Author Topic: power steering  (Read 191 times)

Offline RDfella

• Wise & Enlightened
power steering
« on: 09.07. 2024 17:14 »
Owned my MK4 Cortina since new, and have for the past few years been wishing it had PAS. Guess I'm getting used to modern stuff now ....
The only ones that had PAS - as far as I know - were the 2.3, meaning PAS's are rarer than rocking horse manure. So, given there's no chance of finding one, I relied on information from clubs that a Sierra one would fit. Afraid not - the ball joint to ball joint length is 27 1/2 inches, whereas the Sierra's is 29 (equals plenty bump steer). Undaunted, I tried the rack to see if it would fit, and it will. So, as I'm currently waiting on a couple of castings (timing cover / primary inner) for the vee twin, I've started modifying the rack. Have shortened the rack itself, and now ready to shorten the tube. Have cut off the N/S mounting in readiness.
On another subject, it's early July, and I'm having to use my sitting room fire. So much for global warming!
'49 B31, '49 M21, '53 DOT, '58 Flash, '62 Flash special, '00 Firestorm, Weslake sprint bike.

Online berger

• Wise & Enlightened
  • keith.uk 500sscafe.norbsa JDM honda 750fz
Re: power steering
« Reply #1 on: 09.07. 2024 19:52 »
power steering ?????? Christine the combo has wrecked her steering, steering wheel turns but wheels don't . RD love the fire reminds me of my grandads . *beer* *loveit*

Offline chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: power steering
« Reply #2 on: 09.07. 2024 23:33 »
Hi RD
So my Dear Mrs could cope with the heavy steering on our MGB I bought a DIY electric power steering kit
It is grafted into the steering column and I think it uses a Nissan motor unit?
It took a bit of work to make brackets and so on and I improved on the sellers design by fitting a bearing with a spherical outer race where it goes through the floor.
Back 20 or so years ago I picked up a very nice Honda Civic hatchback from a work colleague, it had manual steering, I went to a breakers and got them to strip out every part from of the power steering from a more up market model. it was a nice weekend project fit it all except the usual Honda problem of trying to open the crankshaft pulley nut  *eek* It took a 3/4in. air impact to loosen it

John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)