Author Topic: Electronic tacho for an a10  (Read 3041 times)

Offline Mosin

• Valued Contributor
  • Cumbria
Re: Electronic tacho for an a10
« Reply #15 on: 25.07. 2011 12:07 »
Just wondering how you got on with this?
1960 A7 Shooting Star
1959 D3 Bantam
1994 Triumph Trident 900

North West England

Offline rocker21

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #16 on: 25.07. 2011 16:37 »
many years ago back in the early seventies i had a Krober electronic rev counter that wired into the cut out lead of the mag and went to 10,000 rpm it was very good, wish i had kept it when i sold the bike, don't know if they are still available.
1960 A7SS, 1954 Ariel fieldmaster 500 twin, motoguzzi Monza 500, motoguzzi V7III special, new triumph speed 400

Offline Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #17 on: 26.07. 2011 15:52 »
Hi Mosin, i've been e-mailing the guy and have had some basic info back. It seems viable ,He just supplies the works which will run off a magneto via a pickup sighted near the plugs.You then fit the works into an old speedo body . All the stuff was available on e-bay but seemed to dry up about a month ago.  I've got the mag with the same connection that goes to a kill button and asked if that could be used but so far no reply and have not pursued it due to a/ shortage of funds (,house move and contiuing gearbox problems )b/ family prob's. So i'll restart in the winter hopefully for next year,however, I'll gladly send over all the info from this guy.Please send me an message and I'll e-mail the details to  you best wishes Bob H.
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #18 on: 26.07. 2011 19:52 »
I bought a strobe a couple of months back, it clips on a plug lead and reads the spark, needs 12 volts though, not a problem as I've changed to 12.
It was not expensive so there I have pickup for a Tacho, just need something to read the number of times it lights the strobe per minute.
methinks this might need some research, a visit to Maplin perhaps

Funny thing I would never have thought of is that the pickup on the plug lead has to be on the right way, a little arrow keeps you right.

As I get older I find it so frustrating that I can get things to work but often don't how or why they work
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #19 on: 26.07. 2011 20:36 »
 Bob, I don't think you could use the kill wire as if it eventually goes to earth it will kill the spark.

Bill, "As I get older I find it so frustrating that I can get things to work but often don't how or why they work"
just like when we were kids.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #20 on: 28.07. 2011 11:29 »
Hi Musky, sorry my stupid way of putting things !! I should have said that I'd isolate the wire so that it just goe's to the new tacho unit . The one I originally was after ,advertised by Mike Hemmings a Norton/Norvil dealer used that type of Mag and said it worked okay but when I went to buy one the guy who made em had retired!!! been searcing since and whilst the guy in Holland is helpful his english is not to good hence my slow down on following it up. Well that and money ,a house move (and a wife who's going nutty from the house move ) , me going nutty from not being able to go for a ride out  ,I'd not reccomend a house move after 38 yrs to anyone. oh sorry everyone , rant over , padded cell next stop, regards Bob.
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom