Author Topic: Engineering workshop recommendations  (Read 372 times)

Offline spottycat

• Moving Up
Engineering workshop recommendations
« on: 07.06. 2024 09:17 »
Hi - Seeking recommendations for a BSA experienced engineer to do some work to my 1961 A10. I am very capable and can't afford to hand the whole project over so have stripped the engine but I clearly need  a few jobs doing for which I don't have the kit or experience. I need a new timing side bush that will need to be accurately line-bored. New valve guides, which I could replace myself but don't have the kit for cutting of new valve seats - plus a few other things as I explore further, no doubt! I am in Gloucestershire but am sure I will need to travel to find the right engineering shop. Any suggestions? Cheers, Chris
61 A10

Online limeyrob

• Resident Legend
Re: Engineering workshop recommendations
« Reply #1 on: 07.06. 2024 09:30 »
Over the past couple of months I've rebuilt my (basket case) A10.  It needed a crank grind, timing bush hone, oversize guide (ally head) and guides honed and seats re-cut.  This sounds pretty much what you need.  I did the sludge trap myself.
The bottom end machining was about £220 and the head under £200.  The assembly is straight forward and the BSA service sheets cover it.  The challenges were getting parts, some undersizes are hard to find and the oversize guides were only available as "blanks" that needed turning to fit but the machine shop did all that.  I got the "blank" TS bush and had the crank ground to -15 and the bush bored to suit.
So my advice is if you know waht you are doing plan it out and then go to a few (there are only a few) engine machine shops and see who gets what you want and is reasonable.  I used Classic and Modern Engines in Bracknell, I'm sure you have places nearer to Gloucester.
Save the ally head valve collets, remarkably hard to get replacements.
The end float shimming is tricky, but there's lots of advice on here and a cheap dial gauge is all you need.
If you can its better to take you time and do all the build yourself and only farm out the machining.
Slough 59 GF/SR

Offline spottycat

• Moving Up
« Reply #2 on: 07.06. 2024 09:38 »
Limeyrob,

Thanks. You have done exactly as I plan. Like you, there are just some jobs which I can't do or it just isn't worth buying the kit to use just once. I am assuming that you are happy with the work done by Classic and Modern Engines so thanks for the recommendation. I don't mind a bit of travel to deliver the bits if I know it's a recommended shop. I too have done my own sludge trap and will take my time to do all the jobs I can myself. I notice that one of the small end bearings is loose in the conrod. People on here have suggested new rods but wondered if an oversize bearing machined down to fit might be a cheaper possibility.  I have to make sure my budget doesn't spiral out of control! Thanks, Limey
61 A10

Online limeyrob

• Resident Legend
« Reply #3 on: 07.06. 2024 10:47 »
You could take the rod to the machine shop and ask. My preference would be to get a good used rod -, they come up on e-bay now and then. The eye is oversize and you hope its worn but it could be stretched.
Slough 59 GF/SR

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #4 on: 07.06. 2024 20:58 »
G'day Spotty.
Another recommendation https://www.a7a10.net/forum/index.php?topic=19012.0
+1 for getting new little end bush's made. First make the rod hole round again then bush made to fit. Final hone to size after installed in the rod.
I made eccentric bushes for my A7SS racer to use very high top pistons and not close the spark plug gap *ex*
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline spottycat

• Moving Up
« Reply #5 on: 07.06. 2024 22:58 »
Cheers Muskrat. It is great to have a forum of people with specific A10 knowledge to advise me. My last project was a 2CV that I was given free as a pile of rust and has just taken me and my wife on a 4500 mile tour of the Balkans and back. I know I have specific knowledge to glean about the A10 but once done she will be taking me on adventures too. Thanks everyone for advice (This might not be my last question :) Chris
61 A10

Offline bikerjohndavies

• John Davies, Bath, UK
  • Valued Contributor
  • 1953 BSA A10 Super Flash
« Reply #6 on: 08.06. 2024 09:25 »
There is Hamlins Engineering in Bridgewater. I have not used them myself yet but have heard that they do a good job from other forum members.

https://hamlinsengineering.co.uk/services/veteran-vintage-and-classic/
1931 Ariel VB31, 1935 Triumph 5/3 project, 1946 Ariel Square 4, 1952 Norton Model 7, 1953 BSA A10 Super Flash, 1954 Ariel VH

Offline bikerboy

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #7 on: 25.06. 2024 15:32 »
I believe SRM do oversize small end bushes, small journal or big journal?

BSA A10 x 4
BSA A65 Lightning
Triumph T150v
Tribsa (A10 frame 750 Bonnie motor)

Offline bikerboy

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #8 on: 25.06. 2024 15:34 »
Oops 1961 is biig journal but who knows what has been fitted to some of these bikes. My 1952 plunger is totally Suer Rocket spec internally

BSA A10 x 4
BSA A65 Lightning
Triumph T150v
Tribsa (A10 frame 750 Bonnie motor)