Author Topic: Plunger pillion footpeg mounts query??  (Read 3372 times)

Offline RoadRunner

• A's Good Friend
  • Thinking Time
Plunger pillion footpeg mounts query??
« on: 09.06. 2011 21:56 »
Hi,
Finally thinking about sorting my rear footpegs on my plunger; problem is the LHS.
The RHS has a 'top hat' in the frame which has always been there and show no signs of moving (or anything holding it in) - this is fine as the footpeg will bolt in fine. See pics below.
The LHS doesn't have this 'top hat' in the frame - I was sold a 'top hat' over the phone which looks similar but isn't countersunk on the inside and more importantly the fit in the frame is very, very loose - basically it falls out. The manual doesn't make the LHS very clear.
Does anyone know what should fit into the hole on the LHS or how the peg mount fits?

Grateful as ever for any info or pics.

RoadRunner

Offline cotterpinkid

• A's Good Friend
Re: Plunger pillion footpeg mounts query??
« Reply #1 on: 20.07. 2011 21:53 »
My pillion rests are currently in the 'spares' box. If I remember the top hat just fits in the hole (your LHS), the footpeg fits through that and there's a large washer and nut which goes on the inside of the frame to clamp the top hat (solo pillion footrest adapter) into the frame i.e. I'm surprised your RHS top hat hasn't fallen out unless the 'sticksion' has got it stuck fast?

I assume that the reason the holes need the top hat adapter is because these are where the larger diameter sidecar lugs attached to the frame without any adapters.

If you need pics I can always sort some out.

Brian
A10 GF Plunger
Velocette Venom

Offline RoadRunner

• A's Good Friend
  • Thinking Time
« Reply #2 on: 21.07. 2011 09:09 »
Many thanks Brian,
It appears to be one of those parts which varies considerably across the range of BSAs; but you are correct regarding the push-fit top hats. I have now managed to find two NoS top hats [one for a friend in the same precidament); the new (NoS) one is not as tight as I'd like but you've now answered my query in that it requires a large wash at the rear - which doesn't apear in the manual(?) - does it?

If the washer just a straight flat washer, dimensions of the washer would be useful and if not then a pic and dimensions would be most helpful - if not too much trouble. On the off chance do you know the part number for the washers??

I guess there was little reason to remove the RHS ones and with time, a bit of corresion and stove enamelling mine appears to be held firmly in place. However, with the option of fitting a sidecar I assume many LHS ones were removed and not replaced? Anyway I will be placing large washers, of some description, on the rear of both of mine - just in case!

Thanks for the info -  *smile*

Cheers
RoadRunner

Offline cotterpinkid

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #3 on: 21.07. 2011 17:19 »
Roadrunner,

Managed to dig it out and get some dimensions for you.

Brian
A10 GF Plunger
Velocette Venom

Offline RoadRunner

• A's Good Friend
  • Thinking Time
« Reply #4 on: 21.07. 2011 22:46 »
Hi Brian,
Many thanks for the very clear and sharp photo with dimensions just what I needed  *beer*. Just another questions; is that a rubber washer between the large penny washer and frame by any chance? If so is that standard or a necessary mod??

Cheers  *smiley4*

RoadRunner

Offline cotterpinkid

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #5 on: 22.07. 2011 16:48 »
Roadrunner,

No, it's not a rubber, but I see what you mean, it's just the inside of the plunger frame with oil residue. The washer just sits against the frame. The nut shown in the photo is a nyloc, but std nut and spring washer should do I think. Considering the machine hasn't been on the road for 10 years I didn't give it a particularly good clean after I used it last!

Brian
A10 GF Plunger
Velocette Venom

Offline spanersc

• A's Good Friend
  • Cambridgeshire. UK
« Reply #6 on: 22.07. 2011 21:29 »
Hi All. I was just about to post a thread on this very subject! I am fairly well on with a frame up rebuild of a 1952 A7ST and have got to the pillion footrests. When the bike was stripped, it had  large threaded adapters screwed into the frame to take the footrests, one side is fine however it looks as if someone has tried to remove the other side with a chisel! So I have been trying to find a replacement. The only part number in the BSA parts listing (67-4183) appears to be for the 'top hat' type that cannot fuction without a large retaining washer, unshown it the parts books as already stated, All the dealers I have spoken to have no knowledge of this other type and claim it must be wrong however I have 3 other plunger frames and have dug these out and they all have the same screw in adapter, I've also seen frames on ebay with this same adapter. So. can anyone shed any light on this? or perhaps even a part number? any advice appreciated. Thanks, Peter  
Peter C    Cambridgeshire. UK   1935 Blue Star. 1936 M23 Empire-Star, 1938 B24 Empire-Star. 1939 M23 Silver-Star. 1950 A7 Rigid.  1952 A7ST.   1953 A10 Super Flash.  1954 A7ST.  1955 A7SS. 1956 A10RR.  1962 RGS.  1962 DBD34

Offline RoadRunner

• A's Good Friend
  • Thinking Time
« Reply #7 on: 23.07. 2011 11:45 »
Hi Peter,
I too have heard of the 'screw-in' type pillion footpeg adpators but have never seen one yet - however I got my NoS plain, push-fit top hat from Kidderminster Motorcycles who are quite knowledgeable on these sorts of things from my experience, might be worth giving them a call? Auotcyles is another company I'd give a go (I'd phone, since they are slow respond to my email) - both advertise in the Old Bike Mart; alternatively you should be able to find them through a web search. A srcew in adaptor seems more sensible and was perhaps a later modification, maybe a forum member may be able to shed some light on this??
Good luck

RoadRunner

Offline RoadRunner

• A's Good Friend
  • Thinking Time
« Reply #8 on: 23.07. 2011 11:56 »
Roadrunner,

The washer just sits against the frame. The nut shown in the photo is a nyloc, but std nut and spring washer should do I think. Considering the machine hasn't been on the road for 10 years I didn't give it a particularly good clean after I used it last!

Brian

Thanks Brain - I don't want to spend more time/money searching for yet more elusive parts!  And your bike is still looking good.
RR

Offline cotterpinkid

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #9 on: 23.07. 2011 12:08 »
Spanersc / Roadrunner,

I'm not sure about changes to the A7 frame, but my A10 PL is probably one of the last ones off the production line and this just uses the 'top hat' and washer arrangement. I would think that the newer the frame the cheaper the production methods i.e. if they didn't have to thread something then they wouldn't. You can see this in lots of british motorcycle stuff .. where once was a nice rose joint is now twisted bit of metal and a rivet or nicely machines one piece parts end up as two cheap bits welded together. Sorry can't provide any info on threaded pillion adapters.

Brian
A10 GF Plunger
Velocette Venom

Offline spanersc

• A's Good Friend
  • Cambridgeshire. UK
« Reply #10 on: 23.07. 2011 15:59 »
Hi All. Have now managed to resize photo and added it to my earlier posting. I did wonder if it was an early method and was superseded to the later plain 'top hat' type purely on cost grounds. I feel it the screw in type is a neater and better engineered method. I have spoken to Lightening spares, and although he had not heard of one, thinks he may be able to copy it for manufacture. If any one is interested, it may be worth dropping him a message, with a bit of interest, it may speed things up a bit. Regards, Peter
Peter C    Cambridgeshire. UK   1935 Blue Star. 1936 M23 Empire-Star, 1938 B24 Empire-Star. 1939 M23 Silver-Star. 1950 A7 Rigid.  1952 A7ST.   1953 A10 Super Flash.  1954 A7ST.  1955 A7SS. 1956 A10RR.  1962 RGS.  1962 DBD34

Offline trevinoz

• Newcastle, N.S.W. Australia.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #11 on: 23.07. 2011 23:27 »
At a guess, I think that the plain bushes were substituted for the threaded ones from 1953 when there were quite a few changes.
My 3 frames are pre '53 and have threaded bushes.
The problem identifying the part number would most likely be due to the parts books being "updated" and the obsolete parts deleted.
If a parts book printed pre 1953 could be found perhaps the offending bit could be named.
Probably won't help getting one, though!

Trev.

Offline shabashow

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #12 on: 27.07. 2011 19:47 »
I would concur with Trev - mine is a '52 frame with the threaded bushes
John

Offline cotterpinkid

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #13 on: 27.07. 2011 22:05 »
I've had a look at the pics in Roy Bacon's book and it shows threaded adapters up to and including '53 Plunger models. Unfortunately I cant's find any pics of post '53 plungers.

Brian
A10 GF Plunger
Velocette Venom

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #14 on: 27.07. 2011 22:37 »
G'day all,
            My '51 frame has screw in, the '53 frame I am using has top hat.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7