Author Topic: Old style numberplates  (Read 2552 times)

Offline pato08

• A's Good Friend
  • A Work In Progress
Old style numberplates
« on: 18.12. 2010 11:29 »
Can anyone tell me where I can gat old style black and silver number plates made,  One for the back and one each side of front mudguard A10 Plunger
1957 Plunger, one of the very rare collector's items ;-)
Australia

Offline lawnmowerman

• Resident Legend
  • 1959 Super Rocket. Kent, England
Re: Old style numberplates
« Reply #1 on: 18.12. 2010 12:06 »
Hi Pato

I used Tippers http://www.tippersvintageplates.co.uk/phdi/p1.nsf/supppages/tippers?opendocument&part=6
Not the cheapest but they look the part.

Jim
1959 A10 SR
1938 Wolseley 14/60
1955 Ferguson TEF20 tractor
1965 Ferguson 135 tractor
1952 Matchless G80 rigid
1960 BMW R60
1954 Matchless G80S
1955 Ariel 500 VH
1951 Sunbeam S7DL
1960 Matchless G12 with Watsonian Monza
......and loads of lawnmowers

Too old to Rock and Roll but too young to die  (Jethro Tull 1976)

Offline pato08

• A's Good Friend
  • A Work In Progress
« Reply #2 on: 18.12. 2010 12:22 »
Thanks Jim

Added to my favourites, for future reference

Pato
1957 Plunger, one of the very rare collector's items ;-)
Australia

Offline Goldy

• Warwickshire, England
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #3 on: 18.12. 2010 16:36 »
The cheapest ones are the pressed type and are obtainable mail order from Pollards Motorcycles in Sheffield.
56 A10 Golden Flash - Restore, ride, relive.                                          
56 C12 BSA project ongoing

Offline Stu55Flash

• A's Good Friend
    • Flash Resto
« Reply #4 on: 18.12. 2010 19:14 »
I used 'Pressed Alloy Plates' Sheffield as advertised in the bike mags also:

01909 563310

Stu
"Keep a distance from lady "L" drivers in cars. Some are not mechanically minded, are slow to acquire road sense, an are apt to panic..." The Pitman Book of the BSA Twins.
Golden Flash Plunger 1955, Francis Barnett Falcon 67 1954, Ferguson TEA Tractor 1951. Looking for another project!

Offline RoadRunner

• A's Good Friend
  • Thinking Time
« Reply #5 on: 18.12. 2010 21:35 »
Hi,
Re number plates, I bought a set from Tippers which were of excellent quality but the front ones didn't quite have the same curvature as my front mudguard; hence the front ones were sourced from Pollards which fit okay and are reasonably good. Both sets have pressed numbers/letters. I guess it depends which front mudguard you have fitted - not sure if mine is correct for year/bike but it looks okay and it fits *smile*
Not sure it this has helped!

Cheers
RR 

Offline tombeau

• Resident Legend
« Reply #6 on: 20.12. 2010 11:40 »
Its funny, I actually identify our age of bikes as having letter stickers or hand painted lettering rather than alloy plates, which I think of as being a late 60's/70's thing.
A quick flick through of Rockers, and BSA twin Restoration, does rather reinforce this view. Are we being a bit guilty of blinging up our Beezas?
Still, do what you want. I'm not exactly the Authenticity Police.
Cheers,
Iain

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 20.12. 2010 13:02 »
Could have been a question of cost Iain , I can recall black plates with raised white plastic/Bakelite ? letters on cars of the same era

There again life is funny, I can't recall many things that I know happened but also I seem to recall things that SWMBO says never did happen *smiley4*
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline tombeau

• Resident Legend
« Reply #8 on: 20.12. 2010 13:11 »
You're right about those chunky white plastic letters on car plates. My dads bubblecar has 'em. The plates were by Bluemels.
My recollection of the 60's is also questionable as I was born in the '70's.
Cheers,
Iain

Offline RoadRunner

• A's Good Friend
  • Thinking Time
« Reply #9 on: 20.12. 2010 13:21 »
Hi, I don't recall the early sixties being I was only a youngester then; but the 'friend' who got me into this 'fine mess' of building an A7 still has his in bits with the original plates we're guessing. These are curved pressed ali but do not have nice rounded ends like the replica ones we get today - they are square ended and only just use enough metal to get the letters/numbers on, so quite short and look good. I did try to get some made this this but.... some people just so are inflexible  ;).

Anyhow my Beezer will never be totally authentic or orignal for its plate/year or model for that matter; but I am trying to use as many orignal aparts where humanly possible to made a decent looking bike that I like (hopefully - since I've never ridden it yet!) A 24 yr project coming to an end in 2011 unless.....

Cheers
RR

Offline Butch (cb)

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #10 on: 20.12. 2010 14:53 »
I think the only part of my Flash that has not been either replaced or renovated is the rear number plate inc. mount. It has extra tags welded on from some time in the past that bolt it to the mudguard. It's still resplendent in brush painted black with stick on white letters. It's a nostalgia thing for me.
Warning - observations made by this member have a 93% unreliability rating.

Of Bikes; various, including ...
'58 S/Arm Iron Head Flash Bitza

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #11 on: 20.12. 2010 15:44 »
A 24 yr project coming to an end in 2011 unless.....
Thanks RR -  makes my seven year project seem like I did it in a rush *smiley4*

My recollection of the 60's is also questionable as I was born in the '70's
Iain your probably familiar with the adage "If you can remember the sixties you weren't there" trouble is you had to have been 'active'  in the sixties to make sense of that adage *whistle*
All the best - Bill
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline Goldy

• Warwickshire, England
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #12 on: 21.12. 2010 09:43 »
In the 60,s if you were wealthy you had aluminium plates of if not, which was most of the bike population, then you used white adhesive stick on numbers and letters.
56 A10 Golden Flash - Restore, ride, relive.                                          
56 C12 BSA project ongoing

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #13 on: 21.12. 2010 09:58 »
Spot on Goldie
My 61 Flash was Black so the front numbers stuck straight onto the mudguard, now here's a teaser anybody know when it no longer became necessary to have numbers on the front ?
All the best - Bill

Offline Butch (cb)

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #14 on: 21.12. 2010 10:51 »
Always seems odd when you see contemporary road test reports of bikes you consider to be more modern, still carrying a front plate in the pics. I'm probably mostly thinking of the Trident here. I think these late ones were front on rather than side on. Interweb says:

Older British plates had white, grey or silver characters on a black background. This style of plate was phased out in 1972, and is now legal to be carried only on vehicles built prior to 1 January 1973.

Motorcycles formerly had a double-sided number plate on top of the front mudguard, curved to follow the contour of the wheel and visible from the sides. The requirement for the front number plate was dropped in 1975 because of the severe danger these presented to pedestrians in the event of a collision. Motorcycles registered after 1 September 2001 only need to display a rear number plate, while motorcycles registered before that date can display a number plate at the front if desired.
Warning - observations made by this member have a 93% unreliability rating.

Of Bikes; various, including ...
'58 S/Arm Iron Head Flash Bitza