Author Topic: WTB BSA Super Flash Frame  (Read 4176 times)

Online Beeza

• A's Good Friend
Re: WTB BSA Super Flash Frame
« Reply #15 on: 23.04. 2018 19:36 »
In case you're looking for an oil tank for your Super Flash, this was yesterday, and not me.
62 A10 BVSR, 62 A10 RGS, 53 SFS, 57 G/Flash-black one

Offline BritTwit

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #16 on: 24.04. 2018 04:36 »
About 700 53 Super Flashes were built.  This seems to be the popular consensus.  I have two under restoration and know of about 28 more.  Working with the BSAOCUK, I have determined 30 were dispatched to Canada.

17 Fred Deeley, Vancouver,B.C.
2   Nicholson Brothers, Saskatoon,Saskatchewan
4   Browns, Toronto, Ontario
7   Arlington Cycle & Sports, Montreal, Quebec

In my home state of Texas
Sykes Motorcycle Sales, Corpus Christi (first one in Texas)
Raymond C. Rathbun Co, El Paso
I'm still looking for more. Hopefully, with enough support, we can start a registry.
Any information or Super Flashe lore would be greatly appreciated.
Well, I've nothing better to do.

Offline a

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #17 on: 24.04. 2018 04:43 »
In case you're looking for an oil tank for your Super Flash, this was yesterday, and not me.
Do you have an item number for that?? I cant seem to find it on ebay

Offline a

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #18 on: 24.04. 2018 04:49 »
About 700 53 Super Flashes were built.  This seems to be the popular consensus.  I have two under restoration and know of about 28 more.  Working with the BSAOCUK, I have determined 30 were dispatched to Canada.

I'm still looking for more. Hopefully, with enough support, we can start a registry.

We have 2 here....

Offline Sluggo

• Serial Hoarder, or Eccentric Collector depending on viewpoint
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #19 on: 24.04. 2018 05:18 »

That sounds right, (700) I stand corrected.

( My memory is getting worse and when I try and wing it off the top of my head more & more I get things wrong, But at least I have a good excuse being run over by a car, scary thing is TBI patients are 75% more likely to have alzheimer's or dementia although I was always demented).

I read a lot of books and gained some slivers & nuggets from a number of them, But many are wrong or get many elements incorrect, for example Roy Bacons books are useful as long as you consider much of the material is flawed or written from a limited viewpoint. (IE: US variants tend to be misrepresented in Bacons books).

But Myles Raymond of Scotland was a very helpful source, I believe is he on here?  His early website had a lot of useful information, Got some anecdotes and a few tall tales from some California shops and dealers at the old timers banquets and AMCA events in California but most of those people are gone. (R.I.P) But one guy who IS still around is Bob Raber and if you guys have never picked his brain or visited his shop in San Jose Calif you should while we still have him.

The San Jose Clubmans show is hosted by a variety of British bike clubs (even had a showing of the Hesketh club a time or 2) But the BSAOC NorCal had some really good resources in years past.  I am deeply saddened that the event is no more and hoping something else arises.

The Original Old Timers banquets have gone away, and now is called "The Trailblazer club" and meets in SoCal as well as here in Oregon. Theres a few of these people still alive but every bulletin I get has a R.I.P for multiple members so losing the Tribal knowledge at a rapid clip.   The Bulletin editor runs some material from me often and I will ask for some specific BSA material to be posted and see what I can come up with.

I would be willing to look for any Superflash material in some of my Hap Alzina service bulletins and scan and post them.  I used to sell online and at events reprints of some of this type of material, But I had some issues with a few people taking the material, reproducing it and claiming copyright so stopped doing so.
(A wanker in Oz who calls himself "The CD Man" was the most egregious at this)   I know Mike Rielly bought a copy from me years ago, and thats totally ok, He puts that stuff to good use.
Remember that any advice received on a free internet forum is generally worth about 1/2 of what you paid for it.
We overcharge every 3rd customer to pass the savings onto you.
You can have High Quality, Low price, and fast turnaround. Pick any 2, Never all 3 at the same time.

Offline beesa71

• Moving Up
« Reply #20 on: 24.04. 2018 11:38 »
There's a 'Deeley' one near me in the UK needing restoration.

My guess is that it's been in the UK for circa 20 years (or more, but not much less).

Paul.

Offline scotty

• Resident Legend
« Reply #21 on: 24.04. 2018 15:04 »
FWIW

Deeley's in Vancouver BC are still very much alive as a Harley dealership now doing business as Trev Deeley.

They have a small motorcycle exhibition attached to the store building that has an ever changing line up of marques.

Last year I saw an early plunger A7 or A10 there as an exhibit

Perhaps they have a SF buried somewhere in the vaults

S

Scotty

Current liabilities:
'56 A10 Dark Flash
‘74 Berlin Bomber R75-6

Offline Sluggo

• Serial Hoarder, or Eccentric Collector depending on viewpoint
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #22 on: 24.04. 2018 18:58 »
Now totally off topic but here goes, I have always wanted to visit the Trev Deeley museum, or it used to be called that.  For years had been going to the Canadian Vintage bike show and swap meet up Tsawwassen BC Canada.  My friend Todd Copan and his family have been running that event 30 plus years.
Sadly, The mgmt at the Delta rec center got to be too difficult and the event was moved to Cloverdale BC.

* Hint Hint, Next event is coming soon! See: http://www.classicbikeswapmeet.com/
Road trip??

It has always been on my agenda to go to the museum and dealership and been hearing stories about them for years.  In the past there has also been a Saturday event on the US Side at Mt Vernon Wa, And was never able to line up the time to go/see/do everything.  Then they cut back the hours of the museum as well as the volume of bikes in there.  Still would like to go, but the story is that the Deeley Dealership was also a very important dealer for many Marques and Harley would ship up many unique bikes to test the waters with them, They ended up keeping many of these low production and prototypes and were exhibited in their display. So they were a must see for many in the AMCA Clubs (Antique MC Club of America) and been a lot of magazine articles about their bikes.

I am certain all their BSA Stuff is gone these days, But I do know a English nutter living in BC who pulled out a super rare trials bike out of there and then took it racing.  Collectors were appalled, and it created a bit of a stir for a while this madman was splashing around in the mud, rocks and trees with such a rare bike.
Kens response was simply "When I cant get my race gear on anymore I will worry about show & shines"
IIRC it was a Greeves and only a few were made, Somewhere I have a picture of it lashed to the back of his van, He sometimes camped at our farm doing long road trips for AHRMA events.

https://www.trevdeeley.com/learn-more-about-us--xinfo

" To say that Trev Deeley loved motorcycles would be an understatement. He raced,  rode, repaired, collected, sold, distributed and talked motorcycles throughout his life.

In 1917 Trev's grandfather, Fred Deeley Sr., began selling Harley-Davidson® motorcycles on Granville Street in Vancouver. Trev's father, Fred Jr., took over running the motorcycle operation in 1925. The business moved to 915 West Broadway a few years later. In 1950 they moved to 606 East Broadway.

During the 1940's and 1950's Trev dominated flat track motorcycle racing in the Northwest. He became a factory sponsored rider for Harley-Davidson®. His bikes bore the number 22 as an AMA expert national plate holder, the first Canadian to have this honor. After retiring from racing, Trev continued to affiliate with the sport through sponsoring and tutoring new riders. Champions like Yvon Duhamel, Barry Sheen, Steve Baker, Jim Allen, Don Vesco, and Pete Kellond had the benefit of Trev's support.

In 1953, Trev was appointed General Manager of Fred Deeley Motorcycles. Four years later he became the first Honda motorcycle distributor in the English speaking world. In 1973 the Harley-Davidson® Motor Company asked him to become its exclusive Canadian distributor. The distribution company was named Fred Deeley Imports Ltd in honor of the family's history in the motorcycle business. The retail store was renamed Trev Deeley Motorcycles in 1975 when Trev and his partners purchased the retail portion from Fred Deeley Imports.

In 1985 Trev became the first non-American on the board of directors for Harley-Davidson® Motor Company. He retired from the board in 1993.

In 1995 Trev Deeley was inducted into the Canadian Motorsport Hall of Fame. This followed with the induction into the AMA Hall of Fame and the BC Sports Hall of Fame. In 1997 Trev became the first Canadian to receive the Dudley Perkins Award for his outstanding contribution to the sport of motorcycling.

Trev Deeley's impact on the world of motorcycling in general, and Harley-Davidson® in particular, continues today through the Fairview Campus of the Northern Alberta Institute of Technology. The Trev Deeley Building was made possible by Trev's donation of $750,000. Its main role is to train and certify Harley-Davidson® technicians for dealerships across Canada.

The number 22 AMA Expert plate that was Trev Deeley's racing number is proudly displayed at Trev Deeley Motorcycles in honor of a great sportsman, businessman and Canadian.

We have moved to a larger building expanding our facilities for our customers at 1875 Boundary Road in Vancouver. Our newly expanded dealership features the Trev Deeley Collection under the name of Deeley Motorcycle Exhibition.

The Exhibition has photos and mementos from Trev's racing past as well as motorcycles from almost every era. This is a must for "Motorcycle Enthusiasts".
Remember that any advice received on a free internet forum is generally worth about 1/2 of what you paid for it.
We overcharge every 3rd customer to pass the savings onto you.
You can have High Quality, Low price, and fast turnaround. Pick any 2, Never all 3 at the same time.