Author Topic: Windscreen polish, hope of removing wiper stripes  (Read 184 times)

Offline a10 gf

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF
The windscreen on my van over the years severely worn by microscopic traces from the wiper blades. 100% impossible to see them in normal daily use, but when a low sun shines from a certain angle I get ***completely*** blinded by a million of minuscule stripes, literally lethally dangerous, could smash into a pedestrian, electric pole, cyclist or even car and see nothing in advance.

Long ago windscreen repairshops offered polishing service, but no longer, they rahther sell a 1500 $ new glass. Alternative would be to throw a stone and claim damage from insurance (new screen with just a small % to pay personally), but nope, am staying legit in life.

The windscreen otherwise fine, decided to try glass polishing at home. Initial tests seemed that at least the special polish compound did no damage, so gave it some hours of repeated polish\clean\re-polish etc. Zero experience in polishing work, so will see in the coming days if it was worth it.

If seeing any amelioration, will rince and repeat until good results.

Stand with
A10 GF '53 My A10 website
"Success only gets you a ticket to a much more difficult task"

Offline Macbeth

• A's Good Friend
Re: Windscreen polish, hope of removing wiper stripes
« Reply #1 on: 27.08. 2024 00:14 »
I use Autoglym Glass Polish (pommie brand I think) but anyway I put it on one of those $40 electric polishers. Does a great job ! Need the polisher though as it takes a lot of work & more than hand polishing can do.

Follow up with Rainex & you won’t need wipers in any downpour as water can’t even stay on the glass

1960 Big Valve Super Rocket

Online limeyrob

• Resident Legend
« Reply #2 on: 27.08. 2024 10:01 »
Cerium oxide works really well and you can buy it in little tubs or packets and use it with a buff in a drill.  But for every bit on the screen there is a bit on you *conf*.  I've polished scratches out of headlamps and screens and even my phone and its worked well.
Slough 59 GF/SR

Online Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #3 on: 27.08. 2024 10:19 »
Is that "jewlers rouge "
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Online limeyrob

• Resident Legend
« Reply #4 on: 27.08. 2024 11:14 »
Apparently not. Jewelers rouge is iron oxide (hence red). Cerium oxide is white.  I don't know exactly why its the recommended polish for glass, but it seems to be just the right abrasiveness to cut the glass at a reasonable rate but leave it shiny.  Its quite cheap if you get it off e-bay or Amazon.
Slough 59 GF/SR

Offline a10 gf

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF
« Reply #5 on: 03.09. 2024 22:33 »
Have done a few polishing rounds, well tested today as was confronted exactly with different & difficult low sun conditions. Spectacular results, now seeing the road instead of a million sun reflections from wiper stripes.

Did 5x 30 minutes with the machine, with ample doses of polish compound, surely polished away quite some μ thickness of glass, obviously enough to remove the wiper stripes and create a clean, polished surface.

No signs of any harm\damage to the screen, on the contrary can now drive safely with low sun front\side, it's like getting a new car! Easy job, inexpensive with great safety benefits.

Stand with
A10 GF '53 My A10 website
"Success only gets you a ticket to a much more difficult task"