Author Topic: Metal on metal Knocking when trying to kick over after changing rocker gaskets  (Read 992 times)

Offline Jlad

• Active
Forgive me As I am a novice with classic bikes so any help would be greatly appreciated. I have recently bought a 1959 shooting star which started and ran perfectly but was leaking allot of oil from the rocker gaskets and primary chaincase. I decided to buy a Haynes manual and change the gaskets myself which all seemed to go well but when I had put it all back together I have it a kick and a metal on metal type knock every time i kicked. Could this be the rods hitting the covers ? Im sure I got them in the caps but I know from reading they are fiddly. Any advice would be great as I can't seem to find any suggestions online.

Online limeyrob

• Resident Legend
Since you only changed gaskets assume a push rod is out of place.  Undo all the nuts and lift the rocker box, see if you can poke the offending rod into place.  Do you have a push rod comb, if not get one they don't cost a lot.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/393567265074?gad_source=1&mkevt=1&mkcid=1&mkrid=710-53481-19255-0&campid=5338723872&toolid=20006&customid=KC3dsbAdAAAAHKISmxIapG3SchEOAAAAAA
Slough 59 GF/SR

Offline a10 gf

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF

Stand with
A10 GF '53 My A10 website
"Success only gets you a ticket to a much more difficult task"

Offline Jlad

• Active
Thank you I have ordered one so fingers crossed

Offline Billybream

• Resident Legend
If you have nimble fingers, that's a great help when fitting the rocker box, a small torch is useful as well, the comb will be assist, but it's best clamped somehow or held by an assistant. One of the challenges on our BSA,s, but sometimes so easy, best also to back the tappet adjusters off.
1960 Super Rocket, owned since 1966, back on the road 2012 after being laid up for 29yrs.

Offline Swarfcut

• Wise & Enlightened
 Sometimes when lifting the rocker box, one of the pushrods sticks in the rocker arm, before dropping back down the pushrod tunnel and ending up on the rim of the follower, not down in the centre where it should be.

Best to start again from the beginning.....Pushrods out, check each for straightness and bow by rolling on a flat surface, then replace in their original positions with a dab of grease to hold them in place. Exhaust ones are longer, these are the two centre ones.

With the plugs removed you could try kicking over before you take the rocker box off, this time without the tappet covers on. Listen for the noise, it may have already been there but not noticed. Look for a rocker adjuster witness mark on one of the covers, this is a clue to a mis placed pushrod. Don't forget you have to readjust the tappets anyway, as the thickness of the gaskets positions the rocker arms in relation to the valves and camshaft.

Allow plenty of time for this job, well worth reading how other folks do it. The pushrod comb, torches, rubber bands, dental mirrors, wire hooks, witchcraft, faith, miracles all have played their part.....

Swarfy.

Additional. Gynaecological skills also useful....

Online limeyrob

• Resident Legend
Swarfy, you forgot the blood sacrifice *smile*
Slough 59 GF/SR

Online groily

• Wise & Enlightened
    • www.brightsparkmagnetos.com
the comb will be assist, but it's best clamped somehow
Is how I used mine, clamped to top cyl head fin on drive side using a small G cramp. Won't say it made it easy, but a bit easiER.
(I'd still rather do an A than a Notrun twin.)
Bill

Offline sean

• Valued Contributor
I find it easier to use a light and curved dental picks  than the comb , also put a dab of grease on the ends of the pushrod it help keep them in place in the cups .........wonder how they did it in the factory ?

Offline chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
Hi All,
Two rubber bands looped across inlet and exhaust rockers will extend the pushrod ends of the rockers downwards making it a bit easier to engage the pushrods
+ everyone else's comments

John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Offline RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
Comb nearly free,if you do what I did. I eventually found the original.

https://www.a7a10.net/forum/index.php?topic=368.msg3492#msg3492

Richard L.

Offline bikerboy

• Valued Contributor
I find I can get a finger in to feel if the pushrods are in or not maybe I have freaky long fingers :)

BSA A10 x 4
BSA A65 Lightning
Triumph T150v
Tribsa (A10 frame 750 Bonnie motor)

Offline Superflash

• Tony
  • A's Good Friend
Bought myself one of those USB endoscopes that plug into your phone. It has LED lights around the lens and lights the whole rocker box interior. Makes life a whole lot easier.
68 Trophy
74 Trident
74 XLCH Sportster x 2
86 Liberty Sportster
07 FXDWG (current)
53 BSA A10 Bitsa (WIP)
72 Triumph Bonneville

Online limeyrob

• Resident Legend
Good call, I have one of those but would never have thought of it for this job.
Slough 59 GF/SR

Offline Jlad

• Active
Hi guys just an update got an alignment tool and managed to fit all together well. I adjusted the tappets and it started second kick but there seems to be a tapping noise now could the tappets be making this noise? The noise does sound like it's coming more from the bottom than the top though.  Again any pointers would be great