Author Topic: Whitworth hex bar  (Read 556 times)

Offline Slymo

• Valued Contributor
Whitworth hex bar
« on: 16.08. 2024 23:33 »
Looking for a source of Whitworth hex sizes (or metric equivalents 13mm, 15mm 18mm)in mild steel or 1045 or similar. Preferably in NZ but anyone from anywhere that will send small lengths would be goodNot keen on stainless. :)
NZ

Online Rex

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: Whitworth hex bar
« Reply #1 on: 17.08. 2024 09:12 »
Probably easier if you were to search for "Imperial hex" rather than "Whitworth hex" as Whit is the thread form.

Offline Slymo

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #2 on: 17.08. 2024 10:53 »
Tried em all which is why I'm after metric sizes.
NZ

Online jhg1958

• Valued Contributor
  • The more I learn I realise how little I know
« Reply #3 on: 17.08. 2024 11:21 »
Have a look at
 https://www.metalmaniauk.com/steel/hexagon-bar/

I could buy some but the postage would be enormous.

John
1961 Golden Flash S/Arm

Online groily

• Wise & Enlightened
    • www.brightsparkmagnetos.com
« Reply #4 on: 17.08. 2024 13:18 »
Probably easier if you were to search for "Imperial hex" rather than "Whitworth hex" as Whit is the thread form.
True Rex - but if you want the correct AF sizes on the WW/BSF/BSC fasteners you make, you need to get hex in the sizes listed below or very close. Some folk do have it (and label the stuff in WW/BSF sizes rather than decimal fractions of an inch - or that's how mine comes), but I don't think there are all that many, especially ex-UK. Stainless seems to be easier - see eg https://www.nogginend.com/product/Stainless-Steel-303-Whitworth-and-BSF-Hexagon
But postage would be the obvious nightmare for any quantity worth having, if it had to come from the UK.

Heresy I know, but the odd one-off mm or UNC/F imperial size may be the practical compromise, especially if avoiding SS - I know I have been guilty now and then (and have a couple of extra spanners in my mobile toolkit kjt to cope).

Thread diameter WW/BSF             AF size"
1/16                                              .340
1/4                                                .445
5/16                                              .525
3/8                                                .6
7/16                                              .71
1/2                                                .82
9/16                                              .92
5/8                                               1.01

Bill

Offline Slymo

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #5 on: 18.08. 2024 00:04 »
That’s my methodology. If I can’t find appropriate and un molested nuts in my boxes of bits or I need continuity in appearance I’ll go for 7/16” AF for 1/4” which is .4375 as opposed to .440, 13mm for 5/16” which is .5118 against .525 and 15mm for 3/8” which is .5905 vs .600. All close enough for one set of imperial spanners or sockets. 18mm which appears to be unobtainium despite being a common head size in NZ is .7087 vs .710 so a brilliant match but even Ali Express don’t provide it which I discover they do for 13 and 15mm. Not cheap for 500mm delivered to NZ but I get a few nuts out of 1/2 a metre. That goodness I don’t need bolts!
NZ

Online chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 18.08. 2024 11:55 »
Hi All,
The WW sized hex bar in stainless is usually quite soft (competitively) and easily machined. When it comes to making  bolts I use round bar and put a nut depth thread on one end, screw on the appropriate nut tightly, then weld over the end and shape in the lathe.
On my 24 BSA Project there are round headed frame bolts with a Dowell pin just under the round head that locate in slots in the frame or engine plates. I used the above method to make them..
I went to Stafford show earlier this year hoping to 're stock on hex bar and such.
It would seem that almost all of the previously usual sellers  have given up going there.. it is only a shadow of what it was  *ex*

John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Online groily

• Wise & Enlightened
    • www.brightsparkmagnetos.com
« Reply #7 on: 18.08. 2024 12:54 »
When it comes to making  bolts I use round bar and put a nut depth thread on one end, screw on the appropriate nut tightly  . . .
I do similar John when needs must, but haven't had to do the 'dome-head + locating dowel' thing I'm glad to say.
Thing is though, still need to get some stock to Slymo so he can get his nuts in order!
Tis indeed a shame that vendors aren't supporting some of the shows the way they always did. I think most of my hex stock came from Netley Marsh years ago when I happened to be over that way and bought a decent load (from the Metal Man?). Maybe it's not worth the pitch hire, the fuel and the time any more? I've heard that pitches are quite £$€ these days, so you'd need to shift a fair bit to make it worthwhile perhaps? Plus the fact that a lot of people feel poorer now than a few years back, what with one thing and another.
Bill

Offline Slymo

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #8 on: 19.08. 2024 03:02 »
Indeed these are straitened times! I have a dividing head for the Myford so can set it up to mill the occasional short length from bar or larger size hex as required. However it does seem strange that brass and stainless are available but not steel. I think the Model Engineering community provide the demand for those but there must be a few looking to replace parts of their aging English machinery to make stocking a bit of bar worthwhile?
NZ

Offline trevinoz

• Newcastle, N.S.W. Australia.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #9 on: 19.08. 2024 23:04 »
I imagine that the problem is that nobody is rolling B.S. size hex bar.
I bought a fair bit some years ago but it is nearly all gone. When I bought it the supplier assured me that it would always be available. I guess that "always" has passed.

Online Brian

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Mt Gambier, South Australia.
« Reply #10 on: 20.08. 2024 01:53 »
I used to search for hex bar in the correct sizes but as the years have gone by it is just not available any more so these days I make most of my bolts from round bar, mainly 304 stainless. I have a lathe and mill with a rotary table so can cut any thread or hex size I want out of any stock available.