Author Topic: Hello to everyone on here.....  (Read 2418 times)

Offline ole thumper

• Moving Up
    • Ole Thumpers blog
Hello to everyone on here.....
« on: 08.05. 2010 18:58 »
Hey guys I just got myself a '52 golden flash (the engine/frame numbers date it at that anyhow although I have been told that it's a '54 model). I've been into singles all this while and have always wanted a golden flash since I got by first '56 B31 which I restored from the ground up. Anyhow here we are 23 years later and I have an ol goldie parked in my drive.She's sharing it with a '52 Triumph 5T and I think she's in good company ;) with the rest of the singles ogling her lovely curves....mmmm!

I think the oil tank's off a B31 plunger and the down pipes don't have the right bend to it- I sure would appreciate any pointers and all comments are welcome.
I have a mikuni carb on it at moment and she's a blast to ride. I intend getting the Amal -that I was given when I bought the bike- reconditioned and run her on the Amal. I think a 376 is the right carb to go with, correct me if I'm wrong.

I've read a lot of stuff on here as a guest and think it's a great forum. Now it's nice to be able to post as well.
I'm attaching a couple of quick pics that I took of the bike, I'm out working in the desert at the moment and should be home in about 4 weeks after which I think I will post some more pics.

Cheers~Hank
"The world is full of Kings and Queens, who blind your eyes then,steal your dreams..... (Black Sabbath-Heaven and Hell!).

Offline MG

• Resident Legend
Re: Hello to everyone on here.....
« Reply #1 on: 08.05. 2010 21:03 »
Hello Hank!

Welcome to the forum. I'm sure you will get all the information you will ever need here.

Cheers, Markus

P.S.: Your exhaust pipes look like they came off a Triumph maybe???
1955 A7 Shooting Star
1956 A10 Golden Flash
1961 Matchless G12 CSR

www.histo-tech.at - Restoration, Repairs, Racing

Austria

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #2 on: 08.05. 2010 21:18 »
G'day Hank,
                Welcome to the forum.
 Now that's one nice looking bike. The rear crash bars are a nice touch and don't look out of place. Ditto Marcus on the pipes, but look good anyway.
 Did you build her or bought her that way ?
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline a10 gf

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF
« Reply #3 on: 08.05. 2010 22:22 »
Welcome, 1st class bike (I like plungers), nice touch with the unique crash bars.
Seeing your ip... located in United Arab Emirates \ Dubai !?
And thanks for the kind words about the forum.

Regards
e

Stand with
A10 GF '53 My A10 website
"Success only gets you a ticket to a much more difficult task"

Offline ole thumper

• Moving Up
    • Ole Thumpers blog
« Reply #4 on: 09.05. 2010 10:46 »
Thanks for the nice welcome-glad you all like the bike.
The bike was bought the way you see it, it belonged to a gent who had it for donkey's years and who sold it to a friend who changed a few bits and bobs.Painted and chromed it. The pillion crash bar thingy came along with the bike so the credit goes to the old gent -who owned the bike originally- for thinking up that one. I like it so, I just left it on.
I plan on fabricating some downpipes using a pattern off my B31-would the bends be the same I wonder ?
Does anyone have a pic of the right oil tank that should go on this bike. I have an A10 oil tank that I got off ebay when I knew I was going to be buying this bike. Will post a pic of it when I get back home.
I'm out in Libya at the moment where it's friggin sandstorms most everyday but cool at nights. Waiting to go home in a bit and get some miles in on that goldie! Cheers.
"The world is full of Kings and Queens, who blind your eyes then,steal your dreams..... (Black Sabbath-Heaven and Hell!).

Offline A10Boy

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Solihull, Near Birmingham England.
« Reply #5 on: 15.05. 2010 11:01 »
Thumper, welcome  *smile*
Regards

Andy

1958 Super Rocket
Plus
Harley Super Glide Custom
Yam XJR 1300

Offline RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 15.05. 2010 14:38 »
Thumper,

Welcome. Really like your bike. So, that's not the correct tank? I don't own a plunger, but it looks to me like others I've seen here and in other photos. Hmmm? It just occurred to me, I say with some embarrassment, that I have never seen a plunger in person (not counting back more that 40 yrs, thank you).

Curious about Libya, but I suppose that's a personal question.

Richard L.

Offline rocket man

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #7 on: 15.05. 2010 21:27 »
welcome shes a beauty

dave

Offline gold33

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #8 on: 16.05. 2010 08:17 »
G'day Hank,

Beautiful bike. I believe the correct carb should be a 276 pre-mono. (1950-1953)
I run a 376 on my '52 but as yet have been unable to find an air-filter that will fit in the available space (not good in a sand storm at a guess)

Regards,
Darren
Darren
'52 Plunger

Offline ole thumper

• Moving Up
    • Ole Thumpers blog
« Reply #9 on: 17.05. 2010 07:06 »
Gosh you guys ARE a friendly lot-thanx a lot for the welcome again! Glad you all like the ol' girl  *smile*.
Thank you for the tip on the carb Darren. Will check out the carbs that I have sitting on the shelf in my garage-I'm sure that I have a 276 (pre ?) monoblock off one of my singles to give it a try.
As far as being really sure-I'm not really sure about anything as this is my first goldie and I've gotta confess just the second bike that I've seen in the flesh-if you could say that. Just from looking at pics and manuals, the OIL tank doesn't looks right, it looks like the oil tank on one of my B31 '52 plunger..maybe someone can confirm/correct me Richard.
As for the Libya thingy... I live on the east coast of India and I'm out here on a job and the Goldie's safely tucked away at home,so yeah, no worries about taking the bike out in a sand storm.

Hank

Online trevinoz

• Newcastle, N.S.W. Australia.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #10 on: 17.05. 2010 22:39 »
Hank,
          A full side-on photo would help identify the oil tank. From what I can see it may be a rigid tank.
The 276 carby for your bike is a bit rare as it has a right hand bowl to keep away from the magneto. Also the bowl is a 7 degree one. 1DB I think is the type.
  Trev.

Offline ole thumper

• Moving Up
    • Ole Thumpers blog
« Reply #11 on: 18.05. 2010 07:08 »
Hey Trev, thank you for the info on the carb. I most definitely don't have the carb that you're talking about but that is interesting.I found this site http://amalcarburettor.com where you customize a carb before buying it and the carb that you mentioned is up there. I have a few question that need answers to but I will do a bit of reading before I post them on here.
I found this pic in my email and it shows the oil tank pretty good.Hope this helps.

Online trevinoz

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #12 on: 18.05. 2010 23:03 »
G'day Hank,
                  That is a better view.
The filler is in the wrong place for a rigid A so your first theory sounds OK.
It could be B, C or M series, they all had the same shape but differed in filler, filter and drain holes.
          Trev.

Offline ole thumper

• Moving Up
    • Ole Thumpers blog
« Reply #13 on: 19.05. 2010 15:33 »
It sure looks like a B series -I've posted a pic of my B31 ..I know it's a bit on the dark side but you can see the position of the filler. I've also attached a couple of pics of the oil tank I bought on ebay, hopefully this IS the right type of oil tank-the guy I bought it off says that the oil tank is off a plunger Star Twin.

Hank

Online trevinoz

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #14 on: 19.05. 2010 22:28 »
Hank,
            That is definitely a plunger tank!
                   Trev.