Author Topic: Fuel issues  (Read 1467 times)

Online CheeserBeezer

• Valued Contributor
    • Priory Magnetos Ltd
Fuel issues
« on: 05.06. 2024 07:53 »
Just wondering if anybody has experienced fuel problems recently? I took the RGS replica out a couple of weeks ago, After a ten mile run I stopped the bike at the pub. When I came to restart, it wouldn't go. I changed the plugs and the bike started first kick. Same problem when I got home. Whilst messing about with fuel tanks I transferred the fuel into one of my other bikes. After about 50 miles same problem with other bike. I've had a couple of customers and a couple of friends saying they've had the same problem and, understandably, have blamed the mag. However, after changing the plugs and fuel the problem goes away. My theory is that an aggressive cleaning agent in the fuel is transferring conductive deposits, possibly from a rusty fuel tank, onto the spark plug so the spark is tracking down the nose of the plug. I have always used Shell V-power, but have just changed to Esso and had no problems since. A friend of a friend had similar problems with Morrisons fuel. The V-power thing may just be a coincidence or there may have been a bad batch. Just wondering if others have encountered similar. I noticed that the local Shell station advertises the fact that the fuel has improved cleaning power, so I'm assuming the formula has changed. Having said that, the Esso station advertises the same but maybe their cleaning agent is different. Can anybody else throw some light on this? Gone are the days when petrol was just petrol!

Online limeyrob

• Resident Legend
Re: Fuel issues
« Reply #1 on: 05.06. 2024 08:16 »
That's an interesting theory and you may well be right.  I never buy premium or branded fuel, I used to work in the industry and the companies try hard to promote branded and premium fuels as a way to get a better margin, and this leads them to search for ways to make their fuel "different" or "unique".  There  aren't a lot of ways to do this, the only thing we really want is more octane and that's not on offer.  So they sell a fear - for example dirty fuel systems, and sell a solution - a fuel that cleans, but this will be aimed at and tested on new cars, I doubt its been tested on old motorcycles.
Slough 59 GF/SR

Online terryg

• Resident Legend
    • thecarshipenterprise
« Reply #2 on: 05.06. 2024 14:38 »
Interesting!
Many products we buy, food in particular of course, are labelled with an ‘ingredients’ list.  Commercial confidentiality notwithstanding perhaps it’s time for the same requirement for the practically universally available chemicals we buy, namely petrol and diesel.
If I buy ‘proper’ chemicals it’s not unreasonable to expect them to come with analyses assuring me that I’m getting exactly what I order.
Terry
'57 'SR', '59 SR, '63 RGS

Offline chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 05.06. 2024 16:13 »
Hi All
Not as bad as CB's example but for the past several years my SR has done the same on occasion,
The plugs seen to last maybe 500 to 1000 miles depending on use.
Stop the bike and leave it  while you refill the bike or yourself and no start until I change the plugs.
If the bike cuts out or stalls it normally starts up ok

John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Online berger

• Wise & Enlightened
  • keith.uk 500sscafe.norbsa JDM honda 750fz
« Reply #4 on: 05.06. 2024 20:39 »
NOTHING and i mean NOTHING is as it used to be or even should be, i got hold of some INDUSTRIAL strength caustic soda and now i find out it is nothing like as strong as the stuff i worked with 40 years ago. i just bought some weed killer and it does not kill weeds, i bought paint stripper and it does not strip paint like it did 40 years ago when i had to get out of the way of the fumes. everything is useless but it keeps the MONEY!!!!!! going round . has anyone noticed the whole job is kaputt. i put 200mill of E10 in a jug and washed a few bits in it , i left it open in the shed for 2 days and the level hadn't gone down because it had sucked in all the water . i could have thrown a lighted match in it and it would have gone out. years ago when petrol was PETROL if you spilled a bit on the hot cylinder head or exhaust you were on FIRE!

Online Triton Thrasher

• Scotland
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 05.06. 2024 21:04 »
NOTHING and i mean NOTHING is as it used to be

It never was.

Online BSA500

• Resident Legend
  • Tonbridge,Kent,UK
« Reply #6 on: 06.06. 2024 13:36 »
Well I had this experience. Just rebuilt the bike and was just starting her up to get the settings sorted. I had changed the carb and built it up using a reconditioned carb(polished it seems). Anyhow she would start but ran rough and fuel was a little old E10 supermarket. Long story short, drained out fuel,mucky with some water, ultrasonic cleaned carb mucky with polish residues. Got myself some V power, you know high octane super sexy fuel for the SS. Engine dead, plenty of sparks on the plugs but no start nothing, closed the gaps down,starts, hold the bared lead 1/4 inch from the head beautiful blue spark. Mag rebuilt by CB last year. After talking to CB seems a common issue. So new plugs on the way, throw the v power into the car and bung some E1O in the bike again, as long as its fresh it seems fine

1960 A7 (57 motor to SS spec)

Offline Black Sheep

• Wise & Enlightened
    • Where black sheep live
« Reply #7 on: 07.06. 2024 07:04 »
No problems whatsoever with V power or BP ultimate. Plugs seem to last indefinitely.
2 twins, 2 singles, lots of sheep

Online groily

• Wise & Enlightened
    • www.brightsparkmagnetos.com
« Reply #8 on: 07.06. 2024 07:10 »
No problems whatsoever with V power or BP ultimate. Plugs seem to last indefinitely.
Mine too for some reason.
Bill

Online CheeserBeezer

• Valued Contributor
    • Priory Magnetos Ltd
« Reply #9 on: 07.06. 2024 17:23 »
I get the impression that there are considerable inconsistencies. Is the fuel up north the same as the fuel down south?

Offline Catz

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #10 on: 07.06. 2024 17:41 »
I don't do the miles you do mate but i always use Esso Synergy E5 without any problems. I only use it because i've got a loyalty card which gives a discount.
If i do happen to need some fuel from another supplier i never fill up with E10. Is it anything to do with a 12volt ignition over a 6volt? IDK.
Crewe, Cheshire, England 1960 A10

Online limeyrob

• Resident Legend
« Reply #11 on: 07.06. 2024 17:53 »
I get the impression that there are considerable inconsistencies. Is the fuel up north the same as the fuel down south?
Not necessarily.  To cut transport costs a number of companies will share a refinery in a region.  We don't have that many refineries and they are not popular so new ones are near impossible, they tend to be where they were built before or during the war.  The supermarkets tend to share distribution sites for their own brand too.  There are long distance pipes, also left over from the war, so its not straightforward to work out whee a fuel depot is getting its refined products.  For example the fuel for Heathrow is piped from Fawley in the New Forest.  Buncefield was getting its fuel piped from Middlesbrough way.
Slough 59 GF/SR

Online berger

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #12 on: 07.06. 2024 19:29 »
what is going on??? last night i put 150ml of esso E10 in the jug and left it over night. this afternoon the jug had 100ml of something in it that didn't really smell of anything, i will check it tomorrow and see if it burns. BUT it says E10 so my question ------- is are they putting LOADS more E in it than it says on the pump?  talking of E it makes me want to go to a rave  ;) *grins*         EDIT just to add to this it looks like the 100ml that is left is ethanol , SO out of 150ml of esso E10 i have 100ml of ethanol left . i think we are being LIED to AGAIN!!

Online berger

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #13 on: 08.06. 2024 13:13 »
the result i got with the E10 from the esso garage across the road has done my head in, i am going to do two more tests , one without tetraboost and one with using 200ml of E10 .

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #14 on: 08.06. 2024 20:15 »
G'day Bergs.
I had to find out how mush water will ethanol fuels absorb. The answer is surprising.
Water in the tank will continue to be absorbed into the ethanol-blended fuel until it reaches a saturation point. With E10 fuel at 15°C, this saturation point is at approximately 0.5% water to the volume of fuel.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7