Author Topic: Newby  (Read 1233 times)

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
Newby
« on: 07.02. 2011 23:29 »
Hi folks, just joined this group.

Thinking about rebuilding my 1953 plunger frame A10 Golden Flash!

I have not used the bike for many many years but it is a complete machine. I rebuilt it once and it looked great. The bike has a low mileage, in the 30k's, as far as I can remember.

Anyway, I'd appreciate your help and advice to get things sorted.

My major concern is to get all the bright-stuff sourced and/or replated.

Neil Ives
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline sinbad

• Uk north west coast
  • A's Good Friend
Re: Newby
« Reply #1 on: 08.02. 2011 03:48 »
Hi Neil welcome, your in the right place here lots of info and help.Had my g/flash for many years to and I am currently refurbishing it. Best of luck.
Rod
1960 A10                             1998 Honda Cb 500
1953 sunbeam s7                   1988 Mz 250
1953 Nsu Consul 500 single        Jzr cx 500 Trike

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 08.02. 2011 16:55 »
Neil,

A hardy welcome to you. Glad you have joined us. I'm assuming you are in the UK but you have not included location info in your profile. Regarding chrome, there have been many posts here for plater recommendations, really, around the world. If you let the group know your location, you will surely get rapid response as to someone in your area or, at least, to whom it would be reasonable to ship.

I must admit to being envious of your project. I wish I had such a bike in front of me to dig into.

Richard L.

Offline Goldy

• Warwickshire, England
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #3 on: 08.02. 2011 20:09 »
Hi Neil. You mention getting parts replaced or re plated, I suggest that one of you basic principles of the restoration should be to re use parts rather than replace them. Although nearly all parts are now available, the quality of many of them is rather poor, so re use the original parts were possible. all the best with it.
56 A10 Golden Flash - Restore, ride, relive.                                          
56 C12 BSA project ongoing

Offline Stu55Flash

• A's Good Friend
    • Flash Resto
« Reply #4 on: 10.02. 2011 00:15 »
Good luck with the bike -  let us know if you want to sell instead of restore. Just completed mine last Aug. I personally think these are the best looking bikes end of.

Stu
"Keep a distance from lady "L" drivers in cars. Some are not mechanically minded, are slow to acquire road sense, an are apt to panic..." The Pitman Book of the BSA Twins.
Golden Flash Plunger 1955, Francis Barnett Falcon 67 1954, Ferguson TEA Tractor 1951. Looking for another project!

Offline RoadRunner

• A's Good Friend
  • Thinking Time
« Reply #5 on: 10.02. 2011 22:10 »
Hi & welcome Neil,

This is the right place to get lots of excellent advice - been very useful for me in restoring my A7 plunger which is almost nearing completion honest (but I've been saying that for months now!) ;). Just waiting to get my tank back from the platers (sort of nervous  *conf*) and then off to find a painter.

Good luck with resto.

RoadRunner.

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 20.03. 2012 17:16 »
Hi folks,

Thanks to everyone who welcomed me after my initial message.

Well I've finally tidied my garage enough to get my A10 up on the bench. After 38 years in my garages she's not nearly as bad as I'd thought. The chrome is all ruined, but the engine still turns over. I've just removed the dynamo so I can put it above the boiler to dry. Mag will be next.
I thought the pistons were original but after removing the head I see a tiny +020 on the very edge of one of them!

I'm thinking I may rebuild both wheels myself using Stainless rims and spokes.

I'll be back when I have something else to add.

Neil Ives

Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash