Author Topic: A10 handlebars  (Read 463 times)

Offline Sunbeam

• A's Good Friend
A10 handlebars
« on: 24.08. 2024 18:22 »
Hi, I'm in the process of putting my RGS back to touring trim using upside down standard bars instead of clip ons. Can anyone advise the best supplier and whether to use chrome or stainless bars.

Many thanks.

Howard.
Howard

Offline chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: A10 handlebars
« Reply #1 on: 24.08. 2024 21:26 »
Hi Howard,
I got very nice SS bars from Barleycorn Eng

John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Offline Sunbeam

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #2 on: 25.08. 2024 09:14 »
Thanks John, I'll try Barleycorn. Been bombed out looking at the different A10 handlebars on ebay. Just want the pull back and rise to look correct using dropped bars.

Thanks again.

Howard.
Howard

Online Brian

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Mt Gambier, South Australia.
« Reply #3 on: 25.08. 2024 21:56 »
My son fitted a set of "Ace" bars to his A10. They give quite a comfortable riding position and are sort of "period".

Offline Black Sheep

• Wise & Enlightened
    • Where black sheep live
« Reply #4 on: 26.08. 2024 06:39 »
Stainless bars are generally thinner walled than normal mild steel ones. Should you slide off on a fuel spill on a roundabout, stainless bars can bend. This will stretch the throttle cable to wide open whilst the back wheel is off the ground. The resulting over-rev can cause a con rod to let go which can cut the crankcases in half.
I have the evidence on a shelf. 
2 twins, 2 singles, lots of sheep

Online limeyrob

• Resident Legend
« Reply #5 on: 26.08. 2024 09:17 »
I too like mild steel.  Its strong and forgiving, stainless has some nasty habits.
Slough 59 GF/SR

Offline bl**dydrivers

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #6 on: 04.09. 2024 03:20 »
Stainless bars are generally thinner walled than normal mild steel ones. Should you slide off on a fuel spill on a roundabout, stainless bars can bend. This will stretch the throttle cable to wide open whilst the back wheel is off the ground. The resulting over-rev can cause a con rod to let go which can cut the crankcases in half.
I have the evidence on a shelf.

Wow, I thought stainless steel was the way to go! Was going through my boxes of parts organizing the garage, found the handlebars I got years ago and thought they were light!
Did not think of this!

Online Triton Thrasher

• Scotland
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 04.09. 2024 08:18 »
Mild steel bars also bend in a crash.

Online JulianS

• 1962 A10
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #8 on: 04.09. 2024 08:57 »
I fitted stainless bars way back in 1977 and have been using the same ones eversince. No regrets. No problems.

Online Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #9 on: 04.09. 2024 09:19 »
TT "mild steel bends in the event of a crash ",I agree as my right knee as a dint in it where it bent the bars on my Shooter in 1967 when I had a fight with a bus Bus . When I saw it in the shop whereI worked I couldn't beleive it the angle was fantastic had it been SS I'd have lost the knee !
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Online limeyrob

• Resident Legend
« Reply #10 on: 04.09. 2024 09:33 »
I think another problem is that while we have a pretty good idea what we get with mild steel even though there is some poor quality around, with stainless it can be a gamble. Quality sourced with correct grade and treatment is excellent but there's a lot of Chines rubbish around that work hardens with vibration and fractures.
Screws are an example - marine grade stainless are excellent, but I recently bought some "generic" ie Chinesium stainless screws and the heads were shearing off before they were tight, it took hours to drill them out and replace with zinc plated steel.  I tested the rest in a vice, they were all over the place.  So while  stainless can be very good, you need to be sure that's what you are getting.
Slough 59 GF/SR

Offline Jules

• Resident Legend
  • 1956 A10 s/arm Golden Flash
« Reply #11 on: 04.09. 2024 11:11 »
304 Stainless is often used because its easier to manufacture being "softer" than 316 but its also less expensive and more prone to corrosion than 316. However, when compared to mild steel like for like, 304 SS is softer than MS so you need to be cautious with bolts in particular to check their grade, but its much more corrosion resistant! As long as you are aware of these limitations then SS is a fine alternative, I think........

Online Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #12 on: 04.09. 2024 13:28 »
Does anyone remember the S/S car exhausts back in the 70's?  My Brothers a metalurgist and in those days was working for midland roll makers in Crewe .He drove a Leyland car (heap ) which devoured exhausts he spotted a garage offering guaranteed for life.He checked it out and that was the guarantee was for life  know ing full well they wouldn't last he bought a system and returned and returned until he sold the car 5 vrs later, they hadn't rotted joints just gave up the ghost
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Offline Jules

• Resident Legend
  • 1956 A10 s/arm Golden Flash
« Reply #13 on: 05.09. 2024 08:00 »
wow, SS exhausts back in the 70's was unheard of Topdad, but would have been a good upgrade vs the MS that everybody used back then...if the joints were the issue then they were probably just using MS rods for the welding ilo SS (I guess??)
SS exhausts became standard once we went to ULP and catalysts of course, during catalyst development it became very apparent, very quickly that the MS exhausts just were not durable enough to meet the exhaust emissions standards requirements for longevity...

Offline Rex

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #14 on: 05.09. 2024 08:59 »
Stainless cylinder studs and head bolts intrigue me. Given the extremely variable quality and S/S propensity for galling, why would you?