Author Topic: Bike still not charging  (Read 526 times)

Offline Worty

• The drayman's friend!
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Procrastination is the thief of time!
Bike still not charging
« on: 12.04. 2024 10:55 »
Went for a 220m ride yesterday.  Bike was superb except that it still won't charge and ammeter doesn't move at all.  Battery was reasonably ok, but is now dead.  The lights will brighten with the engine running, so dynamo must be ok.  At my wits end as to know what the problem is (always had issues with electrics).  When there's power in the battery, and with the engine off, when the lights are turned on they barely light then, after about a minute or so, they come on full.  I've run earths to everywhere I can think of, and have been advised to do, but no joy.  All the connections seem secure to the dynamo and regulator - just don't know what else could be wrong?? *pull hair out* *pull hair out* *pull hair out* *angry* *angry* *angry*

Only issue with the big trip out was  hitting a massive pothole covered with water and jamming the forks down solidly. *angry* *angry* *angry*  When I got to my destination, five minutes of bashing the sliders with a rubber mallet finally pinged them back up again. *woo*

Oh, and I didn't forget the oil tap *bright idea* *good3*
Current Bikes😎
Kwaka W650
'61 Flash

Past Bikes👍
'49 B31
'59 BMW R60
Yam FS1-E, YB100, RS100, RD200DX,250DX,350B, XS750
MZ250

Offline chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: Bike still not charging
« Reply #1 on: 12.04. 2024 12:03 »
Hi Worty,
I would think that the battery has an internal fault,
Try another battery or even jump leads from another bike or car if the A10 is 12 volt.
If still the same maybe bad contacts on the headlamp switch

John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Offline Worty

• The drayman's friend!
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 12.04. 2024 12:16 »
Hi Worty,
I would think that the battery has an internal fault,
Try another battery or even jump leads from another bike or car if the A10 is 12 volt.
If still the same maybe bad contacts on the headlamp switch

John

Thanks John!  Would a duff battery cause the ammeter to not move, or would the regulator still try and get power to it??  I'll get a new battery for it, and possibly rewire the switch just in case, then see what happens.

What I can say is that the battery type was always a bit rubbish (Westco, I think).  I had a two free replacements due to failures, but this one has lasted longer.  It did seem things improved with a good battery, so I suspect your advice is spot on.

Still running on 6v, what Ah would you recommend?

Current Bikes😎
Kwaka W650
'61 Flash

Past Bikes👍
'49 B31
'59 BMW R60
MZ250

Offline Worty

• The drayman's friend!
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 12.04. 2024 18:45 »
I went with your advice John and put a spare battery on it (6v 8ah showing 6.7v across the poles).  All the lights work on the switch, including the full/dip beam.  Horn works find, as does the brake light.  Ammeter shows discharge with lights on.  I've not started it yet to see if it shows charge, but I suspect it will.

When I tested the battery, there wasn't enough power to illuminate a torch bulb - absolutely nothing.  When I put it on charge with my bike smart charger, it flashed red and green (charger voltage not matched to battery voltage).  I guess this means that it is totally goosed.

So, my guess is that because the battery is completely duff, the ammeter simply won't show charge or discharge as nothing is coming out of or going into the battery.  Is this about right?
Current Bikes😎
Kwaka W650
'61 Flash

Past Bikes👍
'49 B31
'59 BMW R60
MZ250

Online berger

• Wise & Enlightened
  • keith.uk 500sscafe.norbsa JDM honda 750fz
« Reply #4 on: 12.04. 2024 18:49 »
Worty go for the biggest AH 6v batt you can fit in your hole, you don't want 6v 4 AH stuff you want 6v 9 AH maybe 11AH , ps i'm glad it took you 200 + miles i wouldn't even trust mine to do that in one go  *lol* *lol*

Offline Worty

• The drayman's friend!
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 12.04. 2024 19:17 »
Worty go for the biggest AH 6v batt you can fit in your hole, you don't want 6v 4 AH stuff you want 6v 9 AH maybe 11AH , ps i'm glad it took you 200 + miles i wouldn't even trust mine to do that in one go  *lol* *lol*

I've had the 8ah for a while, but it's still in good shape so thought I'd try it - looks good so far.  I'll boost the power bit when this one goes south, just pleased that it may just work (can't believe the old one had any power left in it).

Went down to Stafford to see my brother, going down Ladybower way then cutting across near Monyash.  Hit the whopping pothole at the Snake Pass end of Mortimer Road.  Stopped at a tractor repair place in Tydesdale (I think).  Really nice fella helped but we couldn't shift it at the time.  When I came back near Hathersage, there was a nasty accident and the cops had shut the road.  Did a U turn and ended up on the Sheffield ring road heading to the M1 junction one down from the Tinsley Viaduct.  Just headed home from there.

Bike was excellent throughout, great through the rev range and sounds lovely.  Up the motorway was cruising at 65-70 quite happily.  Occasionally, I think I can year a sort of 'thump' from the engine (like a heavy sound when light revving waiting at lights, etc), but it's only once or twice and doesn't affect how sweetly it runs.  Guess it could easily be something else (I remember losing some padding under the tank and getting horrendous 'booming' noises at certain revs).

I also put some padding on the seat to see if I could get away with 'sore bum syndrom' and it seems to have worked.  Need to check out GB's youtube post again.

So, I've sorted the fuel tap leak, hopefully the electrics, and the wet sumping.  I've also noticed that I don't get as much oil leak when I turn the oil off, as the crankcases are trying to hold on to less oil. *woo* *beer* *beer* *beer*
Current Bikes😎
Kwaka W650
'61 Flash

Past Bikes👍
'49 B31
'59 BMW R60
MZ250

Online berger

• Wise & Enlightened
  • keith.uk 500sscafe.norbsa JDM honda 750fz
« Reply #6 on: 12.04. 2024 20:06 »
worty start a new thread and tell me the crankcase halves and timing side covers and barrel and head and rocker box are NOT leaking , but your sump plate and drive side are, then i will be happy . ps you should have called in on way back .

Offline Worty

• The drayman's friend!
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 12.04. 2024 23:59 »
worty start a new thread and tell me the crankcase halves and timing side covers and barrel and head and rocker box are NOT leaking , but your sump plate and drive side are, then i will be happy . ps you should have called in on way back .

I'll tell you this really quickly so I don't get told off by Caretaker. - you are correct in everything you've just said - only some tiny leaks from the sump plate and drive cover, but nothing serious at all.  In fact, with the oil turned off, virtually nothing from the sump plate.  Drive side just needs a small top up now and again, but the rest is oiltight (get some weeping from the oil tank unions, speedo drive and some from the gearbox).

I was thinking of calling in, but my lights were dodgy and I needed to get back.  Must have passed within a few miles of you, but time was racing on and I'd not had my tea *ex* Anyhow, it gives me another excuse for a ride out - next bit of decent weather and I'll drop you a text mate. *good3* *beer* *beer*  Half crossed my mind to call in re the forks jamming up, but I'd probably end up in the pub sampling B&Ts *pull hair out* *wink2* *beer* *beer*
Current Bikes😎
Kwaka W650
'61 Flash

Past Bikes👍
'49 B31
'59 BMW R60
MZ250