Author Topic: Which carburettor  (Read 930 times)

Offline Black Sheep

• Wise & Enlightened
    • Where black sheep live
Re: Which carburettor
« Reply #15 on: 17.05. 2024 06:58 »
"Seems to me that the whole point of owning these old machines is to get them and keep them as close to stock as is possible."
Why? No upgrades at all? If you actually use them, a TLS front brake seems a sensible mod to me as does upgrading to 12 volt electrics.
Is putting an alloy head on a Flash wrong? Is painting it black wrong? Is adding a rev counter wrong? Just askin'.

2 twins, 2 singles, lots of sheep

Online limeyrob

• Resident Legend
« Reply #16 on: 17.05. 2024 08:39 »
I have a foot in both camps on this one.  If its largely original after 70 years I like to keep it that way and perhaps even correct the few bits that are wrong, but if, like both my current bikes, its been heavily messed with in the past, then I prefer to get it to be the best working bike withing sensible limits.
My A10 began its life as a Golden Flash but some time in the 80 or 90's someone decided to make it onto a Road Rocket, later another owner tried to turn it into an RGS, it last ran in 2006 and the RGS owner had no idea what they were doing.
So the Monoblock is long gone, I junked the Concentric 626 and fitted a 930 and I'm aiming for a good working Golden Flash / Road Rocket mash up.  The world doesn't need anymore RGS knock offs and taking it back to original would be too much work, and why take off the ally head, TLS front brake and 4 spring clutch?
Slough 59 GF/SR

Online Rex

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #17 on: 17.05. 2024 10:01 »
I agree with that, and I too can see both sides. There's sensible upgrades (like 12V, oil filter, maybe even TLS) and there's upgrades for the sake of it, like Mikuni's, belt drives etc.
Never had tuning problems with Amals of any variety, but then if we wanted the perfect bike for the 21st century wouldn't we just buy a Honda?

Online berger

• Wise & Enlightened
  • keith.uk 500sscafe.norbsa JDM honda 750fz
« Reply #18 on: 17.05. 2024 11:56 »
haha rex wouldn't we just buy a handa , well yes and i like these two bikes as much as i like black&tans