Author Topic: LH Footrest  (Read 2608 times)

Offline chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
LH Footrest
« on: 02.06. 2010 22:22 »
Hi All,
Does any one have a spare left hand footrest to suit a late A10/SR that they would be prepared to sell or swop for other bits
I am fitting standard footrests to my RGS and have managed to piece together the rest of the assembly
I also need a long brake lever to suit, I think the early swingarm B31/33 or A7/10, 1954 or 55 brake pedal is the same??

Regards
John O R
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Offline trevinoz

• Newcastle, N.S.W. Australia.
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: LH Footrest
« Reply #1 on: 03.06. 2010 04:50 »
John,         
             You just missed a footrest on Aussie e-bay. It went for A$35.50.
You are correct about the brake lever.
                   Trev.

Offline chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 04.06. 2010 00:10 »
Hi Trevor
I was following that footrest, but the post from Aus to Ireland would be a couple of times the price of the footrest!! *eek*
Thanks for confirming the brake pedal question
Regards
John O R
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Offline trevinoz

• Newcastle, N.S.W. Australia.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 04.06. 2010 04:10 »
John,
          I don't know about Ireland but here the LH footrest is pretty hard to find.
I would guess that when the bikes were "retired" and stripped, the LH rest was removed to get at the chaincase and promptly lost.
                        Trev.

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 04.06. 2010 09:19 »
Are these easily repairable with heat, one of mine is bent
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline MG

• Resident Legend
« Reply #5 on: 04.06. 2010 09:46 »
Are these easily repairable with heat, one of mine is bent

Yep, no problem, just heat it with the oxy-acetylene kit. These are white malleable iron, so can even be welded and brazed easily if necessary.

Cheers, Markus
1955 A7 Shooting Star
1956 A10 Golden Flash
1961 Matchless G12 CSR

www.histo-tech.at - Restoration, Repairs, Racing

Austria

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 04.06. 2010 10:03 »
Thanks Marcus, I'm 110 yds from our workshop and bottles so that's another issue solved
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
  • A kiwi with a racing A10 rig and too many projects
    • NZ Classic Sidecar Racing
« Reply #7 on: 10.06. 2010 09:48 »
If you cant find one thats closer I can probably help you with a footrest, I think I've got a few in my spares, will have a look in the morning. Will no doubt need straightening...
Are you just after the footrest, not the knurled post it goes onto.
Have probably got a spare cross over shaft type brake lever, but dont have the earlier '54/55 type that goes with the crinkled hub.

Hi All,
Does any one have a spare left hand footrest to suit a late A10/SR that they would be prepared to sell or swop for other bits
I am fitting standard footrests to my RGS and have managed to piece together the rest of the assembly
I also need a long brake lever to suit, I think the early swingarm B31/33 or A7/10, 1954 or 55 brake pedal is the same??

Regards
John O R

A good rider periodically checks all nuts and bolts with a spanner to see that they are tight - Instruction Manual for BSA B series, p46, para 2.
New Zealand

Offline chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #8 on: 10.06. 2010 19:51 »
Hi Rocket Racer,
How did the search go? All I need is the peg itself, I have managed to collect all the other bits!
truly international, the mounts came from California via Ebay and the RH one from UK
Can you send me a PM regarding the cost and the postage to Southern Ireland?

Next is the brake pedal?
Can anyone confirm which BSA this pedal is from?? more importantly is it the one I need????

Best Regards
John O R
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Offline Beezageezauk

• N.E. England
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #9 on: 10.06. 2010 20:25 »
Hi John,

Could I suggest that you check the part number for the brake pedal you need.  The casting number on the actual brake pedal should be one digit different to the part number!!

Beezageezauk.

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
  • A kiwi with a racing A10 rig and too many projects
    • NZ Classic Sidecar Racing
« Reply #10 on: 11.06. 2010 07:05 »
John,
 not great news, The only swing arm footrests I've found are spoken for. The only spares really being some slightly different styled plunger ones.
Depending on how critical to you the correct look is, a RH plunger type actually has the same footrest position but is a different shape.
I did use a set of plunger ones before I could find some s/ arm type, they will do the job and dont look out of place. If a plunger one will do as a starting point you can have it for the cost of postage. doesnt owe me anything.
Its an option...

Hi Rocket Racer,
How did the search go? All I need is the peg itself, I have managed to collect all the other bits!
truly international, the mounts came from California via Ebay and the RH one from UK
Can you send me a PM regarding the cost and the postage to Southern Ireland?

Next is the brake pedal?
Can anyone confirm which BSA this pedal is from?? more importantly is it the one I need????

Best Regards
John O R
A good rider periodically checks all nuts and bolts with a spanner to see that they are tight - Instruction Manual for BSA B series, p46, para 2.
New Zealand

Offline chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #11 on: 11.06. 2010 09:57 »
Hi Rocket Racer,
Thanks for searching through your stuff for the footrest,
I will hold out and see if the correct one turns up!!
There are some repro ones on Ebay, BUT they are not pairs?????
The right hand one looks ok, but the left is like the plunger type (RH) even down to the cutaway part????
Thanks Again
John O R
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Offline chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #12 on: 13.06. 2010 16:13 »
Hi All,
I was out on a vintage run yesterday and  had a good look at the brake pedals on a selection of BSA's
The only pedals that I saw which has a "stop adjusting bolt" throught the brake rod lever are on the early swing arm singles, which have the crinkle rear hub.
On the basis of what I saw there I am after buying the pedal I posted photos of,
Hope I'm correct in my detective work??

Beezageezauk, there is no casting number on the pedal and this type is not shown on my parts book??
I must buy the suppliment pages for the RGS

Cheers
John O R
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Online Brian

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Mt Gambier, South Australia.
« Reply #13 on: 14.06. 2010 09:21 »
Hi John,

Just to clear up a small point here regarding the footrests. The footrests off a plunger B or M series BSA may well be useable on a s/arm A10, I dont know for sure, but you can not use a footrest off a plunger A10 or 7 on a s/arm model. The swing arm ones fit on a spline whereas the plunger models fit on a taper.

Offline chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #14 on: 14.06. 2010 19:39 »
HI Brian and All,
I am fairly familiar with all the vagaries of BSA footrests, and of the different types,
What has me bothered at the moment is that there are apparently repro sets on fleabay???
To me these appear to be NOT A PAIR ???
One seems to be a RH late A10 type, the same as on my A10 SR
The other looks to be a RH from a plunger single even down to the cutaway that is necessary to clear the gearbox when it is forward in the adjusting slots, I have put together 2 plunger models this year and this is the type fitted to both 1950 B33 and 52 B32 comp
The other A10 on the bench at the moment has right and left versions of the peg with the leg coming off the top of the splined portion (RH one in the photo) again the same as my SR!!!

Am I correct or have I lost my last remaining brain cell ????

Regards
John O R
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)