Author Topic: XA7 280 runs again !!  (Read 365 times)

Offline Brandis

• A's Good Friend
XA7 280 runs again !!
« on: 17.02. 2024 20:23 »
With all your genius and despite all my stupidity, we got it started.  The bike was put on the back burner for a while.  But today, with some squirts of oil in the cylinders and on the valves and a young man's leg,  . . .
Now to check it out and set it up.  I'll do the Colourtune to check the mix.  I'll open the oil banjo to the rocker arm shaft and hope for some oil. Check for oil return. And then, to loosen things up, I'll idle it for awhile with a good fan on the engine.  Then re-check the valve clearances.
I know these first 200 had serious oiling issues so I had drilled the big ends as someone suggested.  I guess there's a place to do a temporary hook up for an oil pressure test?    Any other tips ?
47 A7

Offline Swarfcut

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: XA7 280 runs again !!
« Reply #1 on: 18.02. 2024 09:45 »
  You'll do better to ride it than let it idle. Modern oils are a recipe for low friction, but in the first few moments of running the bores and rings need a certain loading to break in. Idling is more likely to give you a glazed bore and poor sealing.  Cheapo supermarket oil was always my choice for a first fill. But even these days that's now pretty good.

Oil return to the tank is the usual way to check all is well. Some folks modify the PRV to take a gauge, but if oil issues from the PRV cavity when you kick it over, that shows the delivery side of the pump is working.

Well done, got (possibly) the earliest survivor to run again.

Swarfy.

Offline Brandis

• A's Good Friend
Re: XA7 280 runs again !!
« Reply #2 on: 18.02. 2024 14:01 »
Yes, I was wondering.  Is there a registry of serial #s I might find to see who's ahead of me?
47 A7