Author Topic: Exhaust retainer springs?  (Read 277 times)

Online limeyrob

• Resident Legend
Exhaust retainer springs?
« on: 16.07. 2024 22:19 »
My A10 has a 2:1 exhaust, its not great condition but I like the sound and look.  However the short TS pipe is hard to keep in place and I'm thinking of drilling the fins and putting retainer springs to the exhaust collars.  Having examined  lot of on-line photos it seems many people struggle to keep the pipes nicely seated.
Thoughts on drilling the fins and putting springs on please!!
Its an ally head SR spec bitza.
Slough 59 GF/SR

Online terryg

• Resident Legend
    • thecarshipenterprise
Re: Exhaust retainer springs?
« Reply #1 on: 17.07. 2024 08:40 »
A move away from ‘standard’ might be practical but it will likely offend some people.  I would have to think very hard before drilling the head fins.

When I fitted my ex-Armours 2 into 1 the short section was a terrible fit. The solution in my case was in recognising that the end going into the exhaust port was too short. The bend was jamming on the alloy of the head before a stable fit could be achieved.

The solution I adopted was to weld an extension onto the short end using some old exhaust pipe I had.

Your issue may not be the same, I realise that.
Terry
'57 'SR', '59 SR, '63 RGS

Online limeyrob

• Resident Legend
« Reply #2 on: 17.07. 2024 14:32 »
You've hit the nail on the head, its really a question about the acceptability (or otherwise) of drilling 2 holes in the fins on an otherwise unmolested head.  *conf*
I feel sure it would be neat fix (unless I make a dogs' of it) but I can't bring myself to do it.
Slough 59 GF/SR

Offline Kickaha

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #3 on: 17.07. 2024 20:11 »
I intend to do it on my one, I'm not worried about originality or what others may think, not hard to fix a hole drilled in a fin if at some stage in the future it needs to be made original

If someone is offended by it, that is their problem not yours
1956 BSA Gold Flash
New Zealand

Offline Klaus

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #4 on: 18.07. 2024 07:42 »
Hello limeyrob,
if you can fit the pipes easy and the ts pipe comes loose try it with HT Silicone.
I have "glued" my pipes with it and it worked fine. Please use transparent or black HT silicone.
The red one is apain to clean it.
No more airleakes at the pipes.

chees Klaus

If you think, everything is under control, you are not fast enought.

BSA DB34 Goldstar, BSA A10 Road Rocked, BSA A7 Shooting Star, BSA M33, BSA M24, Kawa W650