Author Topic: E3L Lucas Dynamo wanted  (Read 2487 times)

Offline Duncan R

• Valued Contributor
E3L Lucas Dynamo wanted
« on: 09.09. 2010 11:20 »
Hi all,

Looking for an E3L Dynamo - good working order or for easy recon.

Many thanks
Anglo - Indian A7SS (Actually is a 650)
Kawasaki ZZR 1100
BMW R80GS
BMW R1100GS

Online trevinoz

• Newcastle, N.S.W. Australia.
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: E3L Lucas Dynamo wanted
« Reply #1 on: 09.09. 2010 21:44 »
Duncan,
             Maybe the first thing you should state is your whereabouts.
I have several on the shelf but I am in Australia.
  Trev.

Offline Duncan R

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #2 on: 10.09. 2010 09:06 »
Sorry Trev - I am in the UK so postage would be a bit steep.

Thanks

Duncan
Kawasaki ZZR 1100
BMW R80GS
BMW R1100GS

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
  • A kiwi with a racing A10 rig and too many projects
    • NZ Classic Sidecar Racing
« Reply #3 on: 20.09. 2010 22:11 »
Personally, I'd be seriously thinking about an Alton generator if I were you.
12volts, new, weighs bugger all.

just my 10 cents worth
Tim
A good rider periodically checks all nuts and bolts with a spanner to see that they are tight - Instruction Manual for BSA B series, p46, para 2.
New Zealand

Offline iansoady

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #4 on: 21.09. 2010 13:33 »
I beg to differ.....

There was an Alton fitted to my Velo when I bought it. It made a dreadful whining noise (I believe it has straight-cut gears internally) and required a switch to isolate it from the battery when not running otherwise the battery discharged through the regulator.

I sold it on ebay (weirdly I got almost as much for it as a new one would have cost!) and fitted an E3L which I rebuilt myself and a V-Reg2 electronic regulator. Result: perfectly silent running and very good charging.

Dynamos are nice simple instruments and very easy to fettle.
Ian.
1962 Golden Flash (arrived)
1955 Velo Viper/Venom (departed)
2004 Triumph Tiger 955i (staying)

Offline a101960

• Wise & Enlightened
  • BSA RGS BSA C12
« Reply #5 on: 21.09. 2010 14:33 »
Dynamos are nice simple instruments and very easy to fettle.
and required a switch to isolate it from the battery when not running otherwise the battery discharged through the regulator.

Ian,
I agree with you. There is no advantage in fitting an Alton, not least because around town it is no better than a dynamo at putting out a decent charge rate. True it has an advantage over the dynamo at cruising speeds. The Alton is not like a car alternator which will balance the load in slow moving traffic, and at idle speeds. For that reason alone it is not much of an improvement over a dynamo.

John

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 21.09. 2010 22:34 »
That's very interesting, On my B33 I replaced my magdyno with a combined modern BT-H unit and have noticed its generator component seems noisy and appears to have reduced my ability to get a satisfying yet ludicrously low tick over.

I have even considered reverting on the B33, but more because I like manual ign. I don't own an alton unit but had heard good reports of... Happy to stand corrected.
A good rider periodically checks all nuts and bolts with a spanner to see that they are tight - Instruction Manual for BSA B series, p46, para 2.
New Zealand

Offline Goldy

• Warwickshire, England
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #7 on: 22.09. 2010 15:03 »
I would think carefully about restoring a dynamo. I sent mine away for restoration and with post and packing both ways it cost more that a new one.
56 A10 Golden Flash - Restore, ride, relive.                                          
56 C12 BSA project ongoing

Offline tombeau

• Resident Legend
« Reply #8 on: 22.09. 2010 16:15 »
I have an Alton, no problems with it. Very happy.
I'm afraid I had some bad experiences with dynamos. You do not want to find yourself suddenly in the dark on the M25 in the late evening. It happened to me twice!
I vowed to never have one on a bike again. I know its irrational, but I've had dynamos rebuilt twice and different regulator systems, still been let down by them...or other bits in the chain.
Still to each their own.
Cheers,
iain

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #9 on: 22.09. 2010 20:48 »
G'day Duncan,
                        I have rebuilt both of mine with this kit http://www.hawkerelectrical.co.uk/catalogue/17-1_dynamo-spares.htm . The only part I could not find anywhere is the tufnol plate that holds the brush holders, so I made my own. The kit is easy to install, the first was done by a auto spark friend, the second I did myself. Both work very well. If you find you need a plate let me know, I still have enough material to make some more.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #10 on: 22.09. 2010 21:39 »
That looks like a good option! I'll be bookmarking that link.

G'day Duncan,
                        I have rebuilt both of mine with this kit http://www.hawkerelectrical.co.uk/catalogue/17-1_dynamo-spares.htm . The only part I could not find anywhere is the tufnol plate that holds the brush holders, so I made my own. The kit is easy to install, the first was done by a auto spark friend, the second I did myself. Both work very well. If you find you need a plate let me know, I still have enough material to make some more.
Cheers
New Zealand

Offline Duncan R

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #11 on: 24.09. 2010 10:20 »
Thanks all

I need to strip the current one down to see the condition, its not even spinning at the moment so some issues with the drive as well. It looks pretty nasty from what I can see just by taking the end cover off, like the rest of the bike it has not had an easy life . I am running on constant loss at the moment as I only do local runs during day light. I have done about 6 hours of riding with a fully charged battery and the lights are still bright
Kawasaki ZZR 1100
BMW R80GS
BMW R1100GS