Author Topic: New Member - Warwickshire UK  (Read 3725 times)

Offline a10 gf

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF
Re: New Member - Warwickshire UK
« Reply #15 on: 10.09. 2012 22:49 »
I can happily report the a10's now running well!
Thanks for the good news and progress report, always nice reading about positive results!

Stand with
A10 GF '53 My A10 website
"Success only gets you a ticket to a much more difficult task"

Offline fido

• Ferdinandovac, Croatia
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #16 on: 11.09. 2012 05:50 »
Hi John, have you been to any meetings of the East Mids BSAOC? They are a good bunch and I still go if I'm over that way.

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #17 on: 11.09. 2012 09:02 »
Hiya John-SF,
                  I've come along in your 'hiatus', good to see your enthusiasm and progress, I started building mine from a frame and minimal ancillaries, that I found at the local wrecker back in ~'77, had it rego'd (your MOT) a couple of times in the '80s, and started it briefly ~ 8 ago and last rode it about 12-14 yrs ago.....(I can't believe I just said that!!)... so that's a kick in the duds for me..!
     About that 'heavy' clutch, I read about a similar thing recently, and got thinking later that maybe it could just be the push-rod through the mainshaft being a bit gungy(notice that end with a 'y'), you can pull it out easy by taking the oval inspection cover off the gearbox, then the rod adjuster locknut and screw, and pull the rod out- a bit fiddly maybe at first, but you'll work it out? (if it doesn't come easy, a indication of problem, if easy, I could be wrong!!)
   If it's stiff give a squirt of penetrine type stuff up the hole, or better put something under the mainshaft nut to funnel stuff out, lean the bike to RHS, and give the shaft orifice a good reaming with solvent, then pump a bit of lube in(ideas on that?) and it should slide nice...?
    As I said I could be wrong, but you can't do harm 'specially after sitting so long .
 Cheers good luck with it cheers, duTch
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline JSF

• Moving Up
« Reply #18 on: 13.09. 2012 21:00 »
Thanks again for the encouragement and kind words! I'm really looking forward to getting out on the bike (once I've decided on what to do with the clutch) so hopefully I can iron out any teething troubles and get a few miles on it.  Came back from the Manx GP full of enthusiasm having spent the week looking at old bikes so hopefully I can use this to my advantage before the winter comes!
This forum continues to be a fantastic help - think I'm going to end up reading every thread!
John
58 Golden Flash

Offline JSF

• Moving Up
« Reply #19 on: 29.10. 2012 11:19 »
So - following lots of post reading and advice from these venerable pages, we fitted the Lyford clutch kit yesterday which seems to have transformed the need for gorilla like grip on the lever and as a result led to my first (admittedly short) ride on my A10!
Next weekend pencilled in to get it better adjusted and to fettle the brakes and we're hopefully nearly on the road.
John
58 Golden Flash

Offline LJ.

• Peterborough UK.
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • The Red A10!
    • LJ's Website!
« Reply #20 on: 29.10. 2012 16:22 »
Hey John... All sounds good with the bike.... I'm wondering how Dad is enjoying all this and if his appetite is wetted for getting his own A10? Do tell.  *smile*

My own old chap, 81 now and passed his riding days, loves to hear of every ride I take. How i'd loved to have ridden with him. I hope yours is not too old to take a bike out.
Ride Safely Lads! LJ.
1940 BSA M20 500cc Girder/Rigid- (SOLD)
1947 BSA M21 600cc Girder/Rigid-Green
1949 BSA A7   500cc Girder/Plunger Star Twin-(SOLD)
1953 BSA B33  500cc Teles/Plunger-Maroon
1961 BSA A10  650cc Golden Flash-Blue
1961 BSA A10  650cc Golden Flash-Red

Offline JSF

• Moving Up
« Reply #21 on: 08.11. 2012 15:22 »
Hi LJ

My dad thinks I'm a bit mad as he had loads of BSA's as daily transport and pulling sidecars (with me in!) and has now gotten rather comfy with his (albeit modified) BMW. 

Secretly I think (know) he's very much enjoying tinkering with the bike, and it's a great 'lad and dad' activity but I think he's got too many bad memories of working on them on a sunday evening to get to work the next day! Luckily my use will be somewhat different.  He did hand his nose over A65's at Stafford though...

He's also very much still on 2 wheels so it's great that we can have rides out.  Hoping for a short ride this weekend if I can find an insurance quote that's sensible!

Cheers

John
58 Golden Flash

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #22 on: 08.11. 2012 16:55 »
...of Dads and bikes. My Dad would have been 109 this year, so his riding days (if he ever had any) are definately over. Nonetheless, I have attached a photo of him (in the sidecar) and my Uncle Al sitting on what I think is an Excelsior. The photo is circa 1925 in the Philipines. Dad was a submariner in the U.S. Navy.  

Richard L.

Edit: Turns out to be a Harley, I think, according to the second photo.

Online Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #23 on: 09.11. 2012 10:17 »
Great picture Richard , must have been a tough old guy (not to mention extremely brave) to be in Sub's at that time or indeed any time. Regards BobH
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Offline JSF

• Moving Up
« Reply #24 on: 22.11. 2012 12:57 »
A quick update - bike is now taxed and insured so off for an initial wobble around this Sunday!

Really looking forward to my first ride (and I believe the bikes since 1978!)

Will let you know how I get on and thanks again for pointing me in the right direction with my beginner questions.  For additional help I've also joined the Warwks VMCC who seem a most friendly bunch to help me continue my learning curve! 

John

58 Golden Flash