Author Topic: Gear Box Mounting  (Read 292 times)

Offline Russ

• Valued Contributor
Gear Box Mounting
« on: 24.06. 2024 00:28 »
Swarfy has just informed me that the early A10 gear box had two threaded spigots for the lower mounting. When mounting mine I had to insert a spacer so the gear box sat on the frame. The attached photo shows my gear box when I first got it. The threads have since been repaired.
Do you think mine had the spigots which have been worn or ground down.
1951 A10 Plunger.
Australia

Offline Swarfcut

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: Gear Box Mounting
« Reply #1 on: 24.06. 2024 09:35 »
 That picture looks like a later type casting which has been ground down with  two non standard thread inserts in evidence. On a couple of boxes to hand, the flat face of the mounting is near as dammit level with the lowest point on the gearbox shell underside....you can estimate how much is missing. With this amended, good chance footrest mount will be fine.

Top Picture...early box, sandcast texture, mountings stand proud.

Middle Picture Later die cast finish ? mounting bosses have a flared web to the underside of the shell.

Dimensionally they are identical and interchange over all model years.

Finally mounting height compared to shell underside.

Swarfy.

Offline Russ

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #2 on: 24.06. 2024 10:04 »
Thanks Swarfy, now you've got me thinking. I will check to see if I have any room to move with the top mounting bolt. If there is I will fit a thicker spacer under the two lower bolts.
Will I run in to any problems doing this. There's not much room above the carby for example.

Russ
1951 A10 Plunger.
Australia

Offline Swarfcut

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 24.06. 2024 10:11 »
 The box can only move as high as the top gearbox mount will allow, so this should be fine.  Standard carb for a plunger bike is the AMAL 276, identified by the separate float chamber. Popular conversion was the 376 Monobloc, however this sits slightly higher in the frame, the control cables exit at a tight bend. Could be you have the wrong carb if space is an issue. It's a bit tight around there anyway.

Swarfy.

Offline Russ

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #4 on: 24.06. 2024 10:23 »
Yes I will check the top bolt just in case I can gain a bit. I have the 276 carby and know its a tight fit anyway so that is why I mentioned it.
I will get back to it in a couple of days with refreshed enthusiasm.
Cheers Russ
1951 A10 Plunger.
Australia

Online limeyrob

• Resident Legend
« Reply #5 on: 24.06. 2024 10:58 »
Its possible to re-purpose the mountain bike brake "noodles" to work as 90 deg cable bends on an Amal.  You can also get cable "bends", search under Delorto cable elbow, you may have to tweek the tread.
Slough 59 GF/SR

Online Rex

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 24.06. 2024 13:01 »
Or steal them from any old japanese throttle cable.
I have a Premier on mine and it all (bar an air filter!) fits snugly.