Author Topic: rocker feed banjo fitting  (Read 311 times)

Offline DaveHe

• New
rocker feed banjo fitting
« on: 25.06. 2024 13:53 »
Hi, new on here and new to English bikes (I managed to get my hands on my dad's old bike). Bsa golden flash 1954 , the  rocker feed banjo was leaking oil but when trying to tighten its just spinning so removed the other side and the (bush/insert) is coming with it. Is this all part of the rocker arm or is it a separate bush please ? Got me worried.  *????*.
Many thanks in advance
54 GF

Online limeyrob

• Resident Legend
Re: rocker feed banjo fitting
« Reply #1 on: 25.06. 2024 14:56 »
That sounds like the rocker spindle is loose and turning.  check the acorn nut on the other end is tight first.  Then make sure the seal washer is under the banjo so the tread doesn't bottom out.
Have a look on the Draganfly web page as they have the parts diagrams.
Slough 59 GF/SR

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #2 on: 25.06. 2024 20:52 »
G'day Dave  *welcome*
As Rob said spindle turning. This can be a bitch trying to nip up the acorn nut. The spindle has a step so the nut locks it in place. In the past I have made a bolt & nut to screw inplace of the banjo bolt, screw bolt in then tighten the nut against the spindle. Hold the bolt and tighten the acorn nut.
1/4" BSP dowty washer behind the banjo works well.
Cheers
ps: now go to Intro's and give us your story.
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Online Joolstacho

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 26.06. 2024 00:08 »
I've had that problem too. The banjo bolt doesn't need to be (and shouldn't be) overtightened, with the dowty washer, just a gentle 'nip' should be enough.

Offline Swarfcut

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 26.06. 2024 08:38 »
   Undoing the Acorn nut should simply reveal the threaded end of the rocker spindle. This thread and the part of the shaft passing through the rockerbox casting is a reduced diameter than the rest of the shaft. Inside the box a supporting washer prevents the rocker shaft moving towards the acorn nut, having a smaller central hole to match the threaded diameter. A clean thread, no crap in the blind acorn nut to prevent bottoming and correct assembly of the rocker shaft, washers etc should secure the shaft. An additional sealing washer under the acorn nut may be required...the curse of aftermarket and abused parts.

Musky's trick is the way to go if it's still a struggle. CEI nut and bolt required.

Do not attempt to remove rocker spindles while the rockerbox is still on the engine. The spacer washers will drop down into the pushrod tunnel. Warming the alloy casting with a heat gun makes bench removal of the spindles a little easier.

Swarfy.

Online limeyrob

• Resident Legend
« Reply #5 on: 28.06. 2024 09:55 »
You've reminded me, I got a box of assorted copper washers, very handy for jobs like this where you can put one under the acorn nut if its not nipping up.
Slough 59 GF/SR

Online Rex

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 28.06. 2024 12:48 »
Just anneal the little sods first though!