Author Topic: Mamod Set to Close  (Read 343 times)

Offline BagONails

• Valued Contributor
Mamod Set to Close
« on: 17.08. 2024 14:04 »
Sad news indeed. I still have my little stationary engine from about 50 years ago. Must give it a service and fire it up in tribute to these wonderful people who helped create so many happy childhood memories. The factory looks a little chaotic and an anachronistic WHS nightmare but all very interesting.

Spot the BSA by the way!

https://youtu.be/pSwWC6vdFx0?si=kspZBSnLS80585zo

Ian
59 GF A10
67 Spitfire under resto
2013 kwaka W800 Desert Sled (ex write off)

Nil Desperandum

Online groily

• Wise & Enlightened
    • www.brightsparkmagnetos.com
Re: Mamod Set to Close
« Reply #1 on: 17.08. 2024 18:39 »
Very sad. Another of the things that made life interesting for curious kids back when goes down the plug'ole.

Plenty of interesting toys nowadays of course, some even requiring a modicum of intelligence - but steam engines, Meccano (my all time favourite), clockwork Hornby train sets (not really my thing, but nice all the same) . . . have all had their day. Although Lego lives on for them as likes playing with plastic blocks, and has evolved  to maintain its popularity. Not something for the serious pre-pubescent biker-in-the-making though, even if the design options are endlessly brilliant (my grandchildren tell, so it must be true).
And as for air rifles (esp BSAs!), the absolute MUST HAVE for the enterprising pre-teen still waiting to get to grips with GIRLS, along with a decent sheath knife with a good bone handle and a Bowie-shaped blade. . . . Omigod, can't be encouraging the youf to shoot things or play with offensive weapons  . . . . I still have all of them and more though, god help the Heirs when they have to sort through it all.
Oh well  . . . The Times they Are - a -Changèd
Bill

Offline BagONails

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #2 on: 18.08. 2024 03:19 »
Yep, very well put Groily. I've still got the 0.22" Airsporter too!
That put paid to a lot of Watneys Red Barrel and Double Diamond tins back in the day!
Ian
59 GF A10
67 Spitfire under resto
2013 kwaka W800 Desert Sled (ex write off)

Nil Desperandum

Online Bsareg

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #3 on: 18.08. 2024 17:07 »
Another good teaching toy was the Juneero kit. Very like Meccano but you had to make the metal pieces from Aluminium rod and flat bar. It could all be done on the one tool including bending, cutting, punching holes and threading. I sometimes still find a use for the tool. Pics below with a tin-o-Spam for scale. Both were popular around the same time. 😁
Helston, Cornwall C11,B40,B44 Victor,A10,RGS,M21,Rocket3,REBSA

Online berger

• Wise & Enlightened
  • keith.uk 500sscafe.norbsa JDM honda 750fz
« Reply #4 on: 18.08. 2024 21:17 »
if it could open the spam both ends so you can push it out it would be a great tool  ;)