on at home  but it would be a shame if they leave , time moves on and maybe they are fed up dealing with the general public ,after all we can be a pain in the neck. I've dealt with them a few times and they have always been  extremley pleasant to deal with and really efficient . They took over about 5 yrs ago and the local BSA branch helped them move shop so they are well connected. i wish 'em luck with whatever they are planning, Bob.
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Offline nimrod650

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #13 on: 26.03. 2015 18:14 »
priory magnetos uk the most helpful people for all a10 spares new and used as well as mag and dynamo refurbs

Offline terryg

• Resident Legend
    • thecarshipenterprise
« Reply #14 on: 02.05. 2015 20:41 »
Priory Magnetos (beezermacc, of this parish) does it again.
Phoned yesterday at 2 pm and ordered a few small parts. Postman delivered them today before noon.
All good stuff at very reasonable prices. And a pleasure to deal with.
Keep it up Priory and thank you.
Terry
'57 'SR', '59 SR, '63 RGS