Author Topic: Throttle set up  (Read 390 times)

Offline Craigy

• A's Good Friend
Throttle set up
« on: 23.09. 2024 09:04 »
Hi guys,

I’ve just put a new throttle cable on my ‘52 plunger, but there’s something I’m missing here re set up.

I have tried various positions but still can’t take up the slack. The cable I took off seems to have an outer about 2” longer so can’t figure it out.

Any help would be very much appreciated

I’ve got pics but not being give the option of reducing the size so can’t attach

Cheers
52 GF, 59 GF

Offline Rex

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: Throttle set up
« Reply #1 on: 23.09. 2024 09:21 »
If there's insufficient adjustment to take up the slack but the cable still pulls as it should, clearly the inner is too long or the outer too short. Time to break out the soldering iron.

Online limeyrob

• Resident Legend
« Reply #2 on: 23.09. 2024 11:39 »
There are 2 fixes, get a cable elbow (or make one) to fit on the carb top to take up the 2" or (as above) get the solder iron out. I had to do this recently and opted for the solder iron. But when I heated what I expected to be a brass nipple it turned into a blob ( *sad2*) so beware, the cheapskates just cast the whole cable end.  I got some copper tube same dia, cut 3/16 off, cross drilled it to fit cable, slid it to where it was needed and soldered it on.
Its a bit of a faff, but costs nothing and you get the exact right cable length.  I spread the cable in the tube as an added safety before soldering.
Slough 59 GF/SR

Offline Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 20.10. 2024 11:09 »
What matters in a cable is the amount of movement of the inner cable. The overall length of the cable is only important for neat routing.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash