Author Topic: Slack-Tight Drive Chain Syndrome  (Read 1323 times)

Offline RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
Slack-Tight Drive Chain Syndrome
« on: 09.05. 2024 21:31 »
Probably asked before (maybe even by me), but I couldn't find a thread with reasonable searching.

Anyway, does anyone know what causes the slack-tight drive chain problem when the master link is at 9:00 o'clock at the gearbox or 3:00 o'clock on the rear sprocket? I was optimistic that I might have found the problem when I discovered (and removed) a bad offset link next to the master link, but the problem continues. Right now, the only thing I can see is the pitch at the master link is about 0.030" more than the 5/8" pitch of the chain. Could that be enough to cause the problem? If so, how does one fix it? Otherwise, is it something simple and stupid (on my part)?

Richard L.

Offline a10 gf

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF
Re: Slack-Tight Drive Chain Syndrome
« Reply #1 on: 09.05. 2024 22:26 »
imo, should only be caused by either sprockets \ axles eccentric or uneven chain wear. Or a combination of both :O)

What I'd do, test with a fresh chain \ find a way to finely look for & measure possible sprocket eccentricity (or even uneven wear depth between sprocket teeth ??)

Stand with
A10 GF '53 My A10 website
"Success only gets you a ticket to a much more difficult task"

Offline RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 09.05. 2024 22:54 »
E,

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that problems with the sprockets don't replicate at the same position on the chain every time. This said, I'll review the situation again to be sure that is what is indeed happening, but I think it is.

Richard L.

Offline Tomcat

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #3 on: 10.05. 2024 07:32 »
This is usually caused by a stretched chain. I used to keep my chains adjusted spot on and then hit a bump in the road and stretched my chain, so now I leave them as they should be or a little loose and not had the same problem again. FWIW the chain is stretched in 2 spots (not the entire chain) and that gives the loose, tight feeling. HTH
59 Super Rocket 

Online limeyrob

• Resident Legend
« Reply #4 on: 10.05. 2024 08:31 »
As A10GF says: it could be a bent shaft, a chain that's stretched or a worn sprockets.
Bent shaft is unlikely but not impossible so check that the sprockets run true.
Keep turning it and put some marks on, does it repeat with the chain or either sprocket?
Are the sprockets worn? If so the chain will ride up the teeth.  Worn links will ride up more.
If it were mine I'd run it a bit slack, set the tension for the tightest spot and run it for a while.
Slough 59 GF/SR

Offline rocker21

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #5 on: 10.05. 2024 11:49 »
throw the chain away and convert it to belt drive, end of problem and its a lot smoother as well, gets rid of the bsa clutch and has something better, got a newby system on mine, fitted it and not touched it since, no oil leaks as the primary drive runs dry.
1960 A7SS, 1954 Ariel fieldmaster 500 twin, motoguzzi Monza 500, motoguzzi V7III special, new triumph speed 400

Online groily

• Wise & Enlightened
    • www.brightsparkmagnetos.com
« Reply #6 on: 10.05. 2024 12:00 »
throw the chain away and convert it to belt drive, end of problem and its a lot smoother as well, gets rid of the bsa clutch and has something better, got a newby system on mine, fitted it and not touched it since, no oil leaks as the primary drive runs dry.
I read this as being about the rear chain.
Good for primaries, I agree. But ££$$€€  . . . I have one on one bike - but thanks to the PO, not me!
Bill

Offline RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 10.05. 2024 12:28 »

Thanks, Rocker, but the problem is in the drive chain, not the primary.

Richard L.

Online KiwiGF

• Last had an A10 in 1976, in 2011 it was time for my 2nd one. It was the project from HELL (but I learned a lot....)
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #8 on: 10.05. 2024 12:31 »
Probably asked before (maybe even by me), but I couldn't find a thread with reasonable searching.

Anyway, does anyone know what causes the slack-tight drive chain problem when the master link is at 9:00 o'clock at the gearbox or 3:00 o'clock on the rear sprocket? I was optimistic that I might have found the problem when I discovered (and removed) a bad offset link next to the master link, but the problem continues. Right now, the only thing I can see is the pitch at the master link is about 0.030" more than the 5/8" pitch of the chain. Could that be enough to cause the problem? If so, how does one fix it? Otherwise, is it something simple and stupid (on my part)?

Richard L.

Got to be worth trying a new master link?
New Zealand

1956 A10 Golden Flash  (1st finished project)
1949 B31 rigid “400cc”  (2nd finished project)
1968 B44 Victor Special (3rd finished project)
2001 GL1800 Goldwing, well, the wife likes it
2009 KTM 990 Adventure, cos it’s 100% nuts

Online berger

• Wise & Enlightened
  • keith.uk 500sscafe.norbsa JDM honda 750fz
« Reply #9 on: 10.05. 2024 13:04 »
many years ago after much headache with a very tight spot in the drive chain i managed to set up a long rod on a dial gauge down the swinging arm and as a bit of a rough guide it showed the gearbox sprocket was a bit oval when i landed the end of the rod on the each of the teeth. i stripped the bike and found out once the sprocket was in the lathe not only was it oval it also ran a mile out of line left to right. i was fuming because this was brand new from a supplier of all things bsa back in the 80's. they wouldn't change it because i had bought it years before fitting it. *bash*

Offline RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #10 on: 10.05. 2024 13:45 »

Richard L.

Got to be worth trying a new master link?

I will, it’s just that you can’t go to the corner hardware store to buy one. I’ve measured the four I have, but not seeing enough difference to matter, I think.

Richard L.

Offline RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #11 on: 10.05. 2024 13:51 »
many years ago after much headache with a very tight spot in the drive chain i managed to set up a long rod on a dial gauge down the swinging arm and as a bit of a rough guide it showed the gearbox sprocket was a bit oval when i landed the end of the rod on the each of the teeth. i stripped the bike and found out once the sprocket was in the lathe not only was it oval it also ran a mile out of line left to right. i was fuming because this was brand new from a supplier of all things bsa back in the 80's. they wouldn't change it because i had bought it years before fitting it. *bash*

Because of the same-spot-on-chain behavior, next step will be more exhaustive measurements around the master link. After that, definitely following your advice, which I’ve tried to avoid rather than disassemble the whole primary.

Richard L.

Offline RogerSB

• 1960 Golden Flash, Plymouth, Devon, England
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #12 on: 10.05. 2024 15:12 »
I agree with most on here, any or a combination can cause a chain to have more noticeable tight spots than is ‘normal’ for a chain in use.

I know all the bikes I’ve had in the past had tight spots in both primary and rear chains, well - that is except my Velocette LE (shaft driven  *smile* ). I’m sure you know this Richard, you rotate the wheel to get the tightest spot in the middle of the top run and adjust it to have 1.25” slack at that point. My point here is that the very fact that the instruction books say adjust at the tight spot is confirmation enough that it’s fairly normal.

I agree with Kiwi GF I’d change the connecting link for one of the correct pitch. 0.030” = 1/32” whether over or under the correct pitch of 5/8” it won’t be great for the sprocket teeth.

Also bergers comment about after market parts not being what they should is something to consider.  Most of us will have had traumatic experience of that.

A few years ago I bought a rear sprocket stamped 'Made in the UK' by LF Harris, along with a rubber sealed bearing for it. When I tried the bearing in the sprocket to my surprise it just fell in the hole. Assuming the bearing was imported and at fault it was a phone call and a drive to Monty's Classic Motorcycles in Cornwall. Luckily I took both the sprocket and the bearing with me. When I arrived Monty had already fitted the same type of bearing in the same type of sprocket to test it and he told me he had to press it in. I turned the sprocket I had, with bearing in hole, upside down on the counter and the bearing just dropped out. Puzzled, Monty got another bearing and tried that in my sprocket, that also was loose. It turned out the UK made stamped sprocket was the faulty part. Monty's face was a picture of disbelief, the Imported bearing - fine, UK made sprocket - not. For those who do not know LF Harris is a well known and respected supplier of classic motorcycle parts and it’s founder was Les Harris who started manufacturing Triumphs again. No doubt the parts are now sourced overseas.

1960 Golden Flash

Online berger

• Wise & Enlightened
  • keith.uk 500sscafe.norbsa JDM honda 750fz
« Reply #13 on: 10.05. 2024 15:36 »
richard i wouldn't go taking it to bits unless you very recently changed the sprockets.

Offline RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #14 on: 10.05. 2024 23:18 »
richard i wouldn't go taking it to bits unless you very recently changed the sprockets.

Changed the sprockets some time ago and I really can’t recall if the slack-tight condition changed at that point. Anyway, just checked the rear sprocket. It would be hard to convince me that +/- 0.007 (worst case) was enough to cause the significant difference in chain tension.