Author Topic: cam plate plunger adjustment  (Read 369 times)

Offline David Tinsley

• A's Good Friend
cam plate plunger adjustment
« on: 11.09. 2024 20:37 »
1955 SA GF

The Haynes manual states that the cam plate plunger should be adjust so that two threads are showing. On my gearbox a lot more threads are visible. Before I start messing with it are the Haynes instructions incorrect, or is the "two threads showing" a starting point?

I have not been able to ride the bike much, engine is needing work, but the few miles I did it seemed that the gears were working OK, but it did take a solid push to get the gear selected.

What are the thoughts from the more experienced forum members? Leave as is, or adjust as per Haynes?

Thanks as always
Dave

1955 A10 Golden Flash

Online berger

• Wise & Enlightened
  • keith.uk 500sscafe.norbsa JDM honda 750fz
Re: cam plate plunger adjustment
« Reply #1 on: 11.09. 2024 21:35 »
that is way too far out unless it has a super dooper strong spring fitted, i set mine at 3 threads showing with some thread tape to stop oil creep.

Offline David Tinsley

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #2 on: 11.09. 2024 21:48 »
that is way too far out unless it has a super dooper strong spring fitted, i set mine at 3 threads showing with some thread tape to stop oil creep.

Thanks Berger,
So, will adjusting the screw to show only 2 threads make gear changes easier? or what?

1955 A10 Golden Flash

Online berger

• Wise & Enlightened
  • keith.uk 500sscafe.norbsa JDM honda 750fz
« Reply #3 on: 11.09. 2024 21:52 »
take it out and make sure it has the correct spring and plunger , oil will come out. if all correct set it up with 3 threads showing. you get pics on googly of the spring and plunger, make sure the little hole is not blocked in the plunger.

Offline David Tinsley

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #4 on: 11.09. 2024 22:24 »
Thanks Berger,
Just took it out and it looks correct compared with googly pics. Hole in plunger is clear so will stick it back with teflon tape and set to 3 threads

1955 A10 Golden Flash

Offline Swarfcut

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 12.09. 2024 08:51 »
   How it works..... The spring loaded plunger rides on the edge of the camplate, fitting into the dips on the  roller coaster outer profile to lock the gear selector arms in place when a particular gear is selected and fully engaged. The plunger also assists in rotating the camplate, so  the spring loading on the plunger is critical. Too tight, gear selection difficult, too loose, box will jump out of gear. Two threads (or thereabouts) is a good starting point, assuming standard components are fitted. Adjust in or out until you find the sweet spot where selection is easy and the gears don't jump out. Certainly easier on a box without worn dogs....

Worth checking spring length and type, that set up is deffo wrong. Bergs well on the money here.

Removing the plunger housing drains the gearbox main casing. Some oil still remains in the outer cavity. This has its own drain plug Expect odd bits of detritus, yellow specks and metallic chips are a concern, but the good news is that boxes in this state will continue to operate fine for a long time. Obvious moans, groans and knocks? Time to dig deeper.

Swarfy

Online Opo

• Active
« Reply #6 on: 12.09. 2024 09:05 »
In the Instruction Manual for BSA A Models 1955 is written: "Screw the plunger housing in until, with the locknut tightened, one complete thread is still visible."

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #7 on: 12.09. 2024 11:02 »
G'day Opo  *welcome*
Good of you to join us.
Is that an official BSA instruction manual? I've only seen the "2 threads showing" literature.
Cheers

ps: Go over to Introductions and tell us a bit about you and your bikes.
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Online Opo

• Active
« Reply #8 on: 12.09. 2024 21:24 »
Hi,

Yes, it is an official BSA instruction manual, MC.797-10. Printed in England, November 1955.

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #9 on: 12.09. 2024 23:08 »
G'day Opo.
Start with that but may have to back it out till good selection is achieved.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Online limeyrob

• Resident Legend
« Reply #10 on: 13.09. 2024 08:24 »
I've just read through Service Sheet 311 "Dismantling and re-assembly of gearbox and gear change"  alongside The A7-A10 "Manual" MC 797-10.
Curious.  The Service Sheet should be the repository of technical knowledge for servicing, the forward to the "Manual" contains the following:
"This instruction manual is intended to acquaint the BSA owner with the controls, general maintenance an technical data..." and in the next para "It does not contain the information necessary to carry out for complete stripping for major overhauls.."
But wait!  When I put the text of the Service sheet alongside the Manual while most is the same, the Manual has several more sections that are missing from the Service Sheet, including the important detail about the plunger setting.
I would always have taken the Service Sheets as my guide assuming them to be more detailed than the Manual, but that's clearly not the case and from now on I shall be looking at both.
The Manual is on this forum, here's the link:
https://www.a7a10.net/forum/doc/manual/A7_A10_1955_Manual.pdf
Slough 59 GF/SR