Author Topic: trailer  (Read 311 times)

Offline RDfella

• Wise & Enlightened
trailer
« on: 26.01. 2024 18:27 »
Don't go for long rides on my bikes, usually only half hour spins but, nevertheless, too far from home to walk back in event of a breakdown. Could phone my partner to collect me, but were I to return with my van, the chance of getting the bike inside would be zero. I don't have breakdown cover (£600 extra on my fleet policy) and the breakdown guy I've used for decades is semi-retired and doesn't have kit for bikes anyway. Could take a boat trailer and crane, but what a palaver.
And so I considered something I could take with me in my van for collecting the bike that wouldn't take up too much space or be impossible for me to lift (strength is really declining with age). Pic is what I came up with. Good enough for a slow, short journey - assuming at least one wheel is functional. Obviously I'd lash the wheel to the front upright.
'49 B31, '49 M21, '53 DOT, '58 Flash, '62 Flash special, '00 Firestorm, Weslake sprint bike.

Offline Colsbeeza

• Resident Legend
Re: trailer
« Reply #1 on: 27.01. 2024 03:54 »
Hi RDF, That's a great idea. Until I deem my BSA to be ultra-reliable, I always have to consider how to get it home after a breakdown. Sofar I set up the trailer with tiedowns etc and tell the missus to stay near home in case she gets a call.
Col
1961 Golden Flash
Australia