Author Topic: New Member - Warwickshire UK  (Read 3726 times)

Offline JSF

• Moving Up
New Member - Warwickshire UK
« on: 09.05. 2011 13:47 »
Hi All,

I've Just recently registered so thought I'd say hello and a few quick words of introduction.  (And perhaps commence with an apology for the daft questions I'll undoubtedly be asking shortly!....)

Have had bikes all my life (and grew up with Dad's cafe racers and BSA's - all as daily transport) but have recently taken the plunge and got my first british bike at the tender age of 37!  I've progressed through CG125, Suzuki GT250 and 500, Bultaco Sherpa and TY250, ZZR and currently a Suzuki SV1000 but the A10 is definitely going to be a new challenge.

It's a 58 Golden Flash which was last on the road in 1976.  It's complete and I've been learning the ropes (with the aforementioned Dad for guidance!) and we've now got it running nicely after a Mag and Dynamo refresh and managed to get the original reg number. 

So far we've changed the steering head bearings and fork sliders, fully rewired and fixed/replaced various other bits and pieces.  We still have the brakes, wheel bearings, steering damper and a correct rear wheel to sort (correct hub but with a borrani rim fitted that looks like a front) and the clutch to sort (it spent it's life pulling a sidecar so has an unfeasably heavy (6 spring) clutch for a softie used to hydraulic japanese fare) so currently looking at alternatives which led me to this very useful resource. 

Cosmetically the bike is it's original paint and whilst a little worn, I'm planning to keep it this way as the focus is on getting it MOT'd this summer and getting out and riding it.  I think the call it patina :) Or is it rust?

It's been a real learning experience so far and I expect there's still lots more to learn but just really pleased it runs at this stage!

John

58 Golden Flash

Offline Goldy

• Warwickshire, England
  • Resident Legend
Re: New Member - Warwickshire UK
« Reply #1 on: 09.05. 2011 17:39 »
Hi John In Warwickshire and welcome to the forum from another John in Warwickshire.   The popular clutch change is to fit the Triumph four spring clutch but I don,t know much about that but I am sure others will tell you. You will always get answers on this forum. You mention leaving the paintwork, well there is a good bike day each July the VMCC day at Stanford Hall In Leicestershire. There are many concours bikes there in perfect condition but this one year the best bike turned out to be one that had been presented "oily rag". Just rub an oil soaked rag into the paintwork and it cleans and protects from further rust and for a bike over 50 years old it looks as it should.                  All the Best Goldy
56 A10 Golden Flash - Restore, ride, relive.                                          
56 C12 BSA project ongoing

Offline sinbad

• Uk north west coast
  • A's Good Friend
« Reply #2 on: 09.05. 2011 19:39 »
( Cosmetically the bike is it's original paint and whilst a little worn, I'm planning to keep it this way as the focus is on getting it MOT'd this summer and getting out and riding it.  I think the call it patina :) Or is it rust?)
Hi John, and welcome,that sounds like a good plan get to know the bike,hope things go right for you good luck.Cheers.
Rod
1960 A10                             1998 Honda Cb 500
1953 sunbeam s7                   1988 Mz 250
1953 Nsu Consul 500 single        Jzr cx 500 Trike

Offline Sidcar

• Moving Up
« Reply #3 on: 09.05. 2011 20:17 »
Hi John,
I'm just a bit south of you not far from Banbury.
I bought my A10 with sidecar attached but the clutch is light and a pleasure to operate.
Nothing wrong with oily rag condition, you can enjoy riding it instead of worrying about it getting dirty.

Sid

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #4 on: 09.05. 2011 20:45 »
G'day John, welcome to the forum.
                                               Clean and rebuild the clutch. Both my A's clutches are lighter than my Rhonda Whore, the '51 is std 6 spring and the'57 is a Snorton Commical diaphragm belt drive (even lighter).
Nothing wrong with patina. I think a bike should look to be used.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Online trevinoz

• Newcastle, N.S.W. Australia.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 09.05. 2011 23:15 »
John,
            I think that you will find that the front and rear rim are the same on '58-'63 bikes.

Trev.

Offline JSF

• Moving Up
« Reply #6 on: 10.05. 2011 10:33 »
Thanks all for the warm welcome and further advice!

Good to know there are a good few people so local too - I'll keep an eye out for you when we're on the road!  I have a few pictures of the resto so far so will try and put a few up once I've fathomed the technology.

John
58 Golden Flash

Offline A10Boy

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Solihull, Near Birmingham England.
« Reply #7 on: 10.05. 2011 14:41 »
Hi John and welcome
I also have an oily rag a10, it's a 1960 vintage like me.  *smile* Mine has the four spring clutch with an SRM pressure plate and springs, it's just like a japanese clutch, light and without problems. Any questions just fire away.

Andy

PS whereabouts in Warks are you?

Regards

Andy

1958 Super Rocket
Plus
Harley Super Glide Custom
Yam XJR 1300

Offline JSF

• Moving Up
« Reply #8 on: 11.05. 2011 09:00 »
Hi Andy,

I'm currently in the villages between Rugby and Coventry but moving just south of the A45 shortly.  Do you know of any local(ish) classic bike events / meets as have only been in this 'neck of the woods' for the last year or so?

The clutch info is helpful.  What 4 spring clutch do you have?  I've been reading about the 4 spring kit from Lyford Classic which has good reports but I also like the look of the SRM plate.  Decisions decisions...

John

58 Golden Flash

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #9 on: 11.05. 2011 09:30 »
HI John, I have SRM plate in one bike Lyford plate in another, both result in a nice light clutch.

The SRM plate requires the clutch pushrod to be shortened and then you have to temper the cut end, the Lyford plate does not need any modification to the Push rod.
The SRM plate has a small roller bearing and a flanged distance piece to take the thrust from the push rod.
 The Lyfornd plate has a hardened button to do the same job.
Both excellent items in my opinion
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline Goldy

• Warwickshire, England
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #10 on: 11.05. 2011 11:20 »
John. The previously mention Stanford Hall Nr Lutterworth is not far from you and the Classic Bike Clubs Show is on there on 29th May.        Hoar Park Craft Centre, B4114 ,Ansley, Nr Nuneaton has an infomal Classic Bike meet every Wednesday morning. Just turn up about 10.00am. All the best Goldy
56 A10 Golden Flash - Restore, ride, relive.                                          
56 C12 BSA project ongoing

Offline A10Boy

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Solihull, Near Birmingham England.
« Reply #11 on: 12.05. 2011 12:42 »
John
The four spring clutch is known as the "Triumph" clutch and was fitted to Beezers from around 1960. It's far better than the old 6 spring effort in my opinion. Especially when the SRM pressure plate is fitted. There are of course other makes available.

It will bolt straight onto the BSA gearbox mainshaft using the "four spring clutch adapter" which are sold by the likes of C&D Autos, Cake Street, Burton Bike Bits, Vale Onslow etc. All parts are available, C&D was doing a kit for around 275 quid, but if you use the SRM pressure plate, it's probably best to buy the remainder of it seperately.

Here's a good place to find local shows and events.   http://www.sump-publishing.co.uk/

You will have some nice countryside to ride in if you are anywhere near the Fosse, I know that area well, half an hour or so and you are in the Cotswolds.

Regards
Regards

Andy

1958 Super Rocket
Plus
Harley Super Glide Custom
Yam XJR 1300

Offline JSF

• Moving Up
« Reply #12 on: 12.05. 2011 18:48 »
Thanks again - great advice.

I'm very near the fosse way and have already done a bit of exploring on the modern bike so am looking forward to some relaxed miles when the a10 is resurrected.  I'll look out for the local meets too as would be good to say hello to a few locals when I'm on the road.

I did make it to founders day at Stanford Hall last year which was great for bits (and advice) and also a small show at a micro brewery somewhere near nuneaton... 

What was great was that, as a beginner to Brits, at Stanford the guy who does wiring looms spent absolutely ages with me (I'm a complete numpty with electrics) takling me through all the different colours and thicknesses of wire I needed and was an absolute mine of information despite me spending only about £13 after around 30 mins advice. 

It's great that there seem to be so many genuine enthusiasts trading - As a 'beginner' I've also been talked out of purchases twice by other traders as they didn't think what I was ordering was the best option and offered the loan of tools for a small charity donation when I went to C&D Autos to purchase them - this is a new experience and warms the heart somewhat. I think I'm going to like this hobby!

I've still a hell of a lot to learn but am enjoying working my way around the bike (and it's a good excuse for a bit of 'dad and lad' time!) and hope to have a much better knowledge by the time we're MOT'd.

Thanks again for the warm welcome and look forward to sharing my progress, such as it is

John
58 Golden Flash

Offline JSF

• Moving Up
« Reply #13 on: 19.09. 2011 15:40 »
A quick progress update - A10's nearly ready for the MOT!

Just need to get a rear tyre fitted and the sump plate filter kit (to drain the wet sumped oil...), replace the fuel taps (thanks again C&D) and spend a few more hours in the gym (the cluth is still v.heavy but will do to get me moving!) and hopefully I can get my first ride at the controls of a BSA and give the bike it's first run since c1976! to the MOT.  Went to the Manx grand prix for hols which helped motivation loads and asked various A10 owner daft questions througout the week - apologies if this was you!

Really looking forward to getting it on the road in the next month and hopefully before the weather nosedives!

The site continues to be a great source of info and inspiration! I'll try to post a pic when we eventually get there!

John
58 Golden Flash

Offline JSF

• Moving Up
« Reply #14 on: 10.09. 2012 10:54 »
Just thought I'd pop up and say hello again and that I'm still progressing on my first BSA!

As you'll see, I've made slow progress due to lots of other things happening but I can happily report the a10's now running well!

Following previous posts, the ongoing house resto took over somewhat and we had real problems getting the bike running but having fitted a new carb last week it seems to run well so nearly there!

Just need to track down a few more bits and pieces (and keep fingers crossed that it's the thread on the fork leg spindle clamp bolt that's stripped and not the fork leg.....) and we'll be on the road.

I've eventually got a few pics so will hope to post these too.

Thanks again to the forum for lots of info - still learning and there's a lot to learn!

John
58 Golden Flash