Author Topic: sludge trap tube  (Read 276 times)

Online David Tinsley

• A's Good Friend
sludge trap tube
« on: 05.07. 2024 19:41 »
1955 A10 GF SA

am I correct in that there is no sludge trap tube that needs removing, just a through passage? My experience is with unit twins where there was a thin metal tube that had to be removed with something like a tap .It was secured through the flywheel with a bolt that had a locating pip on the end. My crank does not have that hole in the crank and I cannot see evidence of a tube, neither does the parts book show one. I have not completely cleared out the sludge yet (yes, it was pretty full) but just wanted to know what is ahead of me.
Thanks

1955 A10 Golden Flash

Online limeyrob

• Resident Legend
Re: sludge trap tube
« Reply #1 on: 05.07. 2024 20:22 »
I think the small journal crank does not have a tube, only the large journal.  The tube is retained by one of the 3 radial bolts, which of course your crank does not have.
Slough 59 GF/SR

Online David Tinsley

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #2 on: 05.07. 2024 20:29 »
Thanks, I thought as much, just wanted to confirm. I have yet to dig out the crud that is in there, probably part of the reason both big ends and timing side bush and associated crank journal a buggered. I see a large bill from the machinist in my future, but it will be done once and done right.

1955 A10 Golden Flash

Offline chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 05.07. 2024 20:49 »
Hi All.
A long time ago I came up with a method of removing the sludge tube without damaging them
Recently I saw on "Britbike where one of the contributors came up with the same idea but "maybe" a little more refined  *????*
My version consists of a 4in. length of threaded bar with nut and washer, it is drilled across near one end 1/4in.
The second part is a piece of 6mm round bar 16-17mm long (11/16)
Remove the end plug and radial bolt, poke out enough crud until the 1/2in threaded bar will slide inside the tube, line up the cross drilled hole with the radial bolt hole then drop the piece of 6mm bar into the hole and push it all the way down, now tighten the nut washer against the crank web pulling out the tube undamaged *smile*
This took longer to type than making the "tool"  *ex*
On the "Britbike" version the cross hole is tapped and the pin is screwed in

John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Online David Tinsley

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #4 on: 05.07. 2024 21:13 »
That is the arrangement I recall from doing an A65. It appears I do not have a tube to remove in my 55 A10, which suits me fine!
I used to use a tap to just get enough of a purchase on that tube and then rig up some kind of slide arrangement to remove it, always worked for me

1955 A10 Golden Flash

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 15.07. 2024 10:31 »
There was no tube in my 1955 semi-unit lump plunger framed bike.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash