Author Topic: Lawnmower  (Read 229 times)

Online Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
Lawnmower
« on: 21.08. 2024 09:10 »
hope that grabs your attention . Trying to sort a 4stroke lawnmower  for my lovely daughter. Can get the make and model if someone can help me .  She left it in a tool storeage shed  which deteriorated over the winter . Anyway come May and as usual I'm asked to start it Ihadn't noticed that 2 nuts holding the string starter assy were loose so I heaved and bloody heaved but all I got was I fart and thats all what I hadn't realised was the starter assy was bent due to the loose nuts  taking it of I beat it true but heres the rub I taken a chuck of the hard plastic starter part th`at turns the motor and I can't find what the bloody thing is called in lawnmower parlance
I then remembered I'd seen a forum member list after his various bikes "numerous lawnmowers " hopefully the gent knows something about these things  otherwise I'll buy her a new one but this being 1 yr old rankles `````````````````````````````````````````````````thanks for reading`
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
Re: Lawnmower
« Reply #1 on: 21.08. 2024 11:03 »
G'day Bob.
I work in a mower shop and see it every day.
What make and model is it? Hoping it's not chinesium!
The carb is probably gummed up with old fuel. Drain the carb & tank (most carbs have two bolts on the bowl, the one off center is the drain). Put some fresh fuel in and remove the air filter. Give it a blast of "start ya bastard" and pull like a 14 year old!
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Online Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #2 on: 21.08. 2024 12:59 »
Hi Musky, seems a long time since we nattered !  thanks for the info bang on I cleaned the  caeb of the jam that it had turned into and its now clean but another problem is whilst standing  the stator which I assume sorts the sparks as rusted if I clean it up with emery will it effect the gap of the pickups or are they no that finicky ? model is? but very similar to my Briggs and stratton badged by a gardening comp but Chinnesse?? I think ,  Thanks in advance Mate take care Bob
United Kingdom

Online groily

• Wise & Enlightened
    • www.brightsparkmagnetos.com
« Reply #3 on: 21.08. 2024 13:18 »
Good you've got the jam out of the carb.
Could the busted bit with the chunk out be a 'ratchet pawl' or the 'pawl friction plate' or similar? Or is it part of the actual pulley/spring assembly itself that's broken off? The pix in the link below might give a clue about what the bits are called, given that most cord-pull starters have a lot in common.
On the other hand  . . .  maybe need to know the exact make and model.
https://shop.briggsandstratton.com/collections/starters-and-starter-parts

Or maybe look at, eg, this link for more ideas - https://www.japgmowers.co.uk/starter-pulley--hub-set--efco-125-141sp-mt2600-mt4100sp-chainsaw-50170153r--50170155r-37479-p.asp

A lot of things to do with mowers and other garden tools seem to me to be a pain - we all need Musky as a neighbour! But I reckon you can clean up the laminates OK without affecting the air gap much, and it should work. Says he  . . . but it defo did the trick for one of my neighbour's rotovators, a humungous thing that scares the daylights out of me every time he asks me round to play. Which is at the start of every tilling season. (Round here, people have vegetable FIELDS, forget 'patches'!)
Bill

Online Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #4 on: 21.08. 2024 13:39 »
Thanks Groily,  it is part of that starter pull pawl in hard black plastic is it  one piece or can you just get parts.I will have a look at the links  but a totally different agenda for me  many thanks for your help,Bob
United Kingdom

Online Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #5 on: 21.08. 2024 14:41 »
Well thanks to Groily's help I think I identified the full part as a rewind starter p/number  695287 .Groliy do you think they may sell em as individual parts ?
United Kingdom

Online groily

• Wise & Enlightened
    • www.brightsparkmagnetos.com
« Reply #6 on: 21.08. 2024 17:54 »
'fraid I just don't know Bob. Think you'll have to call 'em or send an email (if they answer stuff).
Looking at some other sites for other makes, I'd say possibly 'no', they prefer to sell whole sub-assemblies, but B&S seemed to break things down better than some others.
My experience with after-sales on garden stuff - mowers, strimmers, chainsaws, hedge trimmers etc - has been a bit 'some and some'.
On one occasion I got so p****ed off I rang the manufacturers of a ride-on mower clutch after discovering it was actually made in Wisconsin and got them to send me what the locals here said would take 6 weeks at best and cost a fortune (300€+).  It took 3 days and cost 70$US plus a bit of postage  . . . That tells me something! Not sure what, except that Customer Service and a Service Economy still existed at that time in the good 'ole US of A. It's not always easy to beat the system of distributors and protected partitioned markets, designed to screw us (wash my mouth out with soap, sorry, I meant 'improve the customer experience').

Maybe you'll be as lucky. But in whichever case, better than buying a whole new machine for the lovely daughter I'd have thought!
Bill

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
« Reply #7 on: 21.08. 2024 20:05 »
G'day Bob.
Could you take a pic of the broken bit? Some can be fixed, some can't. Don't try pulling it apart, if the spring lets go you'll have a dickens of a job getting that back in. I had a Honda in for starter repair yesterday. Was quicker and cheaper to replace the whole assembly $60 = £30, about the same price for a B&S 695287.
Re sparkies. Take the coil off and clean the pickups and the rotor with emery. When replacing the coil put a business card between the pickups and rotor magnet and lock up at that. If it still won't spark take the thin wire off the coil (that's the kill wire) and see.
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Online Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #8 on: 22.08. 2024 08:53 »
Thanks Musky yeah I thought that about the spring letting go so am trying to price up the unit at least I know what I need now but so far a reluctance to communicate is slowing things done !
United Kingdom

Offline Swarfcut

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #9 on: 22.08. 2024 09:53 »
  Musky's trick to set the air gap on the coil is so simple, works every time, and thanks to YouTube there are literally thousands of viddys of professionals and backyard guys bringing some truly hopeless cases back to working order. Ignition timing is fixed and will only change if the flywheel shears off the key, as when the mower hits a big lump of concrete and stops with a BANG!

Among my faves on YouTube are "Taryl fixes all" and "Steve's Small Engine Saloon", both with extensive insight into the how and why, plus an element of comedy and alcohol.

From experience checking the oil, getting compression and a spark are the first steps with any unknown or reluctant small engine. If it fires and runs with a spray of "Start Yer B****rd", then we're over halfway there and into the more complicated stuff, meaning fuel system from fuel cap to inlet tract and the innards of that pesky carb.

Chinesium Carbs often based on Honda type, straighforward conventional layout, but Briggs use a variety of types, all competing for the title "King of Crap" Can you believe an all plastic carb? Or a carb that sits on top of the fuel tank with a built in fuel pump consisting of a diaphragm gasket that fails when exposed to E10 fuel.

Big End Knock!!!????   Make sure the blade is on good and tight. A good few scrapped as major engine failure without this simple check.

Swarfy.

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
« Reply #10 on: 22.08. 2024 11:51 »
G'day Swarfy.
I don't mind the ones mounted on the tank, It's those bl@@dy plastic ones I hate (mainly on Victas).
Hay Bob, how about a few pics of your headache.
Cheers
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Online Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #11 on: 22.08. 2024 15:33 »
My Pc is playing up tried 3 times and won't download the pictures try later cheers
United Kingdom