Author Topic: Another Lost Skill. Making gaskets.  (Read 1397 times)

Offline Worty

• The drayman's friend!
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Procrastination is the thief of time!
Re: Another Lost Skill.
« Reply #15 on: 21.04. 2024 17:47 »
To answer Worty, the screws are the same, but from the factory 67 1711 is listed as fixing/oil level and drain, so is the mythical Red Painted Unicorn Variant part. Plain type with the ready rust finish is 67 1706.

Nut and bolt chart in the literature section of the forum gives a cross reference for part numbers to thread type in the majority of cases. Sod's law applies sometimes, the one you want is not listed.

Most important that all threads into blind holes are cleared out of muck, debris, old jointing, oil. If not screws may bottom before clamping force is achieved, or worse the hydraulic pressure cracks a weak casting.

Swarfy.

Perfect🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

A thousand thanks Rog, extremely useful!!
Current Bikes😎
Kwaka W650
'61 Flash

Past Bikes👍
'49 B31
'59 BMW R60
Yam FS1-E, YB100, RS100, RD200DX,250DX,350B, XS750
MZ250

Online berger

• Wise & Enlightened
  • keith.uk 500sscafe.norbsa JDM honda 750fz
« Reply #16 on: 21.04. 2024 20:06 »
richard , shame on you ! TUT TUT those scissors are bent for nails and you have let yourself down you black finger nail person . the ones i have came from good old sheffield made by william rodgers , i think they were my grand dads so they are now old old.

Online Rex

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #17 on: 21.04. 2024 21:17 »
I have a wad punch set for making the gasket holes, but prior to that I used the trick my old dad showed me, namely a nut placed underneath the gasket material under the hole marking and a next-size-up bolt on top. Even better if you slightly round off the bolt end first to get a nice even cut.

Offline Joolstacho

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: Another Lost Skill. Making gaskets.
« Reply #18 on: 21.04. 2024 23:40 »
If you have a Model shop near you (thin on the ground nowadays) they'll usually have thin-walled 'K & S' brass tubing, -easily sharpened to make excellent hole cutters.

Offline Macbeth

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #19 on: 22.04. 2024 00:35 »
We used to get our eng military billets almost solely based on if we could sharpen a 1/32 drill bit. As young fellas if we couldn’t support maintaining the tradesmens tools / work support etc (which included endless gaskets) - then no one wanted you….still get made fun of for only using pencils at work & for polishing my boots every single night 🤣

1960 Big Valve Super Rocket

Online limeyrob

• Resident Legend
« Reply #20 on: 22.04. 2024 07:57 »
I use a leather punch to make the holes then cut the gasket.  I've learned the hard way not to leave the holes to last!
Slough 59 GF/SR

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #21 on: 22.04. 2024 09:30 »
G'day Rob.
Yes holes first then inner and outer last.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #22 on: 22.04. 2024 17:46 »
G'day Rob.
Yes holes first then inner and outer last.
Cheers

I can see that.

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #23 on: 22.04. 2024 17:58 »
richard , shame on you ! TUT TUT those scissors are bent for nails and you have let yourself down you black finger nail person . the ones i have came from good old sheffield made by william rodgers , i think they were my grand dads so they are now old old.

Bergs,

Hey, I  wouldn’t argue that scissors are better for holes than punches, but if one (like me) has to use scissors, the small nail clipper does a decent job for small holes. Your classic (scissors, that is) looks much larger.

Regarding black finger nails, it’s the norm, just not when I’m working as a high-fashion hand model.  *whistle*   *beer*

Richard L.

Online Sakura

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #24 on: 22.04. 2024 18:11 »
Making gaskets.....

Back in the day, and even now, I have no hesitation to make a gasket from whatever is to hand, Cereal packet card is good, as is 6 pack card. My dad showed me how to tap the card against the sharp edge of the casting, producing a perfect cut and a good copy of the genuine article. I was gobsmacked by this make do and mend philosophy, how simple and convenient it was, and used stuff to hand. That was a long time ago.

These days I don't attempt to cut out bolt holes with a drill or blade, but instead tap the dome head of a coach bolt into the card over the hole. Put the bolt in the hole to keep the card in place and tap round the casting with the narrow end of a carpenter's hammer and see your Corn Flake gasket emerge in all its glory.

The cost of a full set of gaskets these days is poor value, so for the odd gasket make your own. Hylomar is still my jointing of choice, but bathroom silicone used sparingly is also OK in the right place.

I doubt whether many folks make their own now, so another skill to be lost.

Swarfy.

A note of caution! Not all silicones are the same. The ones with acetic acid (the vinegary smell) are corrosive. Just look at a silicone gun. Personally I only use the gasket specific silicone but each to their own.
63 RGS

Offline Worty

• The drayman's friend!
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #25 on: 22.04. 2024 18:21 »
I cheated.  Managed to get a nitrile primary cover gasket (1.6mm thick) off Fleabay for £7.70 which is a bit cheaper than the paper ones on there.  Nitrile bonded cork for the size I needed was about £12 - primary cover is roughly 45cm long and about 25cm high I think.  Having said that, I may buy a smaller size sheet and cut out some washers for the fuel tap and primary cover drain plug.  I reckon the sump plate would also benefit from a thicker gasket.

Need to be careful with nitrile washers for fuel as it degrades it - nitrile bonded cork seems ok though.

Comments welcome, don't shoot me down in flames guys. *eek* *beer* *beer* *beer*
Current Bikes😎
Kwaka W650
'61 Flash

Past Bikes👍
'49 B31
'59 BMW R60
MZ250

Online limeyrob

• Resident Legend
« Reply #26 on: 22.04. 2024 20:16 »
We should digitize the gaskets and get them laser cut.  The hard work is the digitizing but after that the gaskets are easy with the right kit (which I don't have).  I do make my own gaskets by hand, but I'f i could press a button and cut a chaincase gasket or timing cover i would.
Slough 59 GF/SR

Offline Jules

• Resident Legend
  • 1956 A10 s/arm Golden Flash
« Reply #27 on: 26.04. 2024 13:42 »
Worty, you are right nitrile and petrol these days dont mix, the petrol eats into and swells the rubber then the rubber effectively melts away, anything that touches petrol now needs to be viton (seals) or flouro lined tubing.
Unleaded fuel was bad and now ethanol added, its even worse for fuel systems...

Offline Worty

• The drayman's friend!
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #28 on: 26.04. 2024 13:53 »
Worty, you are right nitrile and petrol these days dont mix, the petrol eats into and swells the rubber then the rubber effectively melts away, anything that touches petrol now needs to be viton (seals) or flouro lined tubing.
Unleaded fuel was bad and now ethanol added, its even worse for fuel systems...

Now I'm asking the question, will the nitrile part of the nitrile bonded cork deteriorate?  *dunno2*  The sheet was sold as fuel and oil resistent.
Current Bikes😎
Kwaka W650
'61 Flash

Past Bikes👍
'49 B31
'59 BMW R60
MZ250

Offline Lone Wolf

• Moving Up
« Reply #29 on: 27.04. 2024 11:56 »
Wotcha.

Although aimed at the "arts and craft" market - THIS THING does a good job of gasket making too.
West Midlands 62 SR