Author Topic: WTB - side stand for a 55 A10 GF SA  (Read 402 times)

Online David Tinsley

• A's Good Friend
WTB - side stand for a 55 A10 GF SA
« on: 05.07. 2024 14:58 »
I am looking for a side stand for a 1955 A10 golden flash swing arm if anyone has one to sell

1955 A10 Golden Flash

Offline chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: WTB - side stand for a 55 A10 GF SA
« Reply #1 on: 05.07. 2024 21:02 »
Hi David,
Does the frame on your A10 have the side stand lug on the frame?
I recently bought a UK made side stand from Kiddiminster Motorcycles, It looks to be good quality but there are a few detail differences from an original BSA stand  :!
You might think that for £155 that they would fit the correct style return spring but not so *sad2*
It does not come with the frame half lug so I am making one *work*

John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Online David Tinsley

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #2 on: 05.07. 2024 21:19 »
Yes, my a10 still has the half lug on the frame. The clamp on one i got from Draganfly has a slightly different dimension so that is why I am looking for an original. I dont have the equipment to make one that is strong enough

1955 A10 Golden Flash

Online jhg1958

• Valued Contributor
  • The more I learn I realise how little I know
« Reply #3 on: 06.07. 2024 07:29 »
I bought one for my GF. It bolts on the bracket welded onto the frame.  When fitted it grounded on left hand turns.  I bought one from eBay but decided to modify the one I bought.

So do you need the bracket as well as the arm?
Prop stand 42-4765
Half bracket 42-4776
Spring 42-4742
Pivot bolt 42-4793

This cost me £130 from Burton Bike Bits

One problem I found after I had the frame powder coated was that one of the threads on the frame bracket had stripped. Too late to do a repair.

John
1961 Golden Flash S/Arm

Online limeyrob

• Resident Legend
« Reply #4 on: 06.07. 2024 10:22 »
I don't recall ever seeing one that hasn't got at least one thread drilled out and a bolt through with a nut. Mine is certainly like that.
Slough 59 GF/SR

Offline Jim S

• Active
« Reply #5 on: 24.07. 2024 23:34 »
David

Did you sort out your side stand problem? I am asking because I also have the original side stand half lug welded or brazed to the frame. The rest of the side stand is less than satisfactory but I have been using it because I could only find stands that appeared to be similar to the one that came with the bike when I bought it.
My main concern is the bike leans over too far when on the side stand. I had been carrying a block of wood to use when I parked but now I have a 1.25 Inch block of aluminum  bolted to the foot of the stand. It doesn't look nice but it reduces the stress on the stand leg.
Let us know if you have found a supplier or have determined a better solution.

Jim

Online David Tinsley

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #6 on: 24.07. 2024 23:53 »
David

Did you sort out your side stand problem? I am asking because I also have the original side stand half lug welded or brazed to the frame. The rest of the side stand is less than satisfactory but I have been using it because I could only find stands that appeared to be similar to the one that came with the bike when I bought it.
My main concern is the bike leans over too far when on the side stand. I had been carrying a block of wood to use when I parked but now I have a 1.25 Inch block of aluminum  bolted to the foot of the stand. It doesn't look nice but it reduces the stress on the stand leg.
Let us know if you have found a supplier or have determined a better solution.

Jim

Jim,

I am currently in the process of figuring out a solution. I have the after market clamp on stand from Draganfly but the lug on the replacement stand does not match the holes on the lug on the frame. I was not happy with just clamping the new stand to the frame rail as it can too easily rotate if the securing bolts loosen.  I intend to attach the  stand to the existing frame half lug by drilling out the clamp on half lug to match the the half lug on the frame and hoping that will do the job. Hopefully that will do the job. I like your idea of attaching the block to the bottom of your stand so it does not lean over as much.

David

1955 A10 Golden Flash

Online Billybream

• Resident Legend
« Reply #7 on: 25.07. 2024 08:21 »
Contact Andrew at Priory Magnetos, he has 42-4769 pattern UK manufactured stands available, I was tempted last year but managed to refurbish my original.
1960 Super Rocket, owned since 1966, back on the road 2012 after being laid up for 29yrs.

Online limeyrob

• Resident Legend
« Reply #8 on: 25.07. 2024 10:00 »
I seem to recall in the dim and distant past having to drill one of those universal stands to fit the BSA fixed lug.  Its doable but there's not much metal to spare.  You are right not to use the clamp stand, they always rotate, even if you do them up tight enough to crush the frame tube.
Slough 59 GF/SR

Offline Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #9 on: 25.07. 2024 11:15 »
I got one from Priory magnetos  lovely job no messy right on even came with the bolts works well and I'm well pleased
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Online limeyrob

• Resident Legend
« Reply #10 on: 25.07. 2024 11:39 »
I should add that I recently had the same problem on a Matchless. Side stand missing and new ones (UK made) £120 so I wasted money on 2 made in India stands that didn't fit, faffed about trying to modify things then bought the £120 one and its a perfect fit straight out the box. It was worth every penny.  When will   I learn. *problem*
Slough 59 GF/SR