Author Topic: WANTED...CORRECT TACHO AND GEAR FOR 1959 SUPER ROCKET  (Read 1266 times)

Offline bbcobmike

• Active
My super rocket has a nacelle with the timing case blanked off where the tacho drive would go if the tacho option had been ordered.

I would like to fit the correct tacho and am willing to pay for the privilege!!!

So am looking for tacho, drive gear from mag, right angled gear box etc

Thanks,

Mike

Offline wilko

• Resident Legend
Re: WANTED...CORRECT TACHO AND GEAR FOR 1959 SUPER ROCKET
« Reply #1 on: 06.02. 2011 21:53 »
Ouch! That's gonna cost you!

Offline kiwipom

• Resident Legend
« Reply #2 on: 07.02. 2011 09:12 »
hi guys/bbcob,if you had a spare speedo or could aquire one i believe that they can be altered to become tacho`s, do you know of this or does it interst you do do it, i have to go down that path and have been told that it can be done, don`t know the cost, cheers,
p.s. the B33 racer in my picture has an angled rev drive from a Triumph 2500 car driven off the camshaft, presumably it came off the gearbox,could be food for thought.
A10.G.Flash(cafe racer)Honda 250 vtr. Yamaha Virago XV920.

War! what is it good for?Absolutely nothing, Edwin Star.
NewZealand

Offline bbcobmike

• Active
« Reply #3 on: 07.02. 2011 15:30 »
Just had a chat with Gagg & Sons.
You are right ...they can convert any chronometric tacho or speedo to what you want. Cost £140 plus VAT

Drive gearbox £90

I'll keep my eyes open for the SC83 tacho and if necessary pay £70 to have it restored rather than converted.

gdb

« Reply #4 on: 27.02. 2011 11:04 »
Hi Guys, I found your request when I was browsing A10 stuff on the net and just signed up yesterday.

A couple of points on the tacho - I wanted to do the same thing about 6 years ago and when visiting the BSA rally I met up with Roger Sharman of Cake Street Classics (01986798504) - Roger supplied me with a modified inner timing cover - originals are like rocking horse pooh a tabbed worm drive for my oil pump, cable and associated hardware but most importantly a brand new anti-clockwise 3:1 tacho.(RC1303/03)

Now before you all jump up and down and tell me you are after a mag drive unit let me continue!

As my machine is a 1956 A7SS my tacho should be driving off the mag (at the time my mag was auto advance but more later). So I acquired a right angle drive - an old timing cover in which I machined the tacho mounting area flat and tapped two holes in the bosses provided and mounted it all up - great up to the point when yes you are right, not only is my tacho 3:1 it is also anti-clock so no chance of that indicating any revs at all.

So, I researched the drive unit and found that it is made by Speedograph-Richfield  (http://www.speedograph-richfield.com) very helpful people who offered ( at a small cost ) to modify my 2:1 drive to perform the magic of converting not only direction of rotation but to provide the correct ratio to drive the 3:1 tacho - and yes it all works and the drive gearbox is available from Speedograph Richfield as a standard item.

I now have the best of both worlds - I can use 1 tacho in either a 1956 guise off the magneto or in 1960 guise off the oil pump.

What I am trying to say is - get a tacho from Roger then get the drive - from Richfield.

Finally if you haven't got a manual magneto you will need to get a special nut from George Prew to adapt the auto-advance unit or wait patiently for a manual cam ring housing to pop up on e-bay like I did.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Cheers
Gordon