Author Topic: Removing th sludge trap tube  (Read 202 times)

Offline spottycat

• Moving Up
Removing th sludge trap tube
« on: 22.06. 2024 10:18 »
Hi - Just a quickie. I have eventually managed to remove both end plugs to access the sludge trap on my 61 A10.  I have also removed the central bolt. I was going to try to use a drift to knock it out. Can it go in either direction or is there a preferred way to do this. BTW it is 100% blocked with sludge!  Cheers, Chris
61 A10

Online limeyrob

• Resident Legend
Re: Removing th sludge trap tube
« Reply #1 on: 22.06. 2024 12:29 »
One end is flared out, the end with the plain plug, its easier if you get that end out first as the rest of the tube is smaller dia.  Expect to destroy it in the process, the sludge can be like concrete and the tube is thin so I had to collapse my tube to get it out.
Slough 59 GF/SR

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 22.06. 2024 17:00 »
So very satisfying cleaning that crud out of the engine  *smile*
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline spottycat

• Moving Up
« Reply #3 on: 22.06. 2024 21:20 »
One end is flared out, the end with the plain plug, its easier if you get that end out first as the rest of the tube is smaller dia.  Expect to destroy it in the process, the sludge can be like concrete and the tube is thin so I had to collapse my tube to get it out.

Thanks Limey. I knew one end was flared but wasn't sure which. I eventually found a pic online which made it obvious but thanks for your reply. Came out nice and easy, which was a bonus as removing the plugs was a nightmare. I don't think any oil could have passed through. 62 years of sludge in their, I think. Thanks for your input. Chris
61 A10