Author Topic: Inner gearbox cover  (Read 303 times)

Online jhg1958

• Valued Contributor
  • The more I learn I realise how little I know
Inner gearbox cover
« on: 05.05. 2024 11:28 »
I am sorting out some oil leaks on the gearbox. I have removed the outer cover.  I am trying to remove the inner cover but it is resisting. Is it possible to remove the inner cover with the gearbox in place?  If so do you have any tips to get it off?

Also I see a dirty oil mark from the gear leaver shaft.  I put a new collar in the cover but I assume the only thing I can think of at the moment is to replace the shat.  I may live with oil leak if that is the case.

John
1961 Golden Flash S/Arm

Online KiwiGF

• Last had an A10 in 1976, in 2011 it was time for my 2nd one. It was the project from HELL (but I learned a lot....)
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: Inner gearbox cover
« Reply #1 on: 05.05. 2024 12:37 »
Yes it can be removed in fact you can pretty much rebuild a gearbox other than the drive side ball bearing without removing the whole box. There are screws that hold it in place, other than outer case screws.
New Zealand

1956 A10 Golden Flash  (1st finished project)
1949 B31 rigid “400cc”  (2nd finished project)
1968 B44 Victor Special (3rd finished project)
2001 GL1800 Goldwing, well, the wife likes it
2009 KTM 990 Adventure, cos it’s 100% nuts

Offline Swarfcut

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 05.05. 2024 13:53 »
    You need to remove the kickstart ratchet assembly, and the small retaining screw adjacent to the top right casing stud. Then replace the shaft nut to protect the thread, GENTLY  tap the end of the mainshaft, while pulling the inner cover towards you. This should enable the inner cover to slide down the 4 long studs, as the mainshaft goes through the bearing inner race. The selector shaft should also slide out of the cover, but do not smack this...it will break a piece off the gear case where the tiny grubscrew lurks, behind the chain sprocket.

With that grubscrew removed, you can take out the selector shaft and strip out the box in a matter of minutes. Plenty on the forum about putting it all back!!!

Easy fix for shaft leaks is to machine a groove for an O ring. Not the best fix, but cheaper than new shafts and bushes.

Swarfy.

Additional.  If the clutch and shaft adaptor are not fitted to the mainshaft, the kickstart ratchet assembly can remain in place. The  mainshaft will slide out complete, with the cover. Those long studs are parallel when new, over time they often get flexed slightly, so the cover may bind a little as it slides off.

Thanks to Roger, a picture says more than words.

Offline RogerSB

• 1960 Golden Flash, Plymouth, Devon, England
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #3 on: 05.05. 2024 14:07 »
Picture of retaining screw.

1960 Golden Flash