Author Topic: Wanted pair 1 1/16" 376 Amals  (Read 1001 times)

Offline Slymo

• Valued Contributor
Re: Wanted pair 1 1/16" 376 Amals
« Reply #15 on: 20.08. 2024 07:02 »
As I have one ported cover already the considerably cheaper option is to get another one and join them that way. I can work if they are going to work OK as a pair and then worry about fettling them up later.
NZ

Online groily

• Wise & Enlightened
    • www.brightsparkmagnetos.com
« Reply #16 on: 20.08. 2024 07:10 »
The chopped carby doesn't need a float chamber cover.  Both carbys have the extended jet block holders and banjos.
I have never heard of using a cover with an inlet, I have seen them but I thought it was a breather. I learn something new every day.
The worst problem you are going to have is trying to do adjustments between the carbys.
I have a 1966 Atlas with a left & right hand Monobloc, it is really difficult to adjust.
My late friend had a Connie but it was a single carb model.

I didn't realise there was that sort of cover with a feed tube either until a friend showed me his and pointed to a source. I wonder if you could use two, as they're cheap compared to the extended jet blocks? (Ah, I see you're asking yourself the same question Slymo.)
Adjustment is a palaver with parallel closely-spaced carbs, I agree. Putting a small hex on the head of the pilot air screw can help with getting a weapon onto it. Is what I have on the 650SS.
I am also told that setting up the cross-feed pipe between the 2 bottom banjos as a rearward-oriented 'U' loop, and then making a longer slow running adjustment screw for the inaccessible carb (unimpeded by the feed pipe), is a good plan, although I haven't done that myself (yet!).
(Not sure if  the standard twin-carb Connie used parallel or splayed carbs - if parallel, then the minor mods would probably be wise?)

Apropos the separate cylinders and heads, yup, the one-piece cylinder was a massive improvement (my Oilfield addict-mate who has one also tells me). Oilfield weren't alone in using separate bits though, as AMC did it, with fewer leakage issues. They went to 3/8" through-studs - still only 4 per side, however - on their later engines but even their 650s ran on 5/16" for several years.
Definitely not as solid as the barrel to head fasteners on an A10 I agree - but you win and you lose, as at least there's no risk of breakage of (thin-flange) barrel flanges. That's a painful T-shirt to have to wear, I remember it too well.
Bill

Offline Slymo

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #17 on: 22.08. 2024 02:05 »
Splayed carbs on the Constellation on a bolt on manifold so I'll definitely examine the potential for extended adjusters. The joined bowl covers just got even cheaper as I found a local source so will definitely start with that. Seems to be less inclined to starve one side when on the lean too. and the small capacity of the truncated bowl should assist with tuneablity.
NZ

Online groily

• Wise & Enlightened
    • www.brightsparkmagnetos.com
« Reply #18 on: 22.08. 2024 07:26 »
Splayed carbs on the Constellation on a bolt on manifold so I'll definitely examine the potential for extended adjusters. The joined bowl covers just got even cheaper as I found a local source so will definitely start with that. Seems to be less inclined to starve one side when on the lean too. and the small capacity of the truncated bowl should assist with tuneablity.
Good news about the lids Slymo. Sounds as if the manifolding I had on my café was probably 'right' then - wasn't sure as it was much altered and the only other Connies I'd seen had been single carb as per Super Meteor.
Tuneability, maybe - there's only one float level to worry about at least! I've had those ribbed extended float covers on my left-hand ones, but I suspect they're just theatre like so much else.
As to lean (angle not mixture) what I have found unless it's just coincidence / something else, is that the side stand isn't your friend when parking hot for short periods, as the truncated carb level drains down, a quick tickle floods the left hand one etc. You'd think the levels would sort themselves pretty much instantly, and they should do given that fluids are, er, fluid  . . . but I have found them to be sensitive.
Heresy, but Mk 1 concentrics were an easy fit and easier 'maintain' on my P11 than the chopped pairs in question.
Bill