Author Topic: Longer Kick Start  (Read 1139 times)

Offline Scott and Jay

• A's Good Friend
Longer Kick Start
« on: 04.04. 2024 04:00 »
Hi there,
I saw a mention in this thread:- https://www.a7a10.net/forum/index.php?topic=7010.msg48758#msg48758, about the "Disastrous Rebuild" - a Triumph Trident kickstart was going to be tried. This was longer and would give more leverage. I was thinking of getting a longer kick start (lever) somehow, myself. Jay's kickstart, on his A65 Thunderbolt - has much more leverage. This is designed in, internally - and known to be much easier than the A10. My trouble starting, in the recent rally we attended, over 6 days travelling - was partly, now, due to less bodyweight and power in my legs. Even though I have IMD flat-top pistons there was enough skimming necessary, for the flanged liners I got with them and to straighten a crooked barrel base - that I calculate it could be as much as 8.25:1. It feels like that.
I wonder if anyone has any thoughts on this, and if not too frowned-upon - what could be a suitable longer replacement, than the standard A10 item?

Offline JulianS

• 1962 A10
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: Longer Kick Start
« Reply #1 on: 04.04. 2024 12:38 »
I tried an A65 type kickstart (being sold by dealers as fitting the A10) on my A10 a few years back. About 2 cm longer than the A10. Not quite the same bend, got very close to the silencer and when folded the rubber rested on the oil tank. I did not like it so changed back to the A10 folding type.

A bit easier to kick over than the original but because of the greater length your kickstarting foot moves further for the same angle of movement so your engine spins a little slower and perhaps you get a little weaker spark from the magneto?

Online limeyrob

• Resident Legend
« Reply #2 on: 04.04. 2024 16:26 »
I don't think there are any easy answers. You will see from another thread that I recently rebuilt a Matchless single and couldn't start it because the engine was tight and I could not get enough speed.  I ended up getting a paddock starter and using that to get it running, now after about an hours running it starts on the kick start.  I too looked at longer kick starts but the mag needs some speed so I'm not sure the trade off for easy kicking works.  Fine with a coil but not so sure with a mag.
I'm 69 with dodgy knees and found that a lot of my problem was not really going for it, setting myself up to fail.  10 kicks that never quite spin the engine is exhausting when only one that does is needed.  I used to be able to kick a Goldie so I went back to how i used to do that and really jumped on it and of course it started.  So I'm working on getting my technique back.  My Road Rocket has a center stand (and 9:1 pistons) so my plan is to try starting on the stand. I'm building the bottom end at the moment so I don't know if this is solution or not.
Is yours manual or auto advance?  If the mag is a bit tired you get a better spark near full advance.
Slough 59 GF/SR

Online berger

• Wise & Enlightened
  • keith.uk 500sscafe.norbsa JDM honda 750fz
« Reply #3 on: 04.04. 2024 18:42 »
i have a long en on mine and no problems starting it, i put the long en on because it worked better for me than the little en.

Online limeyrob

• Resident Legend
« Reply #4 on: 04.04. 2024 19:02 »
I like that, I can see myself looking for something similar in a few weeks *smile*
What was it from or did you make it?
Slough 59 GF/SR

Online berger

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 04.04. 2024 19:42 »
Rob i cut out a block of steel when i had access to big stuff at work, i drilled out for the kickstart shaft and drilled out for the kicker pin. then slipped the kickstart on and put the pin in and filed a radius to make it clear the edge of the block when folding in and out, then drilled two little cup holes for the ball bearing to locate in when it is folded in or opened out.  then i put the block on the shaft and marked where the shaft had to be drilled for the roll pin to get it in the correct position, this can be seen on the shaft where i marked it with a hacksaw blade *bright idea*  a 5/16th roll pin was used and it's been like this over 40 years now *yeah* . pics are of my spare block i made at the same time thinking i might need it one day and fit a different japanese bike kickstart.  who knows it might get used one day on the berger build, i have a BSA kickstart for the berger build but might do the same as betsy has, i will see when the time comes *beer* hehehe i have just seen my trial and error with the position of the ball bearing when it is folded in, that was when i was 20 years old , oh well not much changes ,i told you i wasn't a real welderer or engineerer , but i can play pool and drink like mario lanzer  *beer*

Online chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 05.04. 2024 00:44 »
Hi All,
My 2 cents worth on this,  I find that standard gearing on A10's is too low for modern traffic
A side benefit of fitting a 22 or 23 tooth engine sprocket is easier kick starting

John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Online Jules

• Resident Legend
  • 1956 A10 s/arm Golden Flash
« Reply #7 on: 05.04. 2024 02:40 »
thats an interesting option John, is the kicking over significantly easier? would you mind just walking through the effects of this change for me please - I want to be sure that I have grasped the concept before jumping on board because of your comment regarding the std A10's gearing being too low for modern traffic ie the interpretation of too low is often confusing wrt ratios vs effects!
Kicking over is becoming a significant issue for more and more of us as we age  *eek* *sad2*

Online limeyrob

• Resident Legend
« Reply #8 on: 05.04. 2024 10:29 »
Very timely discussion.  I'm sitting here waiting for a UPs delivery of a 16T engine sprocket for my Matchless green-laner. The 18t makes 1 st too high off road.  But of course I completely forgot about the effect on the kickstart ratio (doh) so this could be a challenge.  If I can't kick it it's back to 18t and get a larger rear wheel sprocket, a much harder task.
Slough 59 GF/SR

Online Colsbeeza

• Resident Legend
« Reply #9 on: 05.04. 2024 11:21 »
Scott & Jay, Interesting problem. I also fitted IMD's to my standard 1960 Golden Flash engine (in a 1961 frame) during my rebuild and a very fine hone finish to the bores. It has been almost impossible to kickstart. I can stand on it with full weight for minutes and it just won't move. I had an old A10 owner club member try it and his response was "What pistons have you got in this?". They are the standard 7.25 to 1 flat top pistons on first overbore, but I also had all guides replaced and new valves, and set all ring gaps to 12 thou so I believe there is just no gas leakage. I also have a 21-tooth engine sprocket which I thought might improve the kickstart but no noticeable improvement. Soon after I had a right knee replacement and fitted an electric leg (June 2022). Although the knee now is great, I just kick over to free the clutch and just touch the button. The motor has 850 miles on it now and getting no easier. I think the composite oil rings are partly to blame.
Col
1961 Golden Flash
Australia

Online chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #10 on: 05.04. 2024 11:59 »
Hi All,
Jules,
With a 23 tooth engine sprocket and otherwise std gearing my SR indicates approx 3300rpm at 60 mph, 4000 at 70
100/90 X 19 rear tyre
It has no problems with taking off on a hill two up either..
Comparing the effort in kickstartong mine vs a friend's A10 or my brothers SR there is definitely a difference.
Having had  the same as Col, right knee replacement, I have an electric starter fitted for the last couple of years

John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Offline Worty

• The drayman's friend!
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Procrastination is the thief of time!
« Reply #11 on: 05.04. 2024 19:17 »
Bergs has an 8ft piece of scaffolding on his *smile*
Current Bikes😎
Kwaka W650
'61 Flash

Past Bikes👍
'49 B31
'59 BMW R60
Yam FS1-E, YB100, RS100, RD200DX,250DX,350B, XS750
MZ250

Online berger

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #12 on: 05.04. 2024 21:25 »

Bergs has an 8ft piece of scaffolding on his *smile*
yes worty it brings all the girls to the yard , pun intended  ;) :-:

Online Jules

• Resident Legend
  • 1956 A10 s/arm Golden Flash
« Reply #13 on: 06.04. 2024 01:39 »
thanks John, it is indeed worthy of a bit of discussion (for me anyway!) and apologies for asking a simple question too - just what is the standard engine sprocket (I've never thought to count the teeth!)?
I note that Col has a 21 which he thought might help, but didn't, and John, you are using 23, thats a big change in gearing in itself...
Your comment ref hill starting 2 up is a great prompt John, simply because "back in the day" I remember having to slip the clutch quite a lot on hill starting and we certainly didn't talk about changing engine sprocket sizing back then (mind you the magic ton was always the goal back then too)!!

Offline Scott and Jay

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #14 on: 07.04. 2024 08:57 »
Thanks for all the replies on this. Very interesting. I have a 22 - tooth drive sprocket. When I got the IMDs Adrian Wright the proprietor said "you don't gap them" (the rings). I noticed they were special, thin and deep and a good 3-piece oil ring. Anyway, I think I will just see if I can swop with Jay's (A65) kickstart, and try that. I might be able to report back..