Author Topic: Hi there, New guy in town ;)  (Read 1709 times)

Offline a

• Valued Contributor
Hi there, New guy in town ;)
« on: 10.02. 2011 08:48 »
Hi there,
I registered an account for your forums, seen a few topics on here of interest, and maybe some others that I (or the old man) could shed a bit more light on)

Me:
I am 30, from Queensland, Australia. Normally work as a concreter, but work is slow at the moment, and seem to be doing more and more bike stuff. Have recently started restoring BSA's out of my Fathers workshop, and under his guidance. Although I have not been doing it too long, and also doing it in my "Spare" time, I have now restored 3 bikes (71 Firebird Scrambler, '60 Spitfire scrambler' 98% finished a '53 Super flash), and have now just started on a 1949 BSA A7, and 1947 BSA A7 (old boy is supposed to be doing the '47, but not looking that way so far!)
We (meaning the old man hahaha), have probably around 40 + restored bikes, all BSA's. He deals in spare parts, and as it looks, I have now taken over the restoring side of thing! I don't have a "great' deal of knowledge about the bikes, nor of their history, but I have someone who I believe is extremely knowledgeable there to teach me. In saying that, I am a mechanically minded person, and have  been brought up to fix cars, and now work on a race car team as well (in my OTHER spare time!)
Anyways, enough about my life story, Will keep an eye of new posts/topics, and try and help out if I (or the old man) can, and may even have questions I may need to ask from time to time.

Couple of quick pics of my bikes done so far...

71 Firebird. This bike was supposed to be a quick wipe down, bit of spray pack etc. just a quick tidy up that ended up a ground up job. Still not a "FULL" resto, but good for an everyday rider.

What I started with..

What I finished with...

Next bike I did was a 1960 BSA Spitfire Scrambler
What I started with...

What I finished with..

this next one is a 1953 BSA Super Flash, 98% finished, and should be done in the next week or so, waiting on the wiring loom to come back from being cloth coated.

and as it looks right now... I know, needs a clean!

I have complete resto albums of most items on all bikes that I have done so far, so if anyone wants to look...

71 Firebird - http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2045511&id=1533662948&l=8551cc6f7e

'60 Spitfire Scrambler - http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2053653&id=1533662948&l=6b1a528d20
Super Flash - http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2071291&id=1533662948&l=b2b99ac1d7

Cheers, Brett.

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
Re: Hi there, New guy in town ;)
« Reply #1 on: 10.02. 2011 12:01 »
G'day Brett, nice of you to join us.
                                              Looks like you know what it's about. Love the Spitfire.
Wish I had an old man like yours.
 Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline a10 gf

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF
« Reply #2 on: 10.02. 2011 18:05 »
Welcome to the forum, great bikes. Great Super Flash work & restoration pictures.

ps, please use thumbnails links for pictures see http://www.a7a10.net/forum/index.php/topic,2545.0.html

Stand with
A10 GF '53 My A10 website
"Success only gets you a ticket to a much more difficult task"

Offline trevinoz

• Newcastle, N.S.W. Australia.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 10.02. 2011 20:03 »
Brett,
              Had a quick look at your facebook and I assume you are Mike's son?
You didn't mention that the SF is No 2.
I have met your father a few times around the swaps.
Great work, keep going.
       Trev.

Offline a

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #4 on: 11.02. 2011 08:41 »
Sorry about the images, must have over looked that, will correct it in future.

Yes, I am Mike's Son, so I cant take any credit of the knowledge. But the bikes that I have done, all work was done by me, not him. He is a great person to learn from as I said. I figured it is all sitting there to be done, so I may as well start learning it all!

Personally the Spitfire is my favorite as well, and looks fantastic out in the sun for the pics. I'm hoping when I finish the Super Flash to give it a good clean, and push it outside to get some nice pictures of it with it's twin sister (Yes the old man has the blue one).

Will have to get some pictures also of the "pair" of bikes I am doing now ('47 &'49 A7's), and they too should be quite unique bikes. Especially the '47 with it's rare center stand etc.

Cheers, Brett

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 11.02. 2011 10:28 »
Hi Brett - great bikes
There is a best picture section on this forum, If I owned that Spitfire I would have that pic entered, it's fantastic. *respect*

My project isn't registered yet so no photo of it just yet so get yours in so I don't have it to compete against next year  *evil* *whistle*
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco