Author Topic: Putting a picture (avatar) on my profile  (Read 1751 times)

Offline bikemadinspain

• A's Good Friend
  • HOW IT ARRIVED ON DAY ONE
Putting a picture (avatar) on my profile
« on: 19.08. 2010 21:08 »
Hi, I am having a major problem with my profile, I am trying to put a picture onto it to be displayed when my profile is shown, I have tried everything I can with no change, I also cannot get (Day One) to delete from my profile so that I can put a picture in its place, any help would be appreciated, Mr Nigel king    

Offline Caretaker

• Making things work !
  • Administrator
  • Valued Contributor
Re: Putting a picture on my profile
« Reply #1 on: 19.08. 2010 21:22 »
Hi there, did a test (as you see), all worked well. Go to Profile > Forum Profile Information > tick I will upload my own picture > Browse then go to wherever the picture file is on your pc and choose Open. When done, remember to click Change Profile at the bottom right of the page.

Any problems (maybe with your pc or browser settings), email me the picture and I'll fix it.
e

"Sometimes I say things that are so highly intelligent that I do not understand a word of it"

Offline anita

• Moving Up
  • South Yorkshire, UK
« Reply #2 on: 19.08. 2010 21:40 »
You couldn't check mine out could you, I've kept trying to put a picture of my A10 on and I still don't seem to be able to do it even with these good instructions.

Nigel, thanks for asking this questions, sorry to pinch your post. Anita
1951 BSA A10 plunger
1967 BSA C15
2004 Enfield Classic Bullet 500CC

Offline anita

• Moving Up
  • South Yorkshire, UK
« Reply #3 on: 19.08. 2010 21:45 »
Many thanks, that's so nice the A10 might not make it there for a while.
1951 BSA A10 plunger
1967 BSA C15
2004 Enfield Classic Bullet 500CC

Offline Caretaker

• Making things work !
  • Administrator
  • Valued Contributor
« Reply #4 on: 19.08. 2010 21:49 »
Thanks, anyway, it works, no doubt, and I've checked the members permissions, avatar uploading is enabled, so I cannot help further for the moment.
"Sometimes I say things that are so highly intelligent that I do not understand a word of it"

Offline bikemadinspain

• A's Good Friend
Re: Putting a picture (avatar) on my profile
« Reply #5 on: 20.08. 2010 13:18 »
Hi, I am having a major problem with my profile, I am trying to put a picture onto it to be displayed when my profile is shown, I have tried everything I can with no change, I also cannot get (Day One) to delete from my profile so that I can put a picture in its place, any help would be appreciated, Mr Nigel king    

No its still not letting me, it let me change the wording but not import the picture!!!!!!! and u say send the picture to u but what is your e mail address....

Offline Caretaker

• Making things work !
  • Administrator
  • Valued Contributor
« Reply #6 on: 20.08. 2010 20:21 »
bikemadinspain, testing again, got no problem in uploading an avatar (the bsa logo, this time did it from a different pc).

New member here got it working, so the avatar uploading is working as it should.

In the cases in the posts above, I must for the moment deduce there is something with the particular pc's, browsers, or the picture files themselves. I'll help if I can.

Offline Caretaker

• Making things work !
  • Administrator
  • Valued Contributor
« Reply #7 on: 21.08. 2010 18:02 »
Done, and the reason for the problems... was the picture file, original too big, 605 kb. I downsized the picture to a small 50 kb file and uploaded it. Members usually prepare their picture before using it as avatar, a small file like 50 to 70 kb is fine, yours just went over the max picture size on the forum, 600kb, and this applies to any upload, avatars as well. The confusion came from the forum program not giving a proper error message in this case.

btw, any big file below 600kb posted as avatar is resized automatically by the forum program and should work.
Best is to prepare the avatar yourself, pixel size is max 175 x 175, and I recommend the filesize to be under 75 kb.

The picture is great, maybe include the full size picture in a post ? (but get it under 600kb first!)

ps, Anita, I guess this will help you as well.

Thanks

Offline bikemadinspain

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #8 on: 21.08. 2010 22:53 »
Many thanks, sorry if any of it was my fault, I always think computers are like my first wife, u never get it right and whatever u do or however u try with them they dont make your life easier!!

adm edit: quoting removed. ps, not your fault, as the forum program gave no error message, and the permissible size info was not readily available.