Author Topic: petrol taps  (Read 5566 times)

G/F DAVE

Re: petrol taps
« Reply #15 on: 24.12. 2007 00:03 »
I, run same tap both sides of tank ie; no reserve. I use n/s side tap for normal running  & o/s for reserve.On my M20.s I use a combined tap with on/reserve as both sides are connected via balance pipe at front of tank. I also use plunger taps which are ok if kept wet with fuel & not left to dry out.G/F DAVE....

Online groily

• Wise & Enlightened
    • www.brightsparkmagnetos.com
« Reply #16 on: 24.12. 2007 11:45 »
Me too - and agree 100% about keeping corks wet. Best tap I have is on another bike, and is made from an old gas valve that was lying around - brass body, needle and seat, O rings in grooves machined on the plain shank of the threaded shaft that opens and shuts it- can't go wrong really (certainly when closed) and not too obtrusively weird. Wish I had a few more of them lying around! Groily
Bill

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #17 on: 24.12. 2007 16:20 »
Not quite right Beezageezauk.
the tanks have one side that is lower than the other around the tap, this and the fact that that tap has no tube gives a reserve that might just get you to the next garage without pushing.
Is it needed ? I ashamed to say yes *red* on a couple of occasions !!!!!

All the best - Bill
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #18 on: 24.12. 2007 16:40 »
Bill,

On my tank, there is a lower portion towrd the rear on one side, only, but the taps do not occur that far back. Therefore, there is no tap in the lowered portion. Also, I still don't see how a tube on the opposite side of the tunnel increases the reserve, unless it is a really long tube. I think the blokes (if I may use term) at BSA who designed the tank sheet metal were not the same ones deciding where the taps should go. Do you have another explanation?

Richard

Offline LJ.

• Peterborough UK.
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • The Red A10!
    • LJ's Website!
« Reply #19 on: 24.12. 2007 18:49 »
a reserve that might just get you to the next garage without pushing.
Is it needed ? I ashamed to say yes redface on a couple of occasions !!!!!

Same here.... Only that on my one and only occasion I had the taps wrong way round! The A10 is a big heavy bike to push a mile, especially with a flying jacket on and being all well wraped up!  *sad2*
Ride Safely Lads! LJ.
1940 BSA M20 500cc Girder/Rigid- (SOLD)
1947 BSA M21 600cc Girder/Rigid-Green
1949 BSA A7   500cc Girder/Plunger Star Twin-(SOLD)
1953 BSA B33  500cc Teles/Plunger-Maroon
1961 BSA A10  650cc Golden Flash-Blue
1961 BSA A10  650cc Golden Flash-Red

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #20 on: 24.12. 2007 19:06 »
LJ,

I'm not sure who the "same here" is meant for, me, I presume. So, does that mean you had the lowered tank portion without a tap in that portion, but had a tube on one side and not the other and mistakenly used the tubed side for reserve?

Richard

Offline Beezageezauk

• N.E. England
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #21 on: 24.12. 2007 19:36 »
I've taken on board what bsa-bill says but as I've never needed reserve on my A10, do I take it that reserve fuel is only good for about a mile??

As a comparison (and maybe this shouldn't be mentioned on this forum) my B31 has a reserve capacity of about 15 miles, but only one fuel tap.  I needed this a couple of years ago when I was working her a bit hard on a Belgian motorway and miscalculated my fuel economy.  I even ran out of reserve fuel but laid the bike down to get more from the blind side of the tank.  This got me to the fuel station without having to push....thank goodness.

Funnily enough, the A10 is more economical to run when motorway cruising with a full set of camping gear.  200 miles from full tank to reserve for the B31 and 230 miles at least for the A10.  As I said before, I've never used reserve on the A10. 

This has turned out to be quite an interesting thread.

Beezageezauk.

Offline LJ.

• Peterborough UK.
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • The Red A10!
    • LJ's Website!
« Reply #22 on: 24.12. 2007 21:36 »

I'm not sure who the "same here" is meant for, me, I presume.

Aimed at Bill actually Richard, as I was refering to the 'pushing' of bike to the petrol station.

My lower portion is on the left side (Dunno if they are all like this) and I used to have a habit of running on this side mistakingly thinking the right side was reserve. I learn by my mistakes! lol.

I'm wondering if there is much difference in the UK large tanks and those of the smaller U.S. tanks? What sizes do they have down in Oz?
Ride Safely Lads! LJ.
1940 BSA M20 500cc Girder/Rigid- (SOLD)
1947 BSA M21 600cc Girder/Rigid-Green
1949 BSA A7   500cc Girder/Plunger Star Twin-(SOLD)
1953 BSA B33  500cc Teles/Plunger-Maroon
1961 BSA A10  650cc Golden Flash-Blue
1961 BSA A10  650cc Golden Flash-Red

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #23 on: 24.12. 2007 22:14 »
been down the shed and checked the lower portion is indeed on the left side and the tap is bang in the middle of it.
Looks like we have difference in tanks maybe to do with year of manufacture mine is a 61
and the A10 is one heavy bike to push very far

All the best every one may Santa bring you something nice and shiny - Bill
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco