Author Topic: Another Lost Skill. Making gaskets.  (Read 1400 times)

Online limeyrob

• Resident Legend
Re: Another Lost Skill. Making gaskets.
« Reply #30 on: 27.04. 2024 15:07 »
I like that, looks interesting!  I wonder if you could scan a cover to get the shape?
I was putting Hylomar on a joint last week and getting as much on me as the joint face, there must be a better way.
Slough 59 GF/SR

Online Angus

• Suffolk, UK
  • Resident Legend
  • The A7
« Reply #31 on: 27.04. 2024 21:07 »
I have seen those cutters including the Brother Scan and cut and thought they could be good for cutting out gaskets. I think I found that the cost of the device and the paper would make them quite expensive compared to those bought. I am fairly local to Draganfly and so can go and get them when required and they have been pretty good.
1961 A7 since 1976, 1960 A10 Gold Flash Super Profile Bike
1958 Matchless G80 Project, 1952 Norton Model 7 Plunger
1950 Triumph T100, 1981 Ducati Pantah 500, 1959 AJS model 20

Offline Jules

• Resident Legend
  • 1956 A10 s/arm Golden Flash
« Reply #32 on: 29.04. 2024 02:04 »
Worty, you are right nitrile and petrol these days dont mix, the petrol eats into and swells the rubber then the rubber effectively melts away, anything that touches petrol now needs to be viton (seals) or flouro lined tubing.
Unleaded fuel was bad and now ethanol added, its even worse for fuel systems...

Now I'm asking the question, will the nitrile part of the nitrile bonded cork deteriorate?  *dunno2*  The sheet was sold as fuel and oil resistent.
Worty, I cant tell you if the product you have is any good or not for gaskets, I would think that it would be fine in that situation, but dont know. What I do know from my Ford eng'g days, was that when ULP was introduced we had to upgrade all our fuel lines and gaskets that were in contact with petrol, then upgrade more when Ethanol fuels were introduced - viton was the only solution for O rings used in taps and valves though....
Also, what I do know from personal experience with ethanol fuel inadvertantly used on my  (chinese made, Honda copy) generator, is that it expanded the seals in the fuel tap and locked them closed. I had to remove the fuel tank and pipes and clear the ethanol fuel, then replace the tap and lines, all good since   :!
NB it does say in the handbook NOT to use ethanol fuels, when I read it to see what could have happened  *sad2*

Online limeyrob

• Resident Legend
« Reply #33 on: 29.04. 2024 08:16 »
The trouble is its hard to avoid. Its in diesel too but not so publicized.  All the seals in my CAV injector pump went hard and it leaked like a sieve.  Some years ago I converted a car to run on vegetable oil. It's very chemically aggressive despite being a food stuff and dissolves all sorts of things, it even attacks copper.  There's this idea that because it comes from a plant its benign, not so.
Slough 59 GF/SR

Online Rex

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #34 on: 29.04. 2024 10:12 »
And last week the Amal premier on my A7 was leaking like a sieve. Turns out the pipe banjo fitting is sealed with a thin rubber washer. Or was, as the fuel had destroyed it.
A good old traditional Amal red fibre washer soon sorted it.

Offline Lone Wolf

• Moving Up
« Reply #35 on: 08.05. 2024 11:57 »
I like that, looks interesting!  I wonder if you could scan a cover to get the shape?

Wotcha.

Yes you can scan things.
If you have a gasket set, just scan those.
The only one that is tricky is the primary side gasket - you need an A3 scanner.
West Midlands 62 SR